Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wild dogs-

+9
cruiser1
Mingo
snapper
Nightjar
S & J v
martinjsto
gut feeling
mulgadansa
Bignuggs
13 posters

Go down

wild dogs- Empty wild dogs-

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jun 2014, 2:00 pm

a mate was on his way out to golden valley in the Pilbra region and at night came across about 5 wild dogs trying to down a young calf..

don't need to go into detail on their methods but trust me its pretty gruesome and unconventional. A real dog act

Just be aware that there are wild dogs out that part of the world and the stations out that way haven't baited --there are traps set but were they are set may be in the wrong areas..

that part of the world is VCL so its up to the Government to do something about it--well the rest is history.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

wild dogs- Empty Re: wild dogs-

Post by Bignuggs Sun 29 Jun 2014, 5:38 pm

One of our members had an interesting meeting with a dingo.  Hope you don't mind me posting this jase but it highlights something you should be looking out for.

It's not only the gold squad ya gotta look over your shoulder for. you never know whats coming up behind you.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Sun 29 Jun 2014, 6:34 pm

Gday Ray and Bign
These mongrels are becoming an issue for all prospectors I think. I got stalked by a big black Alsatian cross a couple of years ago between Magnet and Sandstone. By myself and five k's from the car and the bloody thing wanted me I reckon. Don't know what we can do but someone is going to end up in deep shite. The topic has come up on forums before with answers like pepper spray and such but they really need a bullet. Shame we can't carry a handgun with us :)
There's been reports of different folks being attacked by them too. Heard one story about an iron ore train driver stopping up there and a pack of them wanted him.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun 2014, 2:34 am

I don't actually think that the dingoes are any real threat to us, but I wouldn't be too sure about the feral crossbreeds, I have been stalked by dingoes on a couple of occasions, one time after getting the feeling that I was being watched and then when walking back the way I had come through a sandy creek, I could clearly see dog prints alongside my own footprints so it was apparent that they had been following and watching me. wild dogs- 490525052 

We had heard them wailing behind the hills where we camped on several nights so we knew they were about, some of the dogs I saw in that particular area appeared to be pure tan coloured dingoes but a couple of the others were also black and white, but for the most part they kept their distance, if you were wandering about at night on your own and there were several dogs together then you might present an easy meal for them, if several dogs can bring down a good sized roo then one "old fart" wouldn't present too big a challenge wild dogs- 4111366853 you might want to remember that they can see better than us in the dark so you would not know that they were there until they latched on to you, it would be a frightening experience to get set apon by a pack of dogs and a crappy way to die for sure. affraid 

au-fever

Back to top Go down

wild dogs- Empty wild dogs

Post by gut feeling Mon 30 Jun 2014, 5:16 am

prospector gave me good advice for wild dogs. A starter gun!
gut feeling
gut feeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun 2014, 7:15 am

Bignuggs wrote:
It's not only the gold squad ya gotta look over your shoulder for.  

Why would you need to be looking over your shoulder for the gold squad Cliff?

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun 2014, 7:30 am

Speaking of wild dogs...

wild dogs- Dogs_zps0b4b44d8

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 30 Jun 2014, 9:11 am

yes i agree au-fever, its more the cross breeds that are the worry, I have seen two skinny as, big nasty grey/black dogs when in Barwidgie and they were not car shy i have personally seen two domesticated blue healers take down a fit footy coach in only a few minutes at an oval and would of killed him easy if not for the team close by. three dogs and i think you will be history especially in the bush and they decided they wanted you. I think its only a matter of time unfortunately. BTW starter guns have to be non forward venting as they are prohibited but a great idea. dont ever take dogs for granted and keep your wits about you at all times.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S & J v Mon 30 Jun 2014, 9:22 am

When I was in Cue last July I picked up a booklet about cue, and it was suggested in it to carry a starter gun to scare off wild dogs.

Some fellow prospectors we met while in cue told me to be very carful about the dogs and how dangerous they could be, well from that day on I did constantly look around for signs and also take note from one of the other posts that suggested using speakers instead of headphones so you can hear what's around the bend.

They are both on my list for our trip in September

Cheers

Sandra

S & J v

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:25 am

When we were preparing for our venture in 2005 in search of Lasseter's Reef I went to the local Police Station and enquired about obtaining a licence for a hand gun.
The Sergeant queried why.
I informed him the feral camels were in plague proportions and wild dogs were a problem, considering we were going to be on foot when we reached our destination we needed protection.
After he picked himself up off the floor from uncontrollable laughter he informed me;
"Come with me, I can't grant you a handgun licence but will issue you a high powered rifle licence."

wild dogs- Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:56 am

Pretty sure all a hand gun is gunna do to a camel is make them even more p*ssed off,  wild dogs- 3179412840
Unless you got one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zILWzx6Q0aM

We don't have lions but when you start shooting at wild dogs or camels they will do one or the other, run away or charge.
This is what can happen when you start shooting, so make sure you can drop it before he gets to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Qbj1h0PPTK0

Last edited by snapper on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 11:37 am; edited 3 times in total
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo Mon 30 Jun 2014, 11:01 am

where would one go about finding a starter gun? I'd be keen to hear of any advise to type or brand as I'm off out there alone again pretty soon and the dogs have always been a concern. Carrying a rifle is near impossible and not sure of the strife for doing so even though common sense says one less dog is ok.

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 30 Jun 2014, 7:09 pm

goldnomad wrote:
Bignuggs wrote:
It's not only the gold squad ya gotta look over your shoulder for.  

Why would you need to be looking over your shoulder for the gold squad Cliff?

Robert

Have a read Robert.

http://www.detectingwestaustraliangold.com/t4491-interesting-and-a-reminder-to-us-all

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun 2014, 7:14 pm

A mates brother used to shoot dingoes/dogs, he told me exactly what has been mentioned by snapper that with feral dogs you had to be sure to drop them or they would sometimes come after you, shoot at them from a safe distance or be near your vehicle or even a tree so that you can get into safety if they do come your way.

I reckon pepper spray would be reasonably effective at close range and easier to carry, also as mentioned an external speaker will put the sh#ts up everything within a few hundred metres as their hearing is a lot better than ours, speakers tend to keep most of the wildlife away from you including cattle, goats, roo's, so dogs would not like it either, the last time away I watched what I thought was a dog belting through the bush because one of the guys was coming through on his quad, only glimpsed it briefly through the trees and the mate was several hundred metres away so making a lot of noise wherever you go might be useful too.

Also avoiding heavily brushed creek lines is advisable, firstly they are sometimes a water source and cover from the heat of the day, and also they are a means for the dogs to travel about looking for food during the day without being easily seen, I saw lots of signs of this activity around Cue last season, some of the tracks appeared very fresh, have good look about before you head through creek line and maybe even follow it along until you come on to a thinned out area before you cross over it.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 8:17 pm

Thanks au-fever for the info about dogs around the cue district.Am heading that way in a couple of weeks with biggest kev.Might bring back some pics of me on kevs shoulders if we encounter some dogs. Lol.Nah good info I will certainly be on the look out.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:38 pm

They never did find that poor soul the went missing from Menzies way a year or two back did they ?
Just a thought

RW
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Jul 2014, 3:18 am

Years back while out detecting with a mate he called me on the radio to come and have a look at a dingo den that he found, there was a pup yapping and hanging about the entrance, the den was just under some overhang of rock on the side of a bit of low breakaway, I could hear the yapping from time to time from where I was detecting but didn't know where it was coming from. scratch 

Went over to where he was for a look and watched the pup for awhile, but could see no sign of other pups or the mother, anyway after a bit he said he was going to go and get it and take it home, I had to convince him that was not a good idea, firstly how are you going to be able to look after it out here I asked him?, and as it looked about a couple of months old it was probably big enough to have a go at him as well, but apart from all that mum would not be far away and was probably already aware that we were close by and she will come after you. wild dogs- 490525052 

After a bit I said well if you insist on going to get it can you wait until I go back to the car and get my camera as it could be worth posting it on "funny home video's", if the mum comes back while you are trying to grab it, affraid  as I was convinced that she would not be too far away, anyway he thought better of it in the end and we left it where it was. wild dogs- 452991977 

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by keithy george Tue 08 Jul 2014, 10:48 am

there is a few spots around that have had real problems with dogs, its very rare to come across a "dingo" these days as most of the blood line has been bred into from things like roo dogs (people hunt roos with dogs) and mongrel breeds that have escaped ownership. if there is bugger all food around for the dogs (rabbits, roos, ect) they will be sniffing around your heels! if you are a licensed shooter, perhaps ring the land owner/station owner and ask if it is ok to have the rifle slung off your shoulder while you prospect and only chamber a round if you feel threatened. usually they wont mind as wild dogs are causing alot of grief for station owners.
keithy

keithy george

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon Tue 08 Jul 2014, 1:13 pm

I was talking to a mate in the force the other day about this and using a starter pistol to scare the dogs off ,he said he thought that I could legally carry one in this situation but no where else-so i looked at the availability of the pistols and was told by a retailer that they had pistols but could no longer supply the blanks for them,as it sounds like they may be a restricted import-dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tributer Wed 09 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm

Near Nullagine in a very dry lean year a few years back I was detecting a creek and then looked back to see 2 dingoes shadowing me only 40 metres behind me. I figured they were hoping I would kill something and they could get some food. I kept walking for 500 metres and they followed . Then five dingoes came running up the creek bed towards me and two of the younger ones were jumping over each other and playing. It was at that point I scuttled up the creek bank off loaded my detector pack and donned my gold pick in defence mode. After a minute or two and a couple of thrown rocks they headed off. I briskly headed towards the vehicle.

On a sadder note an experienced WA prospector who is a friend had his dog with him detecting for years. Then one night the dog walked into the shadows only five metres from the campfire and there were dingoes lucking that torn the poor dog up in seconds. A long drive to Newman, to the vets but the poor dog did not make it.
Tributer
Tributer
Tributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum