Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Garmin Dakota 10

4 posters

Go down

Help with Garmin Dakota 10 Empty Help with Garmin Dakota 10

Post by Makaw Tue 14 Feb 2012, 4:26 pm

Can someone pls explain in truck driver terms how to import from google earth my marks and drag them into my GPS.
I have been doing the QLD kmz one mine at a time and its doing my head in...

Back to top Go down

Help with Garmin Dakota 10 Empty Re: Help with Garmin Dakota 10

Post by gcause Tue 14 Feb 2012, 7:34 pm

Hi Maka,

You should be able to hook it up to your computer and open it up like you would a hard drive and copy the whole KMZ file into a folder on the drive.

I am about to try the same thinng on my Garmin.

I will let you know how I go with it.

Regards,

Grant

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 14 Feb 2012, 8:15 pm

It hurts me to mention this, but on another well known forum, there is a set up link providing you have the Garmin setup loaded into your laptop or home computer. It's called "shonkymaps" but they say there is no guarantee it will work and can actually stuff ya GPS unit.
I took a chance, downloaded the zipped file and I had no problems.
Just a suggestion.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by geof_junk Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:43 pm

With the later models of Garmin the easy way is to use the free garmin download program called BaseCamp. All you have to do is save less than your units waypoint limit in a KML in Google Earth Then load in OziExplorer and save as a GPX file. Connect your GPS to BaseCamp (on your PC), Then drag the GPX file to the SD or Mirco SD Card in the GPS

NB Only tick the waypoints boxs of the waypoints you want but less than GPS limit
when saving in GE scroll down from Kmz to Kml

NB If you load all of Historical Mines in OziExplorer You can use the Select function and select waypoints then use the mouse to select a rectangle with the mines in it then send direct to any GPS connected to OziExplorer (remember Ozi limit of 10,000 and GPS limit)

Last edited by geof_junk on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added second NB)

geof_junk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down