Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves

5 posters

Go down

Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves Empty Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves

Post by Bignuggs Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:52 pm

Who would have guessed it.  I've been looking in the wrong direction.

Gold grows on Kalgoorlie trees

ELLE FARCIC, The West AustralianOctober 23, 2013, 6:03 am

A case of gold leaf in Kalgoorlie, where gold has been discovered in trees.

They say money doesn’t grow on trees but it seems gold does after researchers discovered tiny specks of gold in gum tree leaves in Kalgoorlie.

A study by CSIRO scientists, published today in the journal Nature Communications, found eucalyptus trees in the region were drawing up gold particles from metres below the ground.
The results showed gold was being taken up by the roots of the trees before being deposited in leaves and branches.

Lead author and geochemist Mel Linter said the “golden leaves” could help uncover big gold deposits buried deep underground.

“Some of these trees are quite deep-rooted and provide us with a window into what is happening down under,” he said.

“If the results are high in the leaves, then clearly that gold has got to come from somewhere, so it is very likely you’re going to find a source beneath the trees.”

It is believed leaf sampling could be used as a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly mineral exploration technique than traditional drilling.

The technique can also be used to find other metals such as zinc and copper.

Dr Lintern said exploration companies that sponsored the research and had early access to the results, were already sampling leaves for gold.

“They are very cagey of their success or otherwise but we definitely know there are companies that are out sampling leaves,” he said.

“What we are dealing with in exploration now is trying to find the more difficult mineral deposits, so new techniques have to be developed.”

While it is possible to uncover significant deposits beneath eucalypts containing gold particles, the trees themselves can only take up small amounts of gold.

The research team used a powerful X-ray microscope at the Australian Synchrotron in Melbourne to find the particles.

Australian Synchrotron principal scientist David Paterson described it as a “needle in a haystack” search.

“The specks of gold we found in the leaves were very small,” he said.
“If you scaled up one of these specks to be the size of a grain of sugar, what we have done is the equivalent of finding that

grain in an area the size of a football ground.”

Dr Paterson looked at about 25 leaves as part of the study and found gold particles in 70 per cent of them.

Last edited by Bignuggs on Sat 26 Oct 2013, 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves Empty New Gold Detector!!!!!

Post by Topcat Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:36 pm

Australian scientists have found a new way of detecting gold!!!!!!!!

Have a look here:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/10/23/gold-grows-gum-tree-leaves-study

Now where's my pet koala to go a collect a few leaves!!!!!!!LOL cheers cheers cheers 

Ted

HAVE WHEELS WILL TRAVEL
Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves Signature
Topcat
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves Empty Re: Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves

Post by albo Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:13 pm

Yep , Canada has been using the same technique for a while as well , via helicopter tree snip sampling.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves Empty Re: Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves

Post by Bignuggs Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:27 pm

I can see more of the goldfields being wiped out coz of the trees. I wonder what the tree huggers will have to say about it.
Interesting.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:20 pm

Whilst this may be a new article, it's an old subject. "Bio-sampling" of vegetation for mineral/metal tracing was being carried out about 20 odd years ago from what I recall in my old brain. This isn't "new" news.

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 5:11 am

Ahhh. I get it!
You wait for a bushfire then pan all the ground. Too easy.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:09 pm

And that begs the question, who lights the spinifex fires up north  Suspect
Might not be trees, but I wonder if the spinny has gold in it  lol!  kwdf

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:28 pm

Bio-prospecting using leaves? I'm with Cat, that's not new. They should think laterally and move up the food chain. Imagine what's in the little brown 'nuggets' that are dropped by critters that eat those leaves ...?drunken

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Look Up not Down - Merged threads about Gold & Gum Leaves Empty The End of Drilling? CSIRO shows Mother Nature has just unvailed it's new Gold Detector - The Eucalyptus Trees - near Kalgoorlie WA

Post by NuggieDreamer Sat 26 Oct 2013, 10:15 am

Finding Gold in Gumtrees!

Shizz, now you gotta get a megabuck CSIRO Micro leaf analyser to find gold...
Just when I thought they couldn't make something any more expensive than a flaming Minelab GPX 5000!
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down