Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bush kettle

5 posters

Go down

bush kettle Empty bush kettle

Post by Guest Sun 18 Aug 2013, 7:18 pm

thought I share this piece of gear with everyone--shop around--I got mine from the SSAA.

Polished Stainless Steel Construction

Conical inner chimney for quick heat transfer.

Separate S/Steel base for solid fuel fire use.

Baffle for chimney top for stovetop use.

Cap for water chamber.

Pack Size: 240 x 240 450mm Tall (on Stand base)

Aprox 2.0kg
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

bush kettle Empty Re: bush kettle

Post by Bignuggs Sun 18 Aug 2013, 7:36 pm

I think they also have a little cooker that could be interesting to use. would have to buy and test to see how it goes.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Aug 2013, 7:39 pm

the one I got is 6 litres but it may be a bit big --wanted the 3 litre one but befor I knew it I hadn't realised they had a smaller one..

maybe i'll sell it of in the shop and order the smaller one..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Aug 2013, 5:03 pm

Here in the UK we call them 'Kelly kettles'. You can boil water in a very short time with no more than a handful of twigs. The beauty of the design is that the 'chimney' draws the air through and the surface exposed to the heat is large.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Aug 2013, 5:09 pm

do they have to be completely full to use--I don't need to heat 6 litres in the morning but at least 2-3 litres for coffee and tea (depending whos bush with me) would be nice...don't want to stuff it up on the first fire up.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm

Hi oneday,

I've used one when out prospecting.

also: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

scotgold

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Sat 24 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm

Steve [madtuna] has one of these, [kelly kettle] he got his off the internet from England or somwhere there and they are the original kettles of this type, He also says they are better than the ones for sale over here.
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Aug 2013, 8:52 pm

will let u know how she performs--was out bush with a mate and he brought one from the same place, and it worked a treat--the spinny will work as the perfect fire starter...still waiting for its arrival.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

Ideal bit of kit for areas such as the Pilbara where'd there's little or no wood. Whereas "down south" there's wood all over the place and I can use my "little aluminium kettle" that's served me well for 20 odd years. I would still have my original "little aluminium kettle" if some dunce hadn't burned the bum out of it with no water in it!

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 21 Sep 2013, 3:38 pm

A lot cheaper than a portable gas stove but I'd like to see the cookers that are built on the same principle being used.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 13 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm

I found this interesting but it got me thinking.  Yes, I do think occassionally  Very Happy 
There are lots of different makes of little burners available but I reckon you could make you own.  

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 13 Oct 2013, 3:45 pm

got my son on to it about a week ago. he is a A/C duct installer and has access to stainless steel and forming machine. only cost the steel about $10. just takes him ages to get around to it. Very Happy 
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 13 Oct 2013, 5:04 pm

I reckon a bit of stainless tube with holes drilled in the bottom and kettle or pot on top. More to it than that I know but surely it can't be that difficult.
I just need to find out where to get stainless tubing in Perth the size I need and I'll have a go.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silverback Sun 13 Oct 2013, 9:27 pm

Bignuggs , try an exhaust shop that does trucks,they may have an offcut.
silverback
silverback

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Mon 14 Oct 2013, 6:35 am

We used to have a supersized one in our road crew back in NZ held about 5L used to shove a lpg tiger torch from the paver into it would boil in under 5 min.
the old man used to have an old copper one that he used as a template to make a Stainless steel version worked well.
the key to the design of them is the inside is tapered small at the top and wide at the bottom so the water jacket thisckness tapers to nothing at the bottom this gets max heat into the water super quick this hot water then goes to the top and is replaced with the cooler water that is pulled down to the bottom for heating. cool design and it works
the old copper one we had was profesionally made was called a thermette heres a pic of one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Flying kiwi
Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down