Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users

+14
aussie18
albo
CrazyPete
UTBN
Gamble
K town swinger
snapper
LITTLEGEM
michael740
jackal60
groundrush
Makaw
Flakmagnet
phill
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 Empty Some advise For New GPX5000 Users

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's a few simple Techniques to boost your gold intake.  Cool

You can think of the GPX range in the same way as a stereo equalizer, if one band is out of whack, its not running at
its premium ability.
There's no need to get overly aggressive on the tunings to start off with if your new to the GPX's, just a simple tweak up of the 4 main functional settings (Rx Gain,Stabilizer,Motion Speed & Audio) will put you miles ahead of the FP settings, but in real sense we really want to be making these babies really scream & sing, and an important factor to being able to do this is running a very well matched up coil for the GPX.

Also we do actually need to hear a bit of mineralization on our GPX's so we can realize when we can boost up the settings to get better performance, i know most blokes & gals these days are way to fixed on the "smooth threshold" theory and that can be a good/bad thing, reasons ? if you are able to run the machine as smooth &
quiet as a church mouse, you are not really forcing the best from your detector, if its smooth why not try to
tweak it up a notch or two, and keep tweaking with a good ground balance between each tweak until you just start to get some in-balance in the threshold.

The 5000 will cancel out nearly 95% of all hot rocks, the only major ones that get through are the hot rocks with very strong magnetic qualities and these are very few and far between.

We also need to be looking at a couple of other important factors also, and they are Swing Speed, Coil Hight from the ground and coil level (Horizontal).
The larger your coil is, the slower it needs to be swung, and the opposite goes for the smaller 14" and down size coils, the smaller sized coils can safely be swung with a 2 - 3 second swing and still remain stable and deadly on targets, the larger coils 16" and up need to be swung slower for two reasons, one is to allow the larger coil field more time to penetrate deeper and excite the deeper targets, and the other is because we are running a larger coil we are therefore scanning a lot larger area and amount of mineralization at any given time, so we need to swing slower to also allow the detector to be able to keep up with the processing of all this extra info that the larger coil will produce..

Its very important when doing a Ground Balance to have your coil fully horizontal in relation to the ground surface, this allows all of the coils windings to be presented to the ground equally and makes for a better Ground Balance and therefore a more stable detector which again allows us to tweak it up even more again..

Follow a few simple standard in field Tuning tips like these and you will get more gold.
Always ask yourself "can i get more outta this spot and how can i do that ??  there's only two ways to do that and one is bust a nut physically, the other is tweaks on your detector, of course when you combine the both thats when Magic Happens..

Pete   Cool

Back to top Go down

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 Empty Re: Some advise For New GPX5000 Users

Post by CrazyPete Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm

Its an El cheapo Kodak job, cost about $160 with the charger/printer dock.. "Kodak EasyShare C813"
Got it from duck Smuths few years ago

Pete
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 Empty Re: Some advise For New GPX5000 Users

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm

taa-I was thinking about a kmart special-- lol! 

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:20 pm

Pete, the rumors of my death are unfounded.
I still think this post of yours is one of the best ever about the 5000.
Hope lots of people are reading it, they will benefit.

Are you well? Drop me an email when you can we will catch up.
Best

Flak
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 6:45 am

Nice to hear from you Flakky. Hope you're finding plenty.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Wed 29 Jan 2014, 12:22 am

Thanks for the shout out.
No hunting these days unfortunately, I am in the Chicago area where it is −28 with the wind chill, living
my 16 year old daughter as she trains for the 2016 Olympics on the USA Sr. Rhythmic Gymnastics Group Team.
We are in the second year here with two and a half more to go if things continue to go well for her.
I never thought I would see the day where I put my 5000 in storage but it has happened for awhile.

Best wishes to all the West Australian prospectors and good hunting.

Flak

Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Wed 29 Jan 2014, 12:45 am

Very Happy So glad to hear Nat is kickin ass at her dream David  Wink Very Happy 
Heck with a dad like you on her side its easy peazy all the way.
You gotta be the proudest dad in the world ay  cheers  Very Happy 

Shame the old 5000 is gathering dust mate, but she'll be just as eager and twice as deadly when you call her back into duty  Wink 

Arrrrrrrr  QMQ Wink Cool Very Happy

CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Wed 29 Jan 2014, 2:29 am

There you are Pete,

Happy to know you are out there snagging gold and good times,
hope to catch up soon. Save some for me I'm still working on getting there
one of these fine days.

I am loving where I am for now, and why not, it is not every day you get to
see someone living their dream.

best...
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Wed 29 Jan 2014, 7:33 pm

Flakmagnet wrote:There you are Pete,

Happy to know you are out there snagging gold and good times,
hope to catch up soon. Save some for me I'm still working on getting there
one of these fine days.

I am loving where I am for now, and why not, it is not every day you get to
see someone living their dream.

best...

cheers  Yup i gotta agree there, and ive often wondered who has actually stopped to sniff
the roses these days ?
It's all "Beep Beep" toot toot, get outta my way im more important than anyone else mentality.
So anyways D what are ya gonna do for personal kicks to get your mojo fix  Very Happy  More Diving  Very Happy 
or take up coin/Relic hunting maybe
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:21 am

Pete, sorry for the slow uptake. No metal detecting here. It's boring
and there are not any areas to hunt au. Half the reason to metal detect is to get out into the desert, outback, mountains whatever. Here it is flat with no mineralization. Too bad but still I would not change a thing. The girl in now in Stuttgart Germany at the first World Cup meet of the year for the US team. She texts infrequently but that is to be expected, she's busy. Too bad I can't paste a pic they sent me from the plane,
you would see right away what a special group of girls this is... best wishes
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:41 pm

I take it you've moved David, hope your not in the city and starving for the peaceful serenity of the bush...
Stuttgart ay :) wow you must both be missin Nat badly, but what a true champ she is mate, to follow her dream to the end of the rainbow  Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 1424279845  Nat  a;SCAQ 

Take care mate and i do hope you get some solitude soon :)

Pete
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:45 pm

Hi Pete,

I am in a big suburb, 27 miles NW of Chicago. That is where the girl
train's and goes to high school. It is a very quiet way of life, just no
great outdoors. I am not complaining, this is where my wife and I need to be and we are glad we have made the choices that brought us here.

I will email soon.

David
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Mar 2014, 5:26 am

Nice to hear from you again Flakky.

For us ignorant people, what is it that your girl does?

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Sat 22 Mar 2014, 6:35 am

Hi Robert...
She is a member of the six girl USA Sr. Rhythmic Gymnastics Group Team. She has been doing rhythmic gymnastics for eleven years (she just turned 17), and was asked in 2012 to join the National Team and train for the 2016 Olympics. Only problem; we lived in California and the National Team trains just north of Chicago. I told her it was her decision and we would try to accommodate. We moved two months later and have been living outside of Chicago ever since...lol. My wife and I  miss California but this is something that has to be allowed to play out.
They came in 14th at their first World Championships last August, so they are doing pretty well. It is a long road but that is not the point I guess...all the best.

Last edited by Flakmagnet on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wording...)
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Mar 2014, 7:47 am

That's what parenting is about Flakky. I we can't help our kids then we aren't good parents
My wife and I supported our youngest son in his baseball endeavours.
I was rewarded yesterday by going to the opening game of the MLB in Sydney over here between the Dodgers and
the Diamondbacks. This has been a dream of mine for 40 years.
$370 a ticket paid for by the boy as a way of saying thanks.
The rewards started years ago when I could watch him playing ball. Wish I had been still playing then but I was too old and stiff.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Sun 23 Mar 2014, 9:05 am

Robert,
That is a great story. I hope the game was good.
I am sure your son is very appreciative of your effort,
he will benefit from it the rest of his life.

Best wishes
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Sun 23 Mar 2014, 9:15 am

Rob - Thats unreal mate, i bet you was like a little kid on Xmas eve the day before the game :):):)
So you used to play a bit of batNball then as a youngy i take it
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sat 29 Mar 2014, 9:41 am

good onya flakky , got your priorities right , then after that's done ,I hope you find the big yella fella later on mate .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

Flakmagnet wrote:Robert,
That is a great story. I hope the game was good.
I am sure your son is very appreciative of your effort,
he will benefit from it the rest of his life.

