Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prospectors still gettin lost--were"s your beakon????

4 posters

Go down

Prospectors still gettin lost--were"s your beakon???? Empty Prospectors still gettin lost--were"s your beakon????

Post by Guest Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:03 pm

I read the Kalgoolie Miner and low and behold 2 more prospectors have got lost in the bush..

I reckon it should be mandatory that if anyone is goin bush detecting then they must carry a epirb or location beakon with their pack.

U have to do it when in a boat so why not when u r in inhospiable country that looks exactly the same one way or another, over hill over dale, this way that way....

The consequence of not having the beakon is that u should be given the expense of the search and rescue for the duration that everyone was there lookin for u. Mate I dont come cheap.

We all spend upwards of $30,000 on gear-detectors-vehicles --etc etc --u would shitee yaself if u sat down and worked it all out yet u cant afford a $400 beakon..fair dinkim.
I havent worked out my cost coz I think the mrs would tear strips of me -- all she's got is a couple of necklasses to show for the investment..enough said this could get ugly if she hacks into my computer..struff that was close --she stuck her head in the door of my office and yelled out--DINNER--enough said.

So lets see everyone have a safe and memorable excursion in the bush in WA.

If u carry a beakon what do u have and app.. cost..

Personal locator beacons on ebay..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Prospectors still gettin lost--were"s your beakon???? Empty Re: Prospectors still gettin lost--were"s your beakon????

Post by araratgold Wed 10 Apr 2013, 6:01 am

Oneday,

Coudn't agree more.
I have bought 2 of the MT410G beacons for Dad and I for our 3 and a half months in WA. $354 each delivered from Direct UHF and GPS via Ebay. Accurate to about 50 metres.
We have hand held GPS, compasses, and 2 watt handheld radios, but if all else fails, the beacon is cheap insurance ! Very Happy

Cheers,
Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Prospectors still gettin lost--were"s your beakon???? Empty Re: Prospectors still gettin lost--were"s your beakon????

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:04 am

I defniatley feel better knowing I have a PLB in my pack often it is the only connection with the outside world if things do go pear shaped, often no Cel coverage and no one listening in range on UHF.

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tributer Wed 10 Apr 2013, 8:10 am

Hi Oneday I cannot see why anyone heading into the desert would not have a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).
I got one recently (image below). The aerial wraps around the unit and pops up on release. They are so small and its good to know if I am detecting in the hills and injure myself I can just push the button and they know where I am with 150 metres. Of course you take all care and prepare well and go with a friend if possible. Apart from my piece of mind, my family has told me the they have piece of mind knowing I am carrying a PLB. The beacon has to be registered (free) and you can list people to be contacted if the beacon is activated and you can update your upcoming trip plans on the government beacon site.
There are some good deals on the model I got on ebay at the moment, the manufacturer is throwing in a huge top first aid kit, signal mirror with a sight and an emergency strobe signal light with the PLB purchase. So for the cost of 8 grams of gold its a cheap form of insurance when you consider they last 6 six tears. Very Happy
Cheers Tributer

Prospectors still gettin lost--were"s your beakon???? IMG_00031024x683_zps555db1ff
Tributer
Tributer

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 12 Apr 2013, 4:19 pm

heard on the abc radio news someone in Kal activated their personal beacon & 2 aircraft were sent out , turned out to be a hoax call ... big fines apply
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 May 2013, 7:14 pm

Struff-- I read in the local rag that a prospector rolled his quad and was stuck in the bush for the past 2 days--geez when will this end..

Luckily the ses and police including a chopper found the bloke resting under some trees 2 ks from his camp..

how hard is it to attach a beacon to your bike--just in case..they could have been there 2 days earlier..

I'm glad they found him alive and well.

Regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down