Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gettin fit befor headin out

+2
Nosralt
reg
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

gettin fit befor headin out Empty gettin fit befor headin out

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm

Yep u heard right--how many of us go bush wearing a beer gut or two--
well heres a get fit video u will aspire to..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vruJVx5CNvo
regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

gettin fit befor headin out Empty gotta luv it

Post by reg Sun 24 Mar 2013, 5:59 pm

thats a classic gotta luv it gettin fit befor headin out 3179412840 gettin fit befor headin out 3179412840 gettin fit befor headin out 3179412840
reg
reg

Back to top Go down

gettin fit befor headin out Empty Re: gettin fit befor headin out

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:20 pm

I loved Hoges back then when we didn't take life seriously. Look at us now - miserable buggers we are being made to be.

But I can tell you honestly, I was a bloke that wouldn't go near "a pussy gym" years ago. But as my fitness has left me as I've gotten older, I can definitely recommend the gym to get strength and energy back for the detecting season. I was really thinking of chucking in gold bipping, but after a heart attack I decided to start at the gym. I now feel 100% better for the effort and about 20 years younger and I can go all day,,,,,,,,,,,,and all night,,,,,,,,,,but the missus doesn't go to the gym,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!! affraid

I'm even back to doing my own tyres in the bush,,,,,,,,,if I really have to Wink

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

Good on ya CAT--I've been thinking of goin to the gym for the past 15 years--suppose I might get there one day--pity about the mrs though--she wouldn't know what hit her..

as far as tyres goes --i always carry 4--stuff it the boys in the workshop can fix em..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:50 pm

I carry two made up spares on the rear carrier and have 4 tyres in the 'dozer's support trailer. I'm often so far out it costs me too much in time and diesel getting into town just for a ripped tyre, so sometimes I do my own - when I have to. I once did three (two brand new) in 45 minutes!! I was orbital!! My wife left camp and sat with the dog about 50 metres away I was that bad!

I might do a story about the "pyrotechnical method" of snapping a tubeless back on to the rim. It's spectacular at night and even better during the day when yer mates are watching and you set your daks on fire!!!

jhgigfif

Cat

Last edited by Caterpillar on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

your a time bomd ready to explode-no wonder the mrs sleeps with the dog--just in case she sparks ya fuse..god knows what u would get up to.. jkihyig

Hopefully u take the valve out when u blow up ya tyres?

now i can see why the country side is all burnt--its u repairing ya tyres out in the bush.. lol!

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:27 pm

Now, don’t try this at home children. Only complete fools are qualified to attempt this.

Now after breaking yer back to get the tyre back on the rim and you’ve had a cuppa, kicked the dog and the missus is in the van “reading a book” it’s time to “snap the tyre on”.

First remove the valve. Next remove any plastic groundsheets or tarps that you’d laid under the tyre when you were re-fitting it. I’ve blown tarps to kingdom doing this. I’m an expert. gettin fit befor headin out 3189625650

Get a spoonful of petrol – a very small spoonful – I mean it!! Then get a can of CRC or flyspray. Flyspray workd best I reckon, but anything with a propane propellant will do.

DO NOT HAVE THE PETROL CAN ANYWHERE THIS WHEN YOU HAVE A TRY. IF YOU’RE DOING THIS IN LEONORA GET THE MISSUS TO TAKE THE CAN BACK TO KALGOORLIE !!

Put the nozzle of the spray can right over the tyre valve fitting (that black thing that sticks out of the rim) and spray into the tyre for no longer than 3 seconds.

Wrap the leg of your strides in yer socks - bike clip fashion.

Get a box of matches.

Put your heel hard in between the steel rim and the tyre and push it as hard as you can downwards to create a slight gap between the two.
Pour the spoonful of petrol into the gap.

Quick as you can, strike a match and throw it at the gap.

A nuclear explosion will then occur and the tyre will snap back onto the rim with a bang that will scare people in Fukushima! affraid

jhgigfif

A rush of gases will be heard roaring out of the tyre and you tyre will be securely fitted back the rim and the tyre may swell up A BIT - IF IT WORKS!

I’ve had several that didn’t work and I will elaborate on what to do about that in my next message.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosralt Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

lol!
Nosralt
Nosralt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

What to do when you’re showing off to yer mates about how stupid you can be,,,,,,,and the tyre doesn’t go back on.

Try again – in my case 4 TIMES!! The thing just wouldn’t flash bang back on again. It just wouldn’t catch. So “working class hero me” now has 4 loads of fly spray in there and four failed “spoonfuls of petrol”. My mates are all muttering, “He’s gonna kill us all”, the wife’s taken the dog for a walk and a bloody long walk at that and I’m opening a new box of matches! lwkgthgt

By now, I’m sweating like General Custer and I’ve taken my strides outta my socks for some ventilation. I set it up again and “WHOOOSHHHH, KERBLAMMM, ORANGE FLASH WALLOP I’m on my freckle with my strides on fire, my legs all burnt and my mates all on their backs wetting ‘emselves laffin’@!!! lweg ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They reckoned it was ACE!!

The tyre was all swollen and looked like it was never gonna stop expanding! It was like a barrage balloon! Ya could nearly see through it was that stretched!! gettin fit befor headin out 3189625650

Next time I did it, it was late evening and the flash is awesome even though it worked first time. It did, however, make me aware just how much blast effect the human body can stand!!

The misssus refuses to watch any more.

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

Caterpillar wrote:What to do when you’re showing off to yer mates about how stupid you can be,,,,,,,and the tyre doesn’t go back on.

Try again – in my case 4 TIMES!! The thing just wouldn’t flash bang back on again. It just wouldn’t catch. So “working class hero me” now has 4 loads of fly spray in there and four failed “spoonfuls of petrol”. My mates are all muttering, “He’s gonna kill us all”, the wife’s taken the dog for a walk and a bloody long walk at that and I’m opening a new box of matches! lwkgthgt

By now, I’m sweating like General Custer and I’ve taken my strides outta my socks for some ventilation. I set it up again and “WHOOOSHHHH, KERBLAMMM, ORANGE FLASH WALLOP I’m on my freckle with my strides on fire, my legs all burnt and my mates all on their backs wetting ‘emselves laffin’@!!! lweg ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They reckoned it was ACE!!

The tyre was all swollen and looked like it was never gonna stop expanding! It was like a barrage balloon! Ya could nearly see through it
Next time I did it, it was late evening and the flash is awesome even though it worked first time. It did, however, make me aware just how much blast effect the human body can stand!!

The misssus refuses to watch any more.

Hey Cat how about doing a YouTube clip us, I'd like to see that. gettin fit befor headin out 3179412840
Chris
shorty
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

This is a clip, but not me. It was a very clean "bang" and it worked well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=d7bN8WPok9E&feature=endscreen

This is one I would never do as acetylene is deadly and unstable compared to propane. Watch how much the tyre stretches with the explosion gases. That's dangerous and probably damaged the tyre sidewalls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3KelOt1_gI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Here's another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFfXhTQBwWI

I got the method from You Tube in the first place and it does work. But I only use it when I really have to 'cos the bush is the last place that you wanna get burnt!

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:44 am

flaming maniacs

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:09 am

Ya gotta know how to get outta the pooh in the bush Ray, it's a dangerous place for you city dwellers!!

Mind you, you need to be daft enough to get in the pooh first place, otherwise you're not trying hard enough. lol!

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

Flats in the scrub is the reason I liked the split rims I had on the old nissan and tojo. I always carried spare tubes and spare everything.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:36 am

This all getting off the topic, I realise, but I stopped using split rims some years ago as I was getting just as many rips 'n flats with them as I was with tubeless fatties. Even more compelling is that years ago I was always readily able to get good 2nd hand 7.50/16 tubed tyres for split rims as mining companies always used 'em. But a few years back companies stopped using 'em and switched to tubeless for reasons of safety. So now it's almost impossible to get tyres for splits in the bush. Add to that, most tourists have tubeless fatties on and therefore there's practically no market in the bush for 7.50/16 tubed tyres. So nobody stocks 'em. So I switched back to fatties and just plug what I can and change out what I can't.

The safety reason from companies was that geos and the feild guys were tasked with fixing thier own punctures when in the bush. But they were getting too many back strains and even more, too many "blowoff" incidents where the locking ring wasn't seated correctly and came hurtling out and hitting people. They now carry two tubeless spares and set of repair plugs = "Less Accidents".

PS - they certainly don't blow tyres back on like I do!!!

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonefisher Tue 26 Mar 2013, 7:07 pm

Thanks for that monday, Very Happy .

Made me chuckle. Being a Pom who arrived in Australia way back in 1980 Paul Hogan was then my first intro to Aussie humour, great stuff, and bought back many a happy memory for me of my first experiences of Australia.

In fact at that time I 'think' his show was on a Thursday night, which happened to be the same night my parents did the weekly shop, as soon as they buggered off I would put the show on, have a few fags, a few beers and laugh me socks off, wasn't until years later they told me they knew exactly what I got up to but left me to it, parents, don't you just luv em. fghghg

On a down side Joe Dolce with Shaddap Your Face was No 1, Shocked gettin fit befor headin out 4066623196

Now 33 years later, a few ups and downs, many a trip back 'home' (Australia) I'm presently back in the UK but headed back later this year for good, cheers .

Since reading your OP I have you tubed loads of Hogans stuff, as funny now as it was then, thanks for that matey.

Cheers Boney.
Bonefisher
Bonefisher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm

Good on ya Boney--its a pity u werent comin back earlier --could have got u to bring back a few spares for my Rollas..

No probs with good old paul hogan--an eternal legend--and then came aunty jack--well enough said--showin me age..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonefisher Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:08 pm

oneday monday wrote:Good on ya Boney--its a pity u werent comin back earlier --could have got u to bring back a few spares for my Rollas..

No probs with good old paul hogan--an eternal legend--and then came aunty jack--well enough said--showin me age..

regards
oneday

Laughing Nice one mate.

But on a serious note, loads of replies and great stuff about getting fit for a trip. Being a Pom I have spent many a month in the outback checking out local history, the early explorers still fascinate me, and fair play, guts or what. a;SCAQ

But I have always tried to be prepared and gone fairly well equipped, caught short once way back when, my own fault totally, not enough water, and it scared the living be jesus out of me, NEVER AGAIN.

But time and again I've seen many folk (mostly tourists) who just don't take the outback seriously, makes me mad mate as there is all the info you want out there about the possible dangers.

NEVER EVER take what the outback 'can' be for granted. It is the most wonderful place I have ever been in, (and can't wait to get back there) but at the same time it can be a right unforgiving place and NOT the place to be unprepared.

Cheers Boney.
Bonefisher
Bonefisher

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:16 pm

o yep with ya on the fittness talk , especialy on a sat morning .... fighting fit , that is , fighting for a breath & fit for bugger all ! lol!
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:16 pm

double post , slow net
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:56 pm

Because I've been real busy lately with DMP issues and I've suffered a real bad wound infection where I couldn't walk far, I've not been doing my usual 2 or 3 times at the gym. I'm now starting to feel my back pain returning and my legs are weakening again. I have to get back to the gym and get some upper body and leg strength back or I'll be spending days on end in the van with a "pulled back". I find going to the gym improves my prospecting walking and working around the camp 200%. Even pulling firewood in is easier. Gotta get back to it for a few weeks before I "go bush" mid-April.

I'd recommend getting fit to anyone that's going bipping. Going from an office job to prospecting in the bush without being reasonably fit means you'll lose the first couple of weeks just getting up to speed and you'll be exhausted by the time your holiday is over. Especially an oldie such as me.

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:14 pm

And dont forget gathering & chainsawing, chopping fire wood with an axe , centerpedes etc, snappy gum in the pilbara falling on the noggin when you give it a shake etc, is the most dangerous part of the days prospecting & its stubby time too remember , reckon we all have a story there... wonder how the deaf n blind guy work that one out .... when i nod my head , you hit it.... ouch.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:10 pm

Hey Cat hows it going , just your read previous in regards to your injury . I once had a shin scrape that turned into a nasty tropical ulcer in Darwin& then once in Nullagine i rolled down Hallcoms peak sideways on my quad bike & picked up numerous scrapes & pizzas hanging off me that turned real bad . Usually cuts & stuff heal after a week or so but this did not, ive seen others living in the bush get wounds that wont heal & the first thing the nursing post says is ... Your not eating your vegies , on the piss you blokes etc , like in the old days they called it Barcoo rot.

Its commonly known as the flesh eating bacteria , but its not at all , its a bacteria thats carried by mossies in some areas & when a cut ,no matter how small occurs prohibits the blood flow to heal & it just gets bigger by the day . If you google BAIRNSDALE ULCER you will get the idea , scary thing if you dont hit it quick .

My success with it was my german mate had a broad spectrum anti biotic his chemist missus gave him & i mixed it into a paste with a vitamin e capsule & rubbed it in to the wounds & 3 days later i was on the mend [i was desperate as the doctor stuff did nothing ]

Any how Cat , maybe not your problem , but ive read ionic silver ointment will shake ANY bacterial infection , & even the medical systems are starting to use it on bandages etc ,when it was once veiwed as quackery. cheers from pissy bush doc albo. lol!
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:05 am

Dr Albo I presume

Regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

o yea , as for the gym ,il pass on that, i believe God gave us only so many heartbeats for this life & you wont see me wasting them down the gym , the wierdos go there, see it at the mines lol!

I reckon you could liken getting fit for prsopecting a bit like the wallys that start their cars in the morning & idle them for10 mins before they do a 5 min drive to town , Best way is to get into it & drive it , itle warm as you go. cheers,
DOC ALBO ,
batchelor of stubbies.

bonefisher Tony, I reckon Perc the wino under the bridge was one of the best of the skits Hogan did

Last edited by albo on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added stuff)
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next