Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IPad/Tablet

+3
AussieAU
waustin
IFOne
7 posters

Go down

IPad/Tablet Empty IPad/Tablet

Post by IFOne Sun 23 Mar 2014, 4:36 pm

Not being very familar with all this tecnical stuff, I have just worked out Google Earth and am thinking of buying one of these IPad/Tablet things. I have been told about apps and how they work etc but my question is. If you load Google Earth on one of these and then take it out bush where there is no phone signal will Google Earth still work. Sorry if my question is dumb but gotta start somewhere.

IFOne

Back to top Go down

IPad/Tablet Empty Re: IPad/Tablet

Post by Guest Sun 23 Mar 2014, 4:42 pm

cant be too dumb --spot on if u don't know the answer.. coz I don't know the answer either.  lol! 

waiting for replies

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

IPad/Tablet Empty iPad GPS

Post by waustin Sun 23 Mar 2014, 5:04 pm

I have an iPad that is 3G capable.. the ones that take a SIM card. These have a built in GPS and don't need to have phone coverage to work. Mine works fine without the SIM card and locates me on any of the mapping apps that I have. Has worked in the goldfields out of Kalgoorlie through to Leinster. If I need to access internet, email etc then I pair it to my iPhone (simple procedure) and use the data allowance on my phone. This has enabled me to use Google Earth and download tenement data when I am in phone range.

The WiFi only iPads don't have the inbuilt GPS as far as I know. The 3G capable ones are more expensive but in this case make the iPad useable as a mapping device.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Wayne
waustin
waustin

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU Sun 23 Mar 2014, 6:23 pm

You need internet access at some stage for google earth, and then just zoom around the area that you are going to be in and that area is retained in memory. You can then open google earth when not on the internet.

Then you can use your GPS with google earth as you would with any other mapping program.

As Wayne has said you dont need to be in a phone coverage area for a GPS to work, as it works from satellites, if you can see the sky you can get GPS coverage.

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by IFOne Sun 23 Mar 2014, 6:40 pm

Sorry to be dumb again, but does that mean you can zoom in on your area at home then call it up when you get to your area that doesnt have phone coverage?

IFOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Mar 2014, 6:45 pm

I gather from what these blokes r saying is that once u down load everything onto your puter its on there--so once u r in the bush u only need the co-ords for your GPS which works on saterlights not phone coverage.
regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sun 23 Mar 2014, 7:21 pm

IFOne wrote:Sorry to be dumb again, but does that mean you can zoom in on your area at home then call it up when you get to your area that doesnt have phone coverage?

Google Earth gets new ground data from the internet...
If you pan and zoom around it will only zoom on areas youve been to before when online last from cached memory stored on your device. If it cant refresh, or run off cached data (ie not connected to the net) it won't pan and zoom there.

So if you are heading out and cant get internet yet, zoom around and pan all the areas you want to go to (like I do, before I go so Google Earth will run here I want it to).

I get my PC tablet to run Google Earth and or Geo Map with a GPS stick connected to its USB port or Hand held GPS NMEA coms USB lead.

If I need Internet I just make my internet data enabled phone a Hotspot and set my Tablet to pick it up on a wireless connection.
If out of range then your looking at needing a phone with an external aerial connection for a stronger signal or get a 3/4G modem that has an external aerial connection for remote areas.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by NuggieDreamer on Sun 23 Mar 2014, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Sun 23 Mar 2014, 7:44 pm

Good on you IFOne for starting the thread because this is a subject I am also not sure about.Its ok when I can pin-point my young bloke down to assist with all this computer jargon but he is not always available.I am reasonably fine at home but would also like to have access to all the information whilst in the bush.

Cheers

phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by IFOne Mon 24 Mar 2014, 8:26 am

Thanks again for all your feedback. Once I decide on which IPad Tablet to buy (I am giong for either Apple or Samsung) then I will have a play and see what I can work out.

IFOne

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Mon 24 Mar 2014, 9:36 am

My choice would be a Windows 8 based Laptop/Tablet at this stage in time for using GeoMap.

1. The new Windows 8 is suited for Touch Screen Tablets like the Apple uses and works like most Android/iPad touch screen operation type software and has a Win 7 Desktop/My Computer interface screen PC users are familiar with too.
2. My PC Tablet has a USB 3.0 connection not sure about the new iPad.
3, I dont think DMP GeoMap Software runs on an iPad Apple OS yet.
4. You can get MSOffice Software free with the PC Based tablets like my Ausus T100 which has a detachable keyboard that protects its 10" Screen.

just my 2 cents worth...
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon Mon 24 Mar 2014, 11:57 am

I check out the area that I will be working in on my laptop before leaving and google earth retains what I was looking at with co-ords etc.-even though its not `live` its just as good for remote areas where you cant get a signal to save your life-Dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:15 am

I use the same tablet combo as NuggieDreamer, it allows you to connect to a portable GPS and use moving map on Google earth. You can build routs to travel from close up viewing of your intended drive and follow your progress from the big screen. Stuff a micro SD card in it for way more memory and load your Google and all associated maps and saved places on the card. That way you can take them from one PC/tablet  to the other if need be....or simply connect it to a USB HDD and copy the cache folder to that drive to move from one PC to the other. Tomato tamato.??

Careful when cleaning your PC using cleaners that look into offline cache file/folders, your Google earth cache may just get wiped, meaning you'll have to lite up the net again and go back over your spots of interest. Embarassed 
Worried??.  wtf  lwkgh 

Tablets are going to be limited to the amount of memory cache and disk cache due to their HDD size and RAM size. Laptops will allow a little more depending on their RAM and HDD size.??
Easiest thing to do is as i mentioned above...copy the entire Google cache folder to another location when your finished stuffing about in GE.
In Windows 7 you'll find it here....
C:\Users\"username"\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth
Same for Win8-8.1.
Maybe the same for WinXP?? cant remember its greying like the hair on my head. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum