Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost

3 posters

Go down

DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost Empty DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:57 pm

HELLO MY FRIENDS....mytrusted method has always been to find a spot on google earth...then transfer those coordintes manually in to the gps....then follow the gpd to the spot.....however as of 2 weeks ago.....when i put coordinates in the gps ....thwe device takes me 350 metres from this spot.....even though the device shows the correct coordintes....i cant work this one out....but this device will get me lost for sure if i cant sort this problem.......it works when i take a waypoint reading on the site ....but not when i enter it manually....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY?????.....

Back to top Go down

DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost Empty Re: DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost

Post by araratgold Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:04 am

General hercules wrote:HELLO MY FRIENDS....mytrusted method has always been to find a spot on google earth...then transfer those coordintes manually in to the gps....then follow the gpd to the spot.....however as of 2 weeks ago.....when i put coordinates in the gps ....thwe device takes me 350 metres from this spot.....even though the device shows the correct coordintes....i cant work this one out....but this device will get me lost for sure if i cant sort this problem.......it works when i take a waypoint reading on the site ....but not when i enter it manually....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY?????.....

General,

It sounds to me as if one or the other is using a different map datum. Having said that, no matter which datum you are using, if you take a reading in camp on your GPS before heading into the scrub, your GPS will get you back.
It's only a problem when you are taking co-ords from Google using one datum and putting them into your GPS using another datum ( perhaps AGD66 ? ) The difference between WGS84 and GDA94 is only about one metre, but between GDA94 and AGD66 is roughly 200 metres ( these are both Australian datums, just AGD66 is now out of date )
The main thing if you are transferring co-ords is to make sure both Google Earth and your GPS are using the same datum. Your GPS may have had a " hissy fit " and reset to a default datum on you ( which, Garmin being an American company could be a north American datum !! ), or you may have inadvertently changed the datum on google earth. Just check them both !
I am a cartographic and survey draftsman ( among other things ), and I see the same issues coming up time and time again with people mixing datums, sometimes not even realising they are doing it ! Wink

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost Empty Re: DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost

Post by Goldbait Sat 04 Aug 2012, 8:52 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

i've got the same gps and have no problems when using the above converter.
Goldbait
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 9:53 am

Ricks hit it spot on General, make sure both ya GPS and Google earth are set to UTM and all will be good mate.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:49 am

okay...i been at i for hours now and it works ...thankyou so much...this had me in tears causeim tryingto peg my claim....i found nuggetts at the peg so i am in a real fever here...okay...google earth you only have the choice of utm or some degees options.....but the gps has nearlyone hundred options...the only one that gives acorrect reading is wgs 84....my gps had reset to addendium....which is f***ed.......thankyou....and watch for mynew blue lease to appear on tengraph hahahahah....thankyou so much.......crazy pete,aratagold, goldbait....you 3 are invited to my new lease....yyyyyeeeeeehhhhaaaaa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

Now I gotta ask coz I'm no expert with a GPS, what is UTM. I can't see any option on G/earth.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

Universal Traverse Mercator.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 2:51 pm

General hercules wrote:crazy pete,aratagold, goldbait....you 3 are invited to my new lease....yyyyyeeeeeehhhhaaaaa

Good luck with the new pegging GH and thanks for the invite mate, much appreciated..

Oh! and i'll bring Pizza, heaps of lollies DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost 3179412840

Pete

Last edited by Crazy Pete on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold Sat 04 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

General hercules wrote:okay...i been at i for hours now and it works ...thankyou so much...this had me in tears causeim tryingto peg my claim....i found nuggetts at the peg so i am in a real fever here...okay...google earth you only have the choice of utm or some degees options.....but the gps has nearlyone hundred options...the only one that gives acorrect reading is wgs 84....my gps had reset to addendium....which is f***ed.......thankyou....and watch for mynew blue lease to appear on tengraph hahahahah....thankyou so much.......crazy pete,aratagold, goldbait....you 3 are invited to my new lease....yyyyyeeeeeehhhhaaaaa

Hi General,

Glad I could help, and my Dad and I may take you up on your generous offer when we come over late June / early July next year. Very Happy
Whereabouts will it be, and is it a prospecting licence ?

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited by araratgold on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 5:36 pm

yes it is being processed now....soin 14 days it will appear in tengraph as a pending prospect lease(blue).....it is 150 metres wideby 5 klms long....unusual shape but this is an advantage because it covers a lot of different ground....it is squeezed between 2 massive exploration licences.....and i found nuggets on it yyyyyeeeeehhhhhaaaa.......

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold Sat 04 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

General hercules wrote:yes it is being processed now....soin 14 days it will appear in tengraph as a pending prospect lease(blue).....it is 150 metres wideby 5 klms long....unusual shape but this is an advantage because it covers a lot of different ground....it is squeezed between 2 massive exploration licences.....and i found nuggets on it yyyyyeeeeehhhhhaaaa.......

Good work General !
Were abouts is your licence situated ?

Cheers,
Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 04 Aug 2012, 5:43 pm

General hercules wrote:......crazy pete,aratagold, goldbait....you 3 are invited to my new lease....yyyyyeeeeeehhhhaaaaa

well I just got into a cranky mood,

Last edited by Bignuggs on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : coz I can)
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:16 pm

oh gee....its not persona bignugs....i was just thanking the 3 guys who helped me with this major problem i was havin.....but hey you can come too mate,,,,of course....anyway its blue...so no-one can stop you.....the problem is how do i let you 4 guys know where it is without alerting the world to it.....

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:19 pm

General hercules wrote:oh gee....its not persona bignugs....i was just thanking the 3 guys who helped me with this major problem i was havin.....but hey you can come too mate,,,,of course....anyway its blue...so no-one can stop you.....the problem is how do i let you 4 guys know where it is without alerting the world to it.....

PM's General,

That way you can tell us without the whole world knowng about it !

Cheers,
Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:20 pm

I'm sure he meant you too Cliff, but just maybe he's scared
you might out drink him hahaha i know i'm scared of your skills drunken cheers leave me for dead i reckon but i'm up for a passing out compatition any day DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost 3273188554 DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost 1214499189

Hey GH do ya make ya own Ouzo, i used to make a mad batch or 2 qwk;ec

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:47 pm

i reckon i'm a one ouzo screamer ......went out for a crack today but missed out....plentyof rubbish though hahahaha.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

oh pm's areprivate messages right?.......okay....as soon as they give me approval i'll ley you know and you can let them know......yyyyeeeeehhhhhhaaaaa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

QK; what where ya thinkin mate slappin ya self, you'll never get them good looks back ya know DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost 3179412840 hope ya had some anesthetic 1st lweg kwdf DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost 3179412840

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold Sun 05 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

Bignuggs wrote:
Bignuggs wrote:
General hercules wrote:......crazy pete,aratagold, goldbait....you 3 are invited to my new lease....yyyyyeeeeeehhhhaaaaa

well I just got into a cranky mood, thanks for the invite FY too.

My apologies to everyone for being a dumb lowlife prick. Sometimes I don't know what gets into me. If it helps, I gave myself a good slap up the side of the head.

cheers
Cliff

I WAS wondering WTF when I read your post. Shocked
I thought, " he needs a slap in the back of the head ", like Gibbs gives Dinozzo in NCIS ! Wink
But you've given yourself one, so she's apples ! Laughing

Cheers,
Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:22 pm

i often have to slap myself. ! lol its an weekly event , had some big roadrage today in my mates car then realised if I dont behave im chucked out the country haha , decided to wind my neck in quick time lol

good luck with the lease GH , hope it goes well for you mate :)

sam

Back to top Go down

DANGER.....garmin gps 72h...wrong coordinates...get you lost Empty danger bugger the garmin lets talk ouzo lol

Post by Guest Thu 16 Aug 2012, 4:00 pm

wifey trying to ban me from the ouzo.

it's my spirit off choice, drink it like water

nothing better then getting smashed at the pub and having every person there whinging coz the smell off it. double shot in a pint glass.usually get 20 those down b4 they kick me out on top off a dozen pints off brewski's.
sweet sweet ouzo hmmmmmm....
sweet sweet messy ouzo hmmmmmm.......

thirsty ouzo drinker jase

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Aug 2012, 6:15 pm

Dont mind a drop of it either
Used to make me own for $7.00 a litre and it gave blue flames on the fire too hahahaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down