Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More info on the wild dog problem. MERGED WITH DOGS IN THE GOLDFIELDS

+9
mulgadansa
albo
matelot
Stingray
purple-dragon
goldstrijk
martinjsto
Bignuggs
Dirtfisher
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

More info on the wild dog problem. MERGED WITH DOGS IN THE GOLDFIELDS - Page 2 Empty More info on the wild dog problem. MERGED WITH DOGS IN THE GOLDFIELDS

Post by Dirtfisher Sat 08 Jun 2013, 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Is It a good idea to take city dogs out to the goldfields, just wondering what other members do.
Cheers
Steve

Dirtfisher

Back to top Go down

More info on the wild dog problem. MERGED WITH DOGS IN THE GOLDFIELDS - Page 2 Empty Re: More info on the wild dog problem. MERGED WITH DOGS IN THE GOLDFIELDS

Post by Guest Sat 28 Sep 2013, 3:49 am

I have been visiting the Cue area for many years now and have never encountered any dogs either Dingo's or strays, but have seen the odd track here and there,but last time there I was out along the Lakeside road and while wandering about I saw lots of fresh dog tracks in the scrubby creek line areas, more than I had ever seen before, didn't see or hear any though, but after seeing so many tracks about I would have to assume that they have definitely increased in numbers around there as well.

I don't think that the dingo's are a problem to our safety as they tend to be a bit shy, we have heard them in the hills during the night but they tend to keep their distance, the wild dogs are another story as I have heard of attacks already, one on a train driver in the Pilbara and another on bloke I met, who showed me the scars on his legs and hands, that was north of Meekatharra he said he was waiting to get picked up by a work mate, while waiting a pack of about 4-5 dogs appeared out of the bush and had a go at him, he fended them off with a stick, the arrival of his mate in the vehicle sent them bolting back into the bush.

Just a case of keeping your wits about you, I think pepper spray would be the go, as far as I know there's no legal way of being able to carry a handgun in the bush, so for now will just have to make do with the pick.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

More info on the wild dog problem. MERGED WITH DOGS IN THE GOLDFIELDS - Page 2 Empty Re: More info on the wild dog problem. MERGED WITH DOGS IN THE GOLDFIELDS

Post by martinjsto Sat 28 Sep 2013, 7:25 am

yep gotta luv our laws. its one of the most dangerous occupations/hobbies you could do with little or no chance of rescue due to remoteness and a real possibility to get attacked by a pack of dogs and no consideration of allowing hand guns as defense and I think you will find pepper spray illegal too. we could always just yell at them to go away and hope your pick can defend you from 2 or more dogs, good luck with that.... after witnessing 2 small blue healers take down a very fit fully grown man in minutes, i dont like your chances with just a pick. me, a large sharp pig sticker and a rifle will do fine.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

if anyone is interested in doing a course on Vermin control CERT 3 let me know--there are only 1 or 2 courses per year,, costs $1500 app. for all inclusive 5 days, bring your own rifle and ammo.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Oct 2013, 4:41 pm

oneday monday wrote:if anyone is interested in doing a course on Vermin control CERT 3 let me know--there are only 1 or 2 courses per year,, costs $1500 app. for all inclusive 5 days, bring your own rifle and ammo.

regards
oneday
Ray, you are kidding me right? But then again, nothing would surprise when the greenies and the govts get involved. What happened to the Australia I came to in that leaky boat just a few short months ago?Embarassed 

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 02 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

Dingos are full on at the mine where I work atm . There coming  in mobs of 4-6 or so  to the wet mess in the arvo ,jumping up on tables stealing crib bags , blokes losing phones &wallets etc  
if theres a bounty, il clean up here.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:47 pm

I got a knock back today for permission to shoot on a station.  So be careful out there.
It's make me wonder if they are really worried about it.  I don't know, seems baiting is the way they want to go.
Evidence shows that baiting is not truly successful but it appears it's the way the station holders want to go.
Take into account that there are a lot of stations that no longer run stock, it makes ya wonder what is going on.
Just my opinion.

PS. another conspiracy theory lol!
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 4:47 pm

Cliff--if u have CERT 3 in Vermin control this will open up the station doors...it allows u to bait with strick9 as well as shoot as well as trap..
Station owners can legally pay u to control vermin and its a legal tax deduction coz of your registration / lic number.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Fri 04 Oct 2013, 5:17 pm

Gday All
Had an unnerving experience out at Paynesville (between Sandstone and Mt Magnet) two years ago. Wandering along detecting by myself, about five km from the car and rifle, got a feeling something wasn't right and had a good look around and there was this big black mother of a wild dog following me. Alsatian type of thing. I reckon it was lucky there was only one, as it took a fair bit of dissuading to get it to bugger off.
I'm keeping my ears open for an unlicensed handgun but I like the pepper spray idea too. I'd rather get rid of the bloody dogs but.
When we had proper doggers in the goldfields this wasn't an issue but the govt saw fit to do away with them and now everyone's paying for it.
Sooner or later someone will get done by a pack of these buggers. Be careful.
Watch out for those mongrel camels too Very Happy , they're moving into the Murchison. A big bull would be a handfull to deal with on foot.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 04 Oct 2013, 5:39 pm

Keep everything legal, and I mean firearms.  
The last thing detectorists need is someone on our back.
At the moment, I guess we have to take our chances where ever we are.
I don't like it, but thats the way it is.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Fri 04 Oct 2013, 8:43 pm

as far as I understand it from fellow land holders in the south west, if you have a fire arm licence and a permit to transport it you can legally carry your fire arm with you in your vehicle. the station holders can restrict your shooting on their station but cannot stop you having one with you, I may be wrong on this but its as I understand the law. in an emergency dog attack you would be a fool to try to hold someone accountable for firing off a round or two as the law of the land and survival  over rides local bylaws. of course be respectful and always do the right thing with the lease holders but I am sure they are not targeting prospectors directly especially with your life at stake but the cowboys that shoot anything that moves types and  i am sure they wouldn't mind if you had to shoot a dog. I wouldn't endorse any illegal firearm in any fashion but what about a mini can of WD40, the jet type spray and the solvent based oil would surely send them running, not game to test it on my dog lol affraid but I am sure it would be effective.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Fri 04 Oct 2013, 8:47 pm

I agree Cliff, keep it legal. As far as pepper spray goes, I've looked into it further and it is legal to purchase in WA, you can buy it over the counter if you are over 18.

Be careful where you carry it though. You should have a good reason to have it on you and the dog issue is a good reason (ie. don't walk the streets with it).

The legality gets hazy if you use it on a person. No one is advocating that. We are talking about carrying it in the bush in areas where there are wild dogs that pose a real threat to your safety.

I see no problem with carrying it and using it for the purpose we have been discussing.

Cheers
stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:29 pm

I like the idea of carrying a small can of pepper spray, where can you buy the stuff in Perth?

Woteva

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2013, 8:57 am

There is a small stall in the eastern end of Mandurah Forum that used to sell it, not sure about now.
I was thinking about a small butane auto ignite gas torch to discourage them.
akko

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sat 05 Oct 2013, 9:51 am

Akko , theres always the tector in the right hand & picK in the left , if they come in too close shove the coil at em & when he  grabs it , just close the deal with  the ol pick , a left hand down shot into the swede mate . iv  been there but it didn't come to that , but I noticed there was one cheaky one & the runts follow , give the leader the shts & off they go off.albo.

Last edited by albo on Sat 05 Oct 2013, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 05 Oct 2013, 10:10 am

You can get pepper spray from the following. but be mindful that it comes under the Weapons Act of 1999.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/Pepper-Spray-10gm.html

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/listProduct/SECURITY/PEPPER+SPRAYS

http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation/statutes.nsf/main_mrtitle_1070_homepage.html

cheers
Cliff

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:00 am

i just phoned the WA police Perth who directed me to the Kalgoorlie branch to hear their take on pepper spray and wild animals.
as far as they are concerned, if you have some on your possession in a pouch or bag and use it for only self defense against wild animals then they have no problem with it. the term "in self defense" you still have to be careful with interpretation.
if used against another person then charges can be laid against you depending on the situation. if used against a wild animal then there is no issue.
use common sense as the cops understand the wild animal issue we face and are trying to be helpful but it only takes some drunk fool to stuff things up.
keep safe out there.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:41 am

Thanks for the info Biggnuggs and martinjsto, your one step in front of me with regards to contacting the Police. I spoke with a fellow prospector the end of last prospecting season and he told me of his encounter with a wild dog up Meeka way. Nothing came of it but he said he was watched and believed, followed for a day, being on his own he was a bit concerned and moved on. Pepper spray will be a purchase I make before I go out next.
Woteva

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:53 am

One time on a trip up Mt Jackson way while detecting through a small wooded valley all of a sudden got that weird feeling come over me that I was being watched, it was a very intense feeling, the hair prickling on the back of my neck, very slowly I turned around expecting to see something behind me, but there was nothing to be seen, the feeling remained for a short time as I headed back the way I had come in.

Re crossing a sandy creek bed I could see my own foot prints along with several sets of dog tracks, so it appears that they had been stalking me or maybe just following out of curiosity, we had seen and heard many dogs in that particular area, one ran right up to a mate while he was taking a dump scaring the crap out of him (literally).

Some I had seen were all dingo in appearance but others ranged from black to black and white but all were about dingo sized, I don't think that one on its own would have the balls to have ago at you unless you surprised it, but if there were several then that might be a different matter.

One thing I have noticed is that they tend to use creek lines as a means to get about unseen during the day, so if you are detecting a creek or crossing over one keep your wits about you as I would say that if you are going to encounter dog's during the day that's where one or two would probably be lurking about.

In another area along the Sandstone road we were camped off the side of a sandy creek, there was a flock of cockies in the trees about a hundred metres away on the opposite side of the creek, just after dark while we started to cook our tea the cockies went mad screeching and carrying on like they do, we could hear something moving about in the creek and thought that it might have been a dog but didn't see anything, the next day when detecting through the creek we came across some dog tracks, it had probably smelled our food cooking and just came in to see what was going on, so just be aware that they might do this and chucking food tins,food scraps and bones about the place would only serve to attract them as well.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:33 am

Dingoes follow the creeks I guess not only for better chances of food & water, theres also the bonus of soft ground to traverse & they don't wear boots like us you know .
I always feel safer on hard bony ground , they hate it....  thinking like a dog , looking like a dog, its albo.scratch 
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

More info on the wild dog problem. MERGED WITH DOGS IN THE GOLDFIELDS - Page 2 Empty more info on the wild dog problem

Post by Scrub Mullet Mon 14 Oct 2013, 11:00 am

hi all, been up lake carey way, chased a brindle looking dog with the quad bike, fair size dog, there seems to be dog activity nearly every where ive been. they are a worry.
regards, chad.

Scrub Mullet

Back to top Go down

Post by AuHunter Thu 17 Oct 2013, 4:27 am

The spray sounds like a,great idea. I wonder if those little sound horns you can get for boating could help. When they are at a distance you could point it there way and it may be enough to have them move on. The horn could be used in other situations as well. I wonder if there is also a pressurised whistle with that frequency they don't like?

AuHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:27 pm

Chad they are everywhere now , even coastal cocky areas like Binu ,north of Northhampton  wa . Since the CALM  station buy up campaign , gone now , government policy to purchase struggling pastoral leases & turn it back to nature the dingo / dog problem  has  got out of control , here we go.... DOOLGUNNA , MOOLAGOOL , DIAMOND WELL stations , all about 1 mill acres each , all adjoining boundaries , many creek systems , no cockies doing mill runs anymore & pinging them , what do you reckon is going to happen . The struggling cockies around  that area & are still there & had generations of sheep have no chance now , even struggle with new born cattle , iv seen it  passing by, 6 cows trying to protect a young calf from 4-6 dingo  wolves & they don't stop till they get it . Always carry a good pick at least when tecting , they are packing up these days .  cheers ,albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 21 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

Well the first of this yearly seasons new litter of dingo pups are out & about in the east Pilbara .On the way out of the bus & straight to the wet mess this arvo , I saw 3 small ones jumping around & playing , one white one also , they are great dogs / wolves that would make great pets , don't bark , highly intelligent , poor buggers don't have much of a future tho ,just my 2 bobs worth ,albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 28 Oct 2013, 12:04 pm

i guess you all know of the general Hercules on youtube, his dog Apollo just ate a bait and died, he was a lovely little mate that will surely be missed. my heart goes out to you buddy.
unfortunately its the sign of the times and if your going to take them out with you then you must muzzled them 100% of the time with a quality full pouch type. else this is their future.
be warned they are intensifying the efforts, my son works for a lease holder in Payne's find and his boss was pictured recently organizing the baits for aerial drops, 1000's of them. they dont like it but they say its must be done.
bad situation all round when you cant take your best mate with you due to a man made dangers but its a tough dangerous environment for us all to survive out there for any amount of time.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Oct 2013, 12:22 pm

Bear in mind - if you take a dog onto a Pastoral Station, with or without the Station owners permission, and he sees it off the lead and the slightest bit away from the immediate surrounds of your camp - HE WILL SHOOT IT. He's entitled to. I've seen it done and you won't have a leg to stand on but you will have a dead dog to bury.

And that's coming from me that takes his little Australian Silky with him everywhere and has done so for 14 years - with never a muzzle on him but ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS on a lead or tied up. NO EXCEPTIONS.,,,,,,,,,,,and the little bugger knows it as well!

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next