Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting to get a few things together

+6
Nightjar
boobook
albo
salt-d
UrbanFox
Opa
10 posters

Go down

Starting to get a few things together Empty Starting to get a few things together

Post by Opa Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:37 am

Starting to get a few things ready for my new hobby, got the full set of Gold and Ghosts, hand held gps, back track gps ( back up ), compass, pick, hema gps for the 4by, swag, gas cooker, BBQ plate/grill ( for wood fire ),
Sill need to get the duel batteries installed and 2x120 solar pannels.
Been down loading geo and topo maps...
Working down Collie, doing a shutdown for the next 5 weeks, then get the 5000 and have a bit of a scratch around, can't wait.
What is the going price for nuggets? If that's not a rude question

Opa

Back to top Go down

Starting to get a few things together Empty Re: Starting to get a few things together

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:27 am

Way to go Opa--being organised is half ya battle.

price of nuggets varies a hell of a lot. if u send it to the mint u will get around $1150 on todays price and this is from actual transactions that I have had.
Based on an today price of $1450.

Gold will vary in actual gold content--the yellower the gold the higher the %.Silver will be the other major player in the % stakes.
My gold up here is going 92% others may be higher or lower..with 6.5% silver.

when selling gold I didn't find any difference between PWBeck or the Mint at the International Airport in Perth.

But on another note if they r good quality jewellery pieces (which is open to conjecture) they can be around $50 a gram but generally the majority wont be in this league.

hope this helps--just my personal experience.

U can always try eBay but watch your charges and the rip-off merchants..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Starting to get a few things together Empty Re: Starting to get a few things together

Post by UrbanFox Thu 30 Jan 2014, 8:20 am

oneday monday wrote:
U can always try eBay but watch your charges and the rip-off merchants..

regards
oneday

Another site that could be worth posting to and getting a bit of exposure... I buy a bit of stuff from offcuts-galore on this site. He also sells on eBay, but when I bought from him on eBay he made me aware of this site....

http://www.quicksales.com.au/

Note, there are no buyer/seller charges for transactions settled through quicksales. There is bugger all in the way of nuggets listed, but when it is not going to cost then it is worth giving it a go.
UrbanFox
UrbanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by salt-d Fri 31 Jan 2014, 8:44 am

Good luck with your new hobby, Opa. sounds like you have all the right gear. You have spent a lot of dollars and if you haven't had any experience at this gold detecting game its a good idea to get some training it the use of the detector and on what to look for out in the field, Minelab offer a introductory course when you buy a ML5000. The right settings, mindset, patience and low and slow, Them nuggets are out there, you just have to swing the coil over them and HEAR THEM.
Cheers;
salt-d
salt-d
salt-d

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 31 Jan 2014, 9:11 am

good onya opa , you sound like a goer , I can only add repairing or having the ability to repair your staked tyres out there is a must , seen many that take 2 spares & panick & rush back to town when they get their first flat . for the bush , iv found split rims & a good bead breaker / pump is a must , spare tubes & at least 2-3 spare casings , get some truck patches as well for the big stake n eggs , its a good feeling to be independent in that regard & youl save you heaps in fuel trundling back n forward to town . some trips can be 100 - 400km or so & you don't want that , cheers albo .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:55 pm

Like albo says, staked tyres can/are a real ar*e pain.

My smallish van runs the same split rims/tyres as the L/C trayback, carry 2 spares in the back of the truck, one under the front of the van and on on the rear carrier.
Gives me 4 spares, and last winter over there needed 3 of them. Simple fact is if you get into cross country travel those little burnt mulga spikes are impossible to see.

Pull up to hear that bloody Pssssssss.
Nother one going flat.

You have the solar panels, hope that is for the fridge? (not mentioned) Gotta keep the beverages cold!
Mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Jan 2014, 1:43 pm

mike-

by the sounds of it u r using 8 ply tyres on splits.

regards oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri 31 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm

boobook wrote:

Nother one going flat.
Mike

Hey Michael,
Hearing Pssssssss + Psssssssss
Hearing two going flat.  wtf 

Starting to get a few things together Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Fri 31 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

1st thing in the Ute goes the Fridge after the detector.
Then the Porter Shade and Deck Chair.
If I forget to take anything else it really doesnt matter coz you got the essentials to make it a great weekend...

on a serious note, an EPIRB should be another.
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Opa Fri 31 Jan 2014, 10:23 pm

[quote="salt-), Minelab offer a introductory course when you buy a ML5000. The right settings, mindset, patience and low and slow, Them nuggets are out there, you just have to swing the coil over them and HEAR THEM.
Cheers;
salt-d [/quote]
Thanks for the tip and reply salt_d, yes I will doing the 1 day course with mine lab.
I do a fair bit of fishing with top end Sounders, I see that the detector are much the same as Sounders in that if you don't tune the in right you won't see the fish....
Pete

Opa

Back to top Go down

Post by Opa Sat 01 Feb 2014, 12:11 am

boobook wrote:Like albo says, staked tyres can/are a real ar*e pain.

My smallish van runs the same split rims/tyres as the L/C trayback, carry 2 spares in the back of the truck, one under the front of the van and on on the rear carrier.
Gives me 4 spares, and last winter over there needed 3 of them. Simple fact is if you get into cross country travel those little burnt mulga spikes are impossible to see.

Nother one going flat.

You have the solar panels, hope that is for the fridge? (not mentioned) Gotta keep the beverages cold!
Mike

Yer, got 6 spares as I put light truck tyres and rims on the 4by when I got her.
Will be running 2 x 80lt fridge freezer, one for the beers the other for some food and beer.
Who should I contact regarding the mine lab coarse?
Pete

Opa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 01 Feb 2014, 6:29 am

Pete,
You need to contact your nearest Minelab dealer, unfortunately you are in the metro area so you are not going to get a true demo with all the surrounding EMI. Your best bet would be Finders in Kalgoorlie that way you can get out into the real gold country.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Sat 01 Feb 2014, 6:40 am

Yup i'll second what Peter just said, need to be in the real dirt for real tuition to happen, even better if ya can go out with a seasoned swinger a few times and learn from REAL dirt diggers not sales execs  Wink 

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Feb 2014, 8:16 am

The Crazy One wrote:Yup i'll second what Peter just said, need to be in the real dirt for real tuition to happen, even better if ya can go out with a seasoned swinger a few times and learn from REAL dirt diggers not sales execs  Wink 

By the sounds of Opa's beer fridge I would say he could do worse than go out with you Pete.

Opa, the Minelab course is pretty basic. They will tell you when and where to do it. You may have to wait a while too.

I'm sure there are plenty of good blokes in WA that will show you the ropes.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sat 01 Feb 2014, 9:32 am

Back to tyres or tires for the us blokes il share an embarrasing yarn ( story that is for the us fellas )
once I stopped a little off the track , had a look see to if this place was worth a go detectin ... nar not really keep movin , went about 2 yards (or metres , us blokes really, you guys have to go metric ) & a mulga tree stump hit the sidewall ... bugger, anyway off comes the wheel , after the 2 tonne trolley jack went in & only raised the ute within 20 mm & ran out of oil off course , down we go & fill her up with my best virgin olive oil as mineral oil will perish the seals , repaired the staked tyre , along with with 6 of the best cans in the process .

Well off we go again moving forward & you guessed it after 3 metres or so ... the rear picked up the same mulga root .
Arr here we go again ...

Second verse , same as the first ,
A little bit harder ,
And a little bit worse.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 01 Feb 2014, 9:58 am

lol! Albo, similar story, we were bush bashing, stinking hot day, aircon flat out and I heard the woosh woosh of a tyre going flat. My mate yelled, "Get under a tree for shade."
We got out of the vehicle and I said, "My side tyre going down." My mate said, "No this side."
Yep both front tyres flat on the bottom.  Mad  affraid  dambit 
Dig a hole to get the jack underneath and swap one of the wheels.
Pull the other one off, remove the tube (split rim) patch the hole refit and inflate.
Faaaark, tyre going down again.  dambit  dambit  dambit  dambit 
Remove the tube and patch second hole and finally get on our way.
Fridge now empty, so it's back to the camp.
Don't we just love the excitement when bush?

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Feb 2014, 10:07 am

u blokes need 14 ply tyres not the standard 8 ply--mind u they still get the odd stake every now and then..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sat 01 Feb 2014, 11:05 am

Yep withya Ray , got a mob of discarded U/G Michelin 13 ply radials for bush , some blokes run rags , the side walls keep straight. Best I saw was sandlewood cutters , they cut through the side wall all way round an old tyre , deflate their tyres , slip the cut off tyre over their good tyre , like a boot & re inflate it . They smashed through any scrub no probs .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Sun 02 Feb 2014, 7:49 am

albo wrote:
Well off we go again moving forward & you guessed it after 3 metres or so ... the rear picked up the same mulga root .
Arr here we go again ...

Starting to get a few things together 3179412840 Starting to get a few things together 3179412840 Real Laurel and Hardy stuff that is  Starting to get a few things together 3179412840 lol!  hahaha aaah sh#t ay  gpost 
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Opa Tue 04 Feb 2014, 12:46 am

Nightjar wrote:Pete,
You need to contact your nearest Minelab dealer, unfortunately you are in the metro area so you are not going to get a true demo with all the surrounding EMI. Your best bet would be Finders in Kalgoorlie that way you can get out into the real gold country.

Pete, that makes a lot of sense, my mates that run a camping and fishing shop in Rocko know the owners of Finders in Kal, so will have a chat with them to see what they can do.
Thanks for all the replies everyone, good to see people out there willing to give great advice.
Do you guys ever have a get together to meet members and have a beer or three?
LOL really? front tyre then the back  Starting to get a few things together 3179412840 good thing you didnt have a trailer clown

Opa

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:31 am

har har Opper , trailer ... or road train , don't let him near the truck hes had 6 stubbies
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisso79 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 6:33 am

crikey Cliff you are scaring a Victorian with these stories of tyre staking. I will not be taking my Mitsubishi Triton off track nth. Laverton Sounds like I need to bring a 6 the wheel spare.

chrisso79

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 03 Jul 2014, 7:04 am

chrisso79 wrote:crikey Cliff you are scaring a Victorian with these stories of tyre staking. I will not be taking my Mitsubishi Triton off track nth. Laverton Sounds like I need to bring a 6 the wheel spare.

???? have I missed something. I don't remember saying anything about tyres  scratch 

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:44 am

I think this tyre is well and truly staked   Razz   I don't think it would brighten up ya day getting one of these.

Starting to get a few things together Staked10

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisso79 Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:20 am

apologies Cliff you guys look all the same from where I am sitting in sunny Stawell. on a more serious note would I need to be careful of tyre safety if I went off-road with the Triton well North of Laverton?

chrisso79

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down