Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tablet for GeoMap

+2
Waypoint
Pebbles
6 posters

Go down

Tablet for GeoMap Empty Tablet for GeoMap

Post by Pebbles Fri 05 Dec 2014, 7:48 am

I am interested in finding out if anyone is using a tablet to run GeoMap. If so, what brand and your general comments on its performance.

Currently I am using an Asus 11’’ touch screen notebook. This does the job pretty well, but there are a couple of things that could be improved on. Firstly, it is not that convenient to handle in the cabin of my vehicle, particularly with the GPS and power cords connected, Secondly, and probably the most annoying, is that often the screen is difficult to read in normal daylight. I find that most times I have to turn and tilt the screen to reduce the glare and reflection.

So, I am thinking that a tablet might be an alternative, but am open to any other suggestions.
Thanks.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Tablet for GeoMap Empty Re: Tablet for GeoMap

Post by Waypoint Fri 05 Dec 2014, 11:56 am

G'day Col, have a look in to what's called a tough book, in particular the ones with a built in gps the screen can also be rotated to operate as a tablet if you like that sort of thing. I find them much more versatile then our iPad. If the price of a new one is not in your budget have a look one eBay it can be a good way to get started with them.

Waypoint.
Waypoint
Waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Sun 07 Dec 2014, 9:31 am

WP thanks for your response. I did look at Tough Books quite some time ago. The price, even of second hand ones, was more than I was prepared to pay, especially given the limited use it would get. I will, however, keep an eye on ebay.

If I could find a way to overcome the reflection/glare issue, I could live with my current set up.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Dec 2014, 10:51 am

cant u get an anti glare film or screen to put over the screen?

what about those orange and yellow screens u see advertised on the telly for people who have a hard time seeing when driving--god help us.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Waypoint Sun 07 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

Lol hey Oneday I was thinking the same thing. Has any one bought them and wants to do a review they look so un cool there cool.

Waypoint.
Waypoint
Waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Dec 2014, 11:38 am

I had a car in the workshop a few weeks ago and the lady owner had a set of those glare covers in her car and must admit they work well during daylight--didn't test it at night..same as orange tinted sunnies..

HD vision visor

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Sun 07 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

You can, there are any number of such films available out there.  I have done a fairly extensive Google preview search and none of the ones that I have come across get a very good wrap up.
Some time ago I came upon this info:

As yet, I haven’t been able to source the film mentioned in the clip, but will look again.
In the meantime, I’ll just keep bitchin’!

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 07 Dec 2014, 1:17 pm

i currently use G/E and a BUK353s mouse gps on a laptop and have the same issues. i have tried many anti glare films off ebay with not much success. the orange ones on TV do look the part and might be worth a try. i also have some samples from a window tint fellow that he recommended and need to try them out to see if they help.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueapps Fri 05 Jan 2018, 7:09 pm

Depends on how much you are using GeoMap in the vehicle. Do you just want to know where the tenement boundaries are or when your out an about do you want to be able to see minedex and other data?

For a quick and easy display of Tenements vs position the Happy Prospector App fills the hole nicely, currently available on Android and IOS coming (soon I hope).

Some of the netbook style laptops do fold over top be a tablet, which you may be able to use better. (still require external GPS, but there are other options)

I've used a number of different tablets and Laptops over the past few years with GeoMap, and personally found that the small 9 - 11" laptop is a good fit. Its small enough to fit in the cabin, and can be mounted with a bit of thought in most vehicles. many can also be powered direct form 12volts so power isn't an issue.

Regards

BlueApps Support

Blueapps
Blueapps

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiv Fri 12 Jan 2018, 7:02 am

I use a hp 14" laptop with all sorts of mapping software and I have tried a lot of different laptop to stop this problematic glare, I have found that the misses come up with the best idea and works most time was a simple card board apron that cover out from the screen 2" on the sides and 4" out from the top. base of a beer carton works well, I have been looking for a heads up display for the windscreen which would be the ducks nuts.

Chiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri 12 Jan 2018, 3:57 pm

Have been using a laptop in my GU Nissan for years. Only takes a few minutes to set up once I reach campsite.
12VDC/16VDC converter hard wired so can leave it running night and day if need be.
Made the frame from 12mm S/S tube and it bolts to existing points in vehicle.
Doesn't interfere with gear changes etc.
Linked to GPS so I can use oziExplorer moving map.

Tablet for GeoMap Laptopmount3

Tablet for GeoMap Laptopmount

Tablet for GeoMap Laptopmount2

Last edited by Nightjar on Fri 12 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : wrong photo)

Tablet for GeoMap Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiv Fri 12 Jan 2018, 7:16 pm

nice set up there Nightjar, I have mine mounted up higher on the dash (Colorado) but I like what you have done nice and neat too, with all the electrical gizmos we seem to carry around, room runs out real quick. If it wasn't for the fact that getting down some of these bush tracks I would get a small 4x4 truck, they have a lot more room in the dash area. Use to drive a ft750 4x4 truck that had a X20 monitor(running xp back then ) in it for spraying, if you could find one that is cheap enough to buy these would make the perfect mapping software type of machine, as the glare never bothered these too much. the X10 where ok but heavy and mount rubbers would brake all the time

Chiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down