Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing prospectors

+35
red devil
73Steve
Pebbles
Jack-Tar
AussieAU
rarebreed
Lucky Eddie
Ttrash
Bignuggs
craigant
toad
Since1981
Shaz
Tkinggold
Chrispet
gold n beer
S & J v
ChrisVanstrike
kaethe
Hopperite
BIG GEM
Mingo
CrazyPete
Flying kiwi
picknshovel
Evan2010
Inhere
Flouro
madmav
wizman
Nightjar
cruiser1
martinjsto
aussie18
offthegrid
39 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Missing prospectors - Page 6 Empty Missing prospectors

Post by offthegrid Wed 01 Apr 2015, 6:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Two prospectors missing on channel 9 news
No more imfo.
offthegrid
offthegrid

Back to top Go down

Missing prospectors - Page 6 Empty Re: Missing prospectors

Post by peterau Mon 31 Oct 2016, 5:24 am

A plb and a gps live on my harness 24/7. If i'm working alone then also carry sat phone on my harness otherwise always carry in my car. Your a long time dead

peterau

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 31 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

Karen and myself both have a plb with us always when out bush. No sat phone but we are weary of reception areas foe out mobiles We try to always travel with others and let family know where we are heading . I have many common spare parts and a good tool kit. All that said i wouldnt be too happy if a search was called off after 10 days as this is when food and water will be getting short imo there is no revenue in searching for a lost prospector but plenty to be had on the highway.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Mon 31 Oct 2016, 8:39 pm

Whether WAPOL concede it or not the almighty dollar is the bottom line in relation to searches of this nature.

This was evidenced by the lacklustre manner in which they responded to the Kehletts going missing. After several inadequate responses, and then realising there was a real problem, they threw everything they had at it but the horse had bolted so to speak. Crucial evidence was lost and for all intent we seem no closer to closing this matter than we were 18 months ago.
No doubt the officer controlling this recent search would have been sweating on when to call off the effort, tossing up if he was going to be labelled as doing so prematurely or as a waster of WAPOL resources and money. Bearing in mind that he would be "marked" by his peers depending on the outcome, and future advancement/promotion would be either enhanced or harmed.
Unfortunately it would appear that more weight is given to saving dollars, than being thorough but not achieving the desired result. It is an ingrained attitude within WAPOL unfortunately. Seems they are willing to throw dollars at simple to manage, feel good traffic blitzes and the like, but not at the things we want to be assured they can manage properly and professionally.
Just my opinion.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 01 Nov 2016, 6:05 am

I still believe the WAPOL are being unfairly targeted here for causing this couple to be out in the wild for 10 days.
The fisherman recently went fishing in the SW without telling anyone where he was heading and his empty boat has now washed up Lancelin way.
Regardless of whether someone is overdue/lost, traffic, violence or related incidents there has to be guidelines.
We have an increasing society who are not prepared to be responsible for their own actions.
Witnessed a perfect example yesterday in a carpark. Young woman opened the door of her car, the wind caught it and it slammed into the car next door. As they were expecting damage overheard her mother say, "You should be more careful!"
The reply was, "It wasn't my fault the wind did it."
With regards to our hobby am all for a PLB being part and partial of a Miners Right.

Nightjar
Nightjar

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper Fri 21 May 2021, 8:51 pm

Well finally the coroners verdict......

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/prospector-was-killed-in-remote-outback-by-mystery-murderer-coroner-20210521-p57u1d.html

I somehow don't think this is the end of it......

I personally think WAPOL and the murderer got away with it......

Shabby shabby shabby.......
Viper
Viper

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper Fri 13 Aug 2021, 4:48 pm

Another prospector seems to have come to grief near Norrie, (Meekatharra). The Northern highway is very audible from that location so realistically he (sadly) cannot be lost. As you may have read, like the Kellets the Police have called off the search.... Would this all have
been different if his name was Mark McGowan?
Viper
Viper

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper Wed 14 Jun 2023, 8:39 am

The Kelhet saga contimues.... and so it should......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-13/clue-found-in-mineshaft-where-ray-kehlets-remains-removed/102474332

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-15/ray-jennie-kehlet-rick-sandstone-search/102480686
Viper
Viper

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper Fri 16 Jun 2023, 8:31 am

Albeit Seven Years too late

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-16/police-dig-up-mine-shaft-where-ray-kehlets-body-was-found/102485424
Viper
Viper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6