Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX5000 DD Coils

5 posters

Go down

GPX5000 DD Coils Empty GPX5000 DD Coils

Post by Guest Mon 28 Nov 2011, 11:10 am

On the weekend i went for a swing out to a patch i have done pretty well on, so far only swinging Mono's
11" round,14x9 ellip,17x10 ellip,10x5 ellip, so i thought why not strap on a DD to the 5000 and give it a run,
so i did just that and i can tell you here n now i will Never fit a DD to the girl again.

It was noisey and very chattery no matter what i did to control it, and in the end i decided to run in Psuedo
Mono just to get some performance outta it, of course that halfed my depth and coverage,
the DD coil was the supplied run of the mill 11DD, brand new never used until then.

It really did make me appreciate the new Fine Gold timings in the 5000 even more, on the same ground
using a Mono coil i can ramp up the Gain to 18 with the Stab on 10 - 13 and she runs real sweet

So its back on with the dream coil = 11" commander Mono for me as my prefered standard coil,
BTW i still like my other Mono's (14x9 ellip,17x10 ellip,10x5 ellip)..

Has anyone else run a DD on their 5000 ?? it would be good to hear your impressions too Very Happy

Cheers
Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 DD Coils Empty Re: GPX5000 DD Coils

Post by Guest Mon 28 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

Pete, from the 5000 manual

"Normal
Normal gives you the best performance on a wide range of
soil conditions, and it will provide the best depth on a wide
variety of target sizes. It works particularly well with Double D
coils for general detecting. You should always use Normal in
new areas where you are unsure of the soil mineralisation and
the depth/size of targets."

Perhaps your ground is too benign for the DD or there is a problem with the coil/detector. :?: :?: :?:

It stands to reason that ML wouldn't include a DD coil if it didn't work well on the 5000

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Mon 28 Nov 2011, 2:39 pm

pete
I keep wanting to mess with the DD too but get out so infrequently
these days that I just go for the coils I understand with the settings I have worked out.
From what you have said I may wait til I have some idle time before I mess with it.
The ground that I hunt when I do have time is very similar to WA with very high mineralization,
ironstone and red dirt.
cheers

Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Nov 2011, 3:27 pm

Hi Robert

I think i may have a dud coil, the dtector has and does work flawlesly with mono's
i reckin ill just bung it in the shed along with the other 3 11"DD coils from previous machines.

Flak:

If i was you i would just be sticking to that trusty ellip Mono you use,
Very Happy i'll sell you a 11"DD if you want one Suspect Suspect Razz

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 6:45 pm

Double D's on these GPX machines, M8 I reckon that ML should just supply 2 monos and make the DD's an optional extra.

I remember the GPextreme came with an 11" & 18" DD well I reckon the GPX should come with the same sizes but in mono's

it's not 2L8M8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 6:48 pm

Spot on there cobber, the DD has had its day on thr wand, give us 2 Mono's and the hard case
we got with the extreme.

Crazy pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait Thu 01 Dec 2011, 7:19 pm

went to a training day at Clermont. All the instructor wanted to talk about were DD coils on the 5000. What a waste of a day. Yes, he had it running quiet on test pieces of gold in an air test. but i did not agree with what he had to say.

I asked him about running fine gold and he said it was the noisiest setting..

AFAIC they made the 5000 purely for a mono coil.... enough said.
Goldbait
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 01 Dec 2011, 7:34 pm

I hate the DD's, only use mono's with my extremes. Never had any problem, the mono's work fine.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 7:39 pm

I hear ya Goldbait, some of them ML instructors don't have a clue, M8 if we wanted a detector with a DD'coil we would have stayed with the GP series. They need to catch up, or is it deliberate on their part, like when you asked about "Fine Gold" setting on the GPX5000, well don't you thing ML had a good reason for putting it there, other wise it may just as well have been called a GPX4500(b) or something without it.

After all whats the point of setting up the machine properly on the FREE training day when you can charge them for more training later on. confused Suspect

may as well be 2L8M8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Dec 2011, 6:41 am

Goldbait,

Talk to Minelab about it. It might just improve their training up your way.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Someday Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:48 pm

I say your coil is stuffed. I started using the DD when there was to much junk "Quiet as a kitten" I don't think ML has 2 5000's the same! :cyclops:
Someday
Someday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:56 am

My 4000 with a DD in tracking is a waste of time. The thing is all over the place like a mad womans sh#t. I will stick with my 18 inch Goldstalker mono anyday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:09 pm

CrustyGus wrote:My 4000 with a DD in tracking is a waste of time. The thing is all over the place like a mad womans sh#t. I will stick with my 18 inch Goldstalker mono anyday.

That not being able to use a DD is strange Gus, do you only use it in sen/smooth?
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:44 am

Inhere wrote:
CrustyGus wrote:My 4000 with a DD in tracking is a waste of time. The thing is all over the place like a mad womans sh#t. I will stick with my 18 inch Goldstalker mono anyday.

That not being able to use a DD is strange Gus, do you only use it in sen/smooth?

Yeah I know mate,but maybe my brain is tuned to the Big Mono`s these days.
Sensitive/smooth/deep/fixed is how I normally run.
Dont even like running in tracking with the Mono on either.
Tried a few targets in normal last week. It was supposed to be a better responce than sensitive on deep signals but I soon pissed it off and went back to my original settings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down