Best wishes

It was just brilliant Flakky. To see then real person and not a tv image is always better.
38000+ at the game and every one just as knowledgeable about the game as your countrymen
I think Bud Selig an Co. were very happy with the venture.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Mar 2014, 2:36 pm

CrazyPete wrote:Rob - Thats unreal mate, i bet you was like a little kid on Xmas eve the day before the game :):):)
So you used to play a bit of batNball then as a youngy i take it

Yeah Pete. Apart from baseball I played a lot of cricket. I had the honour of batting with Bill Lawry at Northcote in the '60's.
If I hadn't discovered girls I may have played for Victoria.
I captained sides with young blokes like Gary Cosier and Rodney Hogg in them. Hoggy came to Northcote as an opening batsman!
We played Essendon in a grand final. They made-from memory-517. Bill stood on a stool in the dressing room and said. "Ok you lot, I'll make half and you get the rest".
We won. Bill was 287 not out!!!

Loved every minute of it

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Sun 30 Mar 2014, 8:43 am

Geez Rob it sounds like you've had a ball mate "pardon the pun"
Was Bill a pigeon fancier back then  scratch cause that 12th man cd got stuck into him a few times about em  Razz Razz Razz  and yeah Vic is fortunate you only used the balls for Cricket and not the jiggy jigg  fghghg 

I was talkin to Goldstrijk last night and he reckoned he spread it round like wheat in his younger days  Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 3179412840 Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 3179412840 lol! Sorry Maaaate  Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 3189625650 
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 Empty Re: advice for gpx5000 users

Post by aussie18 Sun 30 Mar 2014, 9:05 am

wow Robert, that's a hell of a story.
hoggy drafted in as opening bat hahaha, found memory's of hoggy, Pascoe, rackerman thomo and old d.k in me younger day's glued to the t.v.
old bill scoring 287 n.o geez I take it there was no time limits back in the day. bat til we have a winner style LOL.
great story's , cheers for sharing
jase
aussie18
aussie18

Back to top Go down

Post by joshybear05 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:34 pm

This was an awesome read. Thank you so much for posting it. I can't wait to get out of town and give it a shot and see how I go.

Jb

joshybear05

Back to top Go down

Post by prospectingwa Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:55 am

a very informative read, thanks for sharing this might help me break the drought lol!
prospectingwa
prospectingwa

Back to top Go down

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users - Page 2 Empty A big cheers

Post by CrazyPete Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:15 am

G'day folks Very Happy

Just thought i'd pop in and say a big thankyou to all for your kind remarks
about this post Wink
And i hope it has been some help for someone, even if it opened up minds
to thinkin outside the bubble  Very Happy

As some will know l'm now livin in Vic as of last Feb and i bloody love these
new fields over here  cheers  but i cant for the life of me understand why
so many 'Tuthersiders' say there is no gold left in Vic  scratch  scratch
'HELLO'  Shocked its a rare metal  scratch it aint bein handed out on friggin
paper plates  Razz  not here, or WA or any other place, and never will or was.

The simple way to look at gold prospecting is 90% of operators get 10%
of the gold, and 10% of the operators get 90% of the gold  Twisted Evil  Very Happy
A few tweaks and some time honored geological understanding can flip you
over into the 10/90% realm quite easily  Very Happy  Very Happy

Livin in Vic has allowed me to develop a whole new bag of tricks and i would say i'm
gettin just as much if not more gold than when i was livin over west, so, to all you
Vic scratchers, YOU ARE RIGHT  Twisted Evil  there aint no gold left in Vic hahaha Razz
but ive heard there's sh1t loads in Tassy  cheers  Razz  Razz  Razz  Suspect  lol!

pete  Cool  kwdf
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:33 pm

Good on yah Pete.

Totally agree with yah. Its not a case of having a metal detector and finding gold, far from it and i guess thats why u see GPX machines going for less than 5k here and there--the vast majority dont know how to use them to their full advantage and some are too frightened to tweek the controls like the RX -Stabilizer-Target Vol etc and this also includes tweeking the Manual tune to get rid of EMI on most occasions and also to highten sensitivity to some nuggets.

Tassy -- well u can have that to yahself--scared of the devils and the cold..

but I like the devils attitude--

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next