Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue

+3
Gold Diver
aussie18
martinjsto
7 posters

Go down

Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue Empty Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:56 am

Just over a week ago as we were leaving Cue early in the morning I spotted a pack of Wild Dogs on the roadside tearing into a roo carcass, there were 4-5 of them in all, savage and mangy looking,  affraid and all of them appeared as the same breed of dog, I called on the radio to my mate who was following me but by the time he got to where I saw then they had vanished in to the bush. pale 

I had heard the rumours and seen the paw prints of dogs around Cue when out detecting, but after seeing this pack I was concerned no more and if attacked by them and I was pretty sure that I had to I could drop kick one for some way if need be, don't need a gun or pepper spray when attacked by a pack of Chihuahua's  lol! 

Either that or they were good sized rats scratch, might need to get the eyes tested Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue 452991977 they were more than likely owned by some of the indigenous locals as I had seen similar little dogs around town in the past and saw one in the bush outside of town as well, called it and it shot into the scrub, last week when we stopped in at Meekatharra there were many dogs wandering about as aimlessly as there owners, you have to wonder why its allowed to go on as this is the very reason the dog problem has started in many of these towns.

Had to laugh as there was a bloke sitting in a chair near the roadside food van waiting for his order, as a dog wandered past he patted it and next thing you know I thought it was trying to get on his lap but he leapt up horrified and said it was trying to hump his leg Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue 490525052 

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue Empty Re: Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue

Post by martinjsto Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm

when I was out leinster way just turning onto a main track we spied two wild dogs that were close to a greyhound in size and skinny as just standing by the road, as we approached they casually strolled off into the bush and blended in, in seconds and didnt seem afraid at all. i wouldnt want to be approached whilst detecting by them and you wouldn't know they were there until they were on you. you would be counting your blessings if you were attacked by a pack of "rats" but two like the ones I saw, i dont think you will have a chance. take precautions anyway and keep aware of whats around you.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue Empty Re: pack of wild dogs north of cue

Post by aussie18 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:39 pm

lol! Chihuahua's yeah you would sort of wish they come close enough so you could lay the boot into them
heading that way in a month so I guarantee there's gunna be a pack of wild dogs out there, me and me mates Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue 1472621687 
anyhow TFIF  kwdf Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue 1214499189

Back to top Go down

Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue Empty Re: Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue

Post by Gold Diver Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:26 pm

I spoke to the Station owner at Austin Downs last year, he told me that a bloke had been put up a tree by some wild dogs up Curtis's Way, and was up there for a while, until his mates helped out.
I confirmed this by asking the professional dog shooter at the park a week or so later.
The amount of dogs they shoot is quite staggering.

This year I had the friendliest Dingo follow me around, kinda liked him being there.
It's a shame the Dingo gets put into the mix with the general dog population.
That's the reality I guess.

GD

Gold Diver

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Wed 23 Jul 2014, 8:53 am

Hi All,

Bit off topic but those little dogs in Cue we used to call them flatpacks, they were always following there masters around and sometimes they weren't quick enough for the road trains.....hence flatpacks!!!

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Pack of Wild Dogs spotted North of Cue Empty Wild Dogs

Post by JD Wed 23 Jul 2014, 10:42 am

Just got back from the Magnet Cue Sandstone area from a two week stint and only saw and heard the one dog.

I met a local dingo trapper/hunter and he suggested he thought most of the dogs had moved further south following more productive food source.

I must admit that after reading the forum over the past 6 months I expected wild dogs to be every where I went, but this was not the case. maybe I am used to the Pilbara situation where its wild cattle dingos and the odd idiot.

I must admit I saw the trucks going threw MM and Cue, they must have a special exemption to do well above the speed limit of 50 kl.

regards

JD

JD

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 23 Jul 2014, 7:38 pm

dinkum , east Pilbara is crawling with them , some new season pups are out already. there were packs of older males up to 20 in a group last month , reckon the cheewooyas would make good chew for them if they head south. Very Happy 
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:52 am

I have heard a few stories about little dogs being taken by dingo's and every year I see people out detecting with their little dogs and wonder why they insist on taking them out there, apart from the wild dogs you have snakes and baits to contend with, also the rocky ground is bad for their paws causing injury as well, best bet is to leave them at home.

The indigenous dogs are like the owners and just wander willy nilly about town with nothing better to do, and they just breed up as nature intended, that's the dogs I mean Wink  so there's no surprise that if they are not cared for they just wander away into the scrub looking for food, also saw a couple of black and white muts chewing on some road kill a couple of klms out of Cue about two seasons ago, they were kelpie sized but skinny as and didn't run off when I went past.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:09 am

Hi All,

If you sleep out you will be surprised of how many wild dogs or dingo's there actually is out there, there was not a stop that we have had that at some time we don't hear them, they usually howl after a kill and always down in the creek lines and always howl at dusk and scare the sh?t out of the cat

We always set up camp on top of hills, mainly for reception, but also for the views and of course to avoid the dogs as best as possible

Ron,Sherri and Yoda

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:02 am

I have had dingos wander through camp at Fields and they seem friendly enough but some of the dog paw prints that I have found when backtracking to camp in the creek crossing are huge and these animals were probably tracking my scent as I didnt notice those prints on the way out,so who knows what sort of breeds are out there-I will have to buy a spiked collar like a punk rocker to protect my jugular-dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum