Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

noisy detector and touch sensitive coils

+3
Panther
Bignuggs
fencejumper
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

noisy detector and touch sensitive coils Empty noisy detector and touch sensitive coils

Post by Guest Sun 03 Nov 2013, 11:57 am

since we r broken down again I thought I would get a couple of days detecting in to break the monotony.

the bloody machine would not shut up so after tweaking the gain and stabilizer I decided to take it out of enhance and run in general, hit the auto tune and try again.

well this worked however the 16" and the 8x6 coils I was swinging are touch sensitive --hit a bit of snake root or a flower then the thing goes off..couldn't drag the coil on the ground as it would continually ping like a signal..

Is anyone else having this problem..not to mention that the end of the shaft fell out were it holds the coil socket.

using the advantage coils and aren't all that old.. I didn't have my 11" commander coil (back in the workshop) as I don't seem to get any problems with the commander coils.

After all the frustration did manage to get a 1.3 grammer.
Madmav who is also up with me pinged a couple of pieces to top off the day.

look forward to any ideas or remedies

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

noisy detector and touch sensitive coils Empty Re: noisy detector and touch sensitive coils

Post by fencejumper Sun 03 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm

have you removed your skid plates and cleaned inside?

Back to top Go down

noisy detector and touch sensitive coils Empty Re: noisy detector and touch sensitive coils

Post by Guest Sun 03 Nov 2013, 12:54 pm

yeah mate and retaped them.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper Sun 03 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

'm sure ya checked all the usuals like clean connections/no loose coil cable so i'd be sending the 16" back
the 8x6 is so sensitive a lot have complained how nosey they are when touching anything so i'm guessing that seems normal
the folks I detect with have sold there 8x6 nf
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Nov 2013, 1:15 pm

Ray,

At different times, I've had two coils go "touch sensitive" on me, both Nugget Finders. I sent 'em back as they were still under warranty. I always deal with Reed's Prospecting and there were no questions asked and the replacment coils were back in Leonora within 5 days.

They're not worth messing about with as 90% of the time, once the obviuous things have been tried, the coils is buggered inside. Most likely the Faraday Sheilding has come unstuck inside. That's about the most common problem when they go "touch sensitive".

I once had a ML Commander 11" coil go bad on me from day one. The problem was at the plug end near the box. It had been badly soldered in the factory and two wires had melted slightly into each other - but ya could barely see it without a magnifying glass. However, I persevered with it but I really should have sent it back. After resoldering the plug it was no better. It went in the bin!!

Don't mess with it just post it.

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Nov 2013, 1:24 pm

Thanks Cat--sounds like I might post them back for the powers to b to see if they can check them out

wondering if the coil plug on the detector might b the culprit..coz everytime I wiggle the plug which is done up firmly and to me looks as if it is clean is making the coils scream and carry one like a woman who has drank a full flagon of port..

u wouldn't go 40seconds without rebalancing the machine..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Nov 2013, 5:59 pm

One last test if everything else is done.. Pick a windless calm night ie about 11pm to 5am. Give it a quick detect then and see if it still happens.... sometimes atmospheric conditions can really give you grief as well. ( not saying this is the problem though but worth a try before sending it back or tossing it.)

Just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

i'm usually in the fart sack by 8pm and don't rise till 6.30am so that rules that one out..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

The next time you are out there and going for a tingle during the night. Especially at your age when your prostrate starts to grow as big as a wallnut.

Just do not do it around Menzies way as that guy that went for a tingle in Jan/'feb at night still has not been found.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 03 Nov 2013, 6:26 pm

Ray has a prostate the size of a soccer ball or is it his other things the size of soccer balls  lol! 
Look out for the snakes if ya doing night time detecting  Very Happy

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Nov 2013, 6:37 pm

talkin of snakes that king brown is still hanging around.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 4:51 am

oneday monday wrote:talkin of snakes that king brown is still hanging around.

regards
oneday

Ray

One time when detecting around k-town side of Nicol Bay I happened on to the biggest snake skin I have ever seen about 5-6ft long and must have been about 6" round, wonder if it belonged to the sucker you have seen.noisy detector and touch sensitive coils 3273188554 

Was going to pick it up and take it back to camp to chuck in the mates tent✊ , but wasn't too keen on walking into the spinifex to fetch it in case he was still about and still wanted it:affraid: 

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 5:18 am

Never had any nugget finder coils go touch sensitive on me but plenty of coiltek ones, as the nugget finder advantage coils have potted windings there's nothing left to move really, but they probably go like the old coiltek solid coils, dingo and ufo's, solid resin filled coils where they can crack internally and then flex which generates the falsing.

My guess would be as mentioned the coil plug socket on the control box, you could try this, once you have the cable plugged in secure the lead in place to stop the movement, also you may have to more tightly secure the coil lead down the shaft, the only other things you can do to find the problem is hold the machine (while switched on of course) and wiggle of the lead at the box and if it pings if that's fine do the same where it goes into the coil, because two coils are doing the same thing I would be thinking that its a connection issue not a coil issue, don't mean to try and teach you to suck eggs at all but more often than not I have found most faults are connection issues rather than bung coils.

Another thing that can happen on certain days when the conditions are right, hot and windy etc., you can get static discharges, maybe from rubbing through the spinifex, also might have to forgo the silk undies and stockings, I know they keep the ticks out but it might be possible that some clothing types could also add to that issue.

Around K-town is notorious for spurious sounds and pings, some days while detecting there myself I found that the 4500 would play up off and on, and squeal like a stuck pig so bad at times it was easier to just switch it off and walk away from that spot, as the wind and heat increased around there so did the oddball sounds, if all else fails maybe drag out your dd or anti interference coils.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:13 am

use to sucking eggs here--cliff tells me all the time..

might open the detector box cause everytime u wiggle the connection into the tector the machine squeals and carries on that bad u wonder what the heck and that's after I have switched coils as well.

don't wear silk--commando yes--frillies no..leave that one for the women..

have even taken off 90% of the reflective tape on my yellow shirts..

will take an anti interference coil and give it a go to b sure..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:30 am

oneday monday wrote:Thanks Cat--sounds like I might post them back for the powers to b to see if they can check them out

wondering if the coil plug on the detector might b the culprit..coz everytime I  wiggle the plug which is done up firmly and to me looks as if it is clean is making the coils scream and carry one like a woman who has drank a full flagon of port..

u wouldn't go 40seconds without rebalancing the machine..

regards
oneday
Ray,

They don't check 'em out except to see if they are in fact "noisy". They don't look for the problem to see what it is as it's not worth the cost of repairing. They just send out a new one.

Coils are cheap to make but almost impossible to repair if the problem is at the coil end. To do anything at that end you have practically destroy the coil!It's cost effective to just send out a new one.

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Mon 04 Nov 2013, 6:09 pm

So is Madmav wearing his detector thongs? Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

hes covered from tip to toe and with the temp now over 49c in the sun he aint movin to fast either..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:41 pm

oneday monday wrote:hes covered from tip to toe and with the temp now over 49c in the sun he aint movin  to fast either..

regards
oneday
get Steve to run up and down Mt Regal all day long, that'll fix him lol! 

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:43 pm

buddy is keeping him fit as a horse.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:29 pm

Aaagh! I just remembered! I had a 2100 with this problem and as much as I looked at each coil and every connection, I came to the conclusion that it was the actual control box. Yes, I remember it as I put up a thread on Finders about it years ago.

It was like this,,,,,,,,,,,after all the messing around, I laid out the coil and the cables all seperate,all undone from the shaft and well away from the box - but still connected to it. Picture it. Then, with none of those cables and coils moving in any way whatsoever, I prodded and pushed the outer surface of the box. Sure enough it squealed and squeaked something shocking.

I tool out all the screws from the box and took off the front of the box. In there I found several cables soldered to the back of the socket into which the coil is plugged normally. There was something like rubber band around the cables to keep 'em from moving in relation to each other - now that's very important. When I gently flicked this "retainer" with a very tiny screwdriver, the cables moved very, very slightly - I'm talking "thousandths of a mm" here. Sure enough the same exact same instability occured.

I made up a better method of securing those cables to stop 'em from moving in relation to each other and BINGO, BONGO, BANGO  -  that 2100 was a vastly different machine. I wish I still had it.

Yep -  the alchoholic fog is lifting, the gin and tonics are clearing my mind, I remember, I can see it all now, I can see "The Light", I'm saved, I've seen the other side and Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But when is he gonna want me for a gin & tonic at his place??clown Laughing Laughing 

HTH

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:37 pm

holy shite cat r u saying u have a problem too--struff I must b the only idiot here..whgirt

I am going to pull the tector apart hopefully Thursday befor I crank it up again.coz i'm sure that's what has happened.

regards
ray 

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:40 pm

and that reminds me of a coil from back in the 17000 days. Plug got ripped off the coil cable. No one in Lavo who could fix it, so it got sent back to ML.
well a week and a bit later back it comes and it's totally insane.
cut a long story short, found someone in Leo who did a bit of fixing. Turns out, too much insulation was stripped from the wire and they were touching.
something else to check now if ya coil is a bit funny.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:27 pm

Its a longshot, but before pulling the machine apart I would try a new battery lead to make sure that is A OK. Many a faulty machine has come down to intermittent faults in the lead.

Regards
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:32 pm

the noise is coming from the lead goin into the detector not from the battery.

just a few wiggles and it goes off like miley cyris..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:22 am

Gday Ray
For what it's worth I discovered years ago that the direction you wind the coil cable up the shaft makes a huge difference to these squeals. I wind it so that the