Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Etrex 10 and GeoMap.WA

+3
martinjsto
goldcadet
Jack-Tar
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Etrex 10 and GeoMap.WA Empty Etrex 10 and GeoMap.WA

Post by Jack-Tar Mon 04 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use the Garmin Etrex 10 as the connected GPS on GeoMaps.

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Etrex 10 and GeoMap.WA Empty garmin and geomap

Post by goldcadet Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:00 am

G'day Jack-tar

I'm interested in buying the Garmin ex10 and would also like to know the answer to this question as Geomap does link up with Garmin GPS but which models?
If anyone can answer this please but when I get time I will call Geomap IT helpdesk as I have another problem with Geomap and will ask this question also.

I think there is an opening for a tech guru to make a lot of cash teaching dumbos like me how to use all these mapping programs let alone the uni degree needed to operate Tengraph along with Google map ang Geomap overlays argggggggggggggg!!!

Cheers

goldcadet

Back to top Go down

Etrex 10 and GeoMap.WA Empty Re: Etrex 10 and GeoMap.WA

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:45 am

mate u dont need a degree to use tengraph....the basic info is redily available--there is a fair bit of info on the forum if u use the search button up on the top right of the page..

If u r having problems then let us know and we can walk u through it ..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:15 am

Hi Goldcadet,

I have tried connecting the Etrex 10 in the Geomaps, using the garmin setting and it will not connect. Apparently when connecting a GPS you have to have it connected prior to starting the computer. I have tried changing various settings but all with no luck. I also tried using the smart phone GPS but again no luck. I suppose I will just have to go and buy the GPS from Reedes for $60. Jeff from Reedes did mention that not all GPS's would connect.
They also run a course that will teach you all about Tengraph and Geomaps. I did it last week and found it informative.

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm

I use the GlobalSat BU-353S4 SiRF Water Proof GPS USB Receiver connected to my PC running of an inverter in the car. you can connect quickly and easy with Geo Maps and Google earth to get real time positioning and tracking info that can be saved and re loaded for the next day etc. it has a magnetic base to attach to the roof or inside the vehicle and is very accurate out bush. I found using google earth you need to zoom in to high detail of the area you want to visit before heading out or whilst you have internet connection it will keep the details in Cache and you have extremely good resolution without internet when out bush, but of course poor resolution everywhere else until you are in internet area again where you can load the new areas.
between Geo and Google it pretty well has my navigation covered.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by goldcadet Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the replies however does anyone know which Garmin GPS will work with Geomap?
I will try to find out before I purchase but don't want to spend big $

Thanks oneday I may need some help down the line just had a frustrating time with Geomaps but half sorted it out.
I downloaded Kalgoorlie 100k SH51 maps and after finding a program that would open jpeg 2000 (irfan) files and importing it into Geomap I have the maps etc. but no legend and can't pan using coordinates.
Anyways I'll have a go at Tengraph and maybe this time I'll start with a few frosties before starting to calm the nerves!
If that doesn't work I will bother DMP IT support but I hope they're bloody patient

Cheers Goldcadet (Mick) Etrex 10 and GeoMap.WA 2517112348

goldcadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:59 am

This is interesting, I tried my garmin550 and it won't establish a connection. Tried changing some settings, still no go Suspect
I haven't tried NMEA yet so it's got me stumped.

Cheers
Cliff

PS. I did follow the intructions according to the user guide page51.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 09 Mar 2013, 5:37 pm

i tried my garmin gpsmaps 62s and had the same result clif, there is a link program called earthlink that will help some gps units connect to google earth and GoeMaps, but not all as my 62s still didnt connect using earthlink although it may be user error, as it is, my GlobalSat BU-353S4 works very easy on both and i can switch between the two image software by disconnecting then reconnecting in the other suit. i think this is the easiest and cheapest option when comparing to a gps unit for the job, i think it is better to keep the batteries on my 62s for the detecting and use the Globesat for navigation IMO Very Happy .

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm

Hi martinjsto

I didn't want to outlay more cash on another GPS when I already have several. I wanted to keep it simple but ended up having to buy the GlobalSat BU-353S4. I bought the BU-353S4 today on evilbay, it was $53 delivered. I initially bought the BU-353 a few days ago but when I got it home and realised it was an earlier model that only comes standard with the drivers for vista and windows 2000, I returned it. They could not supply the BU-353S4 so as I said I bought it on ebay and it was cheaper. Thank you for your earlier advice.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:48 pm

Thats the thing about fleabay, you really have to question the seller about what they are selling.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:41 pm

It wasn't ebay that was the problem. It was the local supplier selling me an older model GPS. I didn't question the model of the GPS as it was more expensive I assumed it was the latest model. It wasn't and my fault for not checking.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

I guess we all fall into that. Maybe my 550 don't work coz I got it from the USA. I don't know.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Etrex 10 and GeoMap.WA Empty compatible GPS

Post by goldcadet Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:11 pm

Hi All

Below is a list from DMP regarding GPS units that they have tested for use with/without Geomap
Any other models haven't been tested but doesn't mean they won't work!

GPS units tested that are Compatible with GeoMAP:

Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx

Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx

Qstarz Travel recorder XT

iBT GPS

GPS units tested that are not Compatible with GeoMAP:

Garmin etrex 10

Garmin etrex 20

Garmin etrex 30

Garmin GPSMAP 62s

Garmin Dakota 10

Hope this helps

Back to frosty one now
Cheers Mick

goldcadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Tue 12 Mar 2013, 8:27 pm

Sorry Jack-Tar , a little off topic and not an answer to your post but I have just received the latest Rays Outdoors catalogue and I noticed that they have the Garmin eTrex 10 on sale for $99.00 (14 Mar- 01 April) which is a good price .
I currently use one when out bush and find it meets my requirements.
And for the record, I'm not employed by Garmin or Rays outdoors I'm just an eTrex user that noticed the competitive price.

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:14 am

Has anyone worked out how to get an unlisted GPS to work with Geomap yet ?

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:46 am

Yer, spend $50 on ebay for the GlobalSat BU-353S4. It works. I spent hours changing settings on the Garmin and also tried using the smart phone GPS trying to get it to play. It just wasn't worth wasting any more of my time. Mad

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:02 pm

Using the diplomatic skills I'm renowned for Razz I contacted the IT section at DMP today and asked a simple question.
"What is the use of a mapping setup that doesn't work with all makes and models of GPS units".
I used my work email address which generally gets a quick response from people and guess what ? total silence but time will tell. lol!

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:45 pm

Hi All,

I bought an etrex 20 hoping to download Geomaps into it....but what i was told is the maps are too large for them, what we have to do is "tile" a Geo map, that is to break it up into lots of smaller maps which is then able to be downloaded into the etrex

There is special programs which do this task, but unless your up to it I would personally get someone who knows how to do it for you

I was on another forum and a couple of guns helped me out and tiled one of the maps for me and said just download it and you will be fine....still can't get it to work

You can pay Garmin for their maps....$200

I gave up

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:04 pm

yep, ya right. You can tile part of the whole map. The problem is still with the connection. I still can't establish a connection with my garmin.
I'm hoping the IT at DMP get back to me about it. seems a total waste of time having a mapping program if it doesn't work with all GPS units.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 6:52 am

Hi,

One other thing,Once you try to download something too large for the GPS it can pop them inside and you won't be able to download anything .....one guy went thru 2 of them before they realised something was basically wrong with the Garmin and were replaced by Garmin

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 18 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

A little bit of an update. a Spatial Data Analyst at DMP has contacted me about my GPS and Geomap issue. He has supplied with me a long list of units that will and won't work with geomap. I'll sort it out when I get home tonite.
I've made arrangements with the gentleman for next Monday and we'll see if we can get my Oregan550 to work, we maybe able to do some tweaking with settings.
Some makes and models definitely won't work but it appears there are a lot that should "in theory".

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 18 Mar 2013, 6:31 pm

Here's some of the info I got about GPS units and Geomap. The rest of the list is BIG and it gave me a headache looking at it. I'll have to clean it up a bit as it doesn't copy and paste here properly and it's scrambled, I'll post it later.

This is a list of GPS units I can personally confirm work with GeoMAP.

GPS that are Compatible with GeoMAP:
Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx
Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx
Qstarz Travel recorder XT
iBT GPS

This is a list of GPS units I can personally confirm do not work with GeoMAP.

GPS not Compatible with GeoMAP:
Garmin etrex 10
Garmin etrex 20
Garmin etrex 30
Garmin GPSMAP 62s
Garmin Dakota 10

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 18 Mar 2013, 6:45 pm

Here's the rest of the list. Isn't life fun Razz Evil or Very Mad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

Hi,

Ok, but why won't the etrex 10,20&30 work, they should if there tiled.....please explain??????

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:06 pm

Just in case there is some misunderstanding here, the info highlighted in RED,BLUE & GREEN comes from DMP, not me.
Why aren't they working ? I don't know.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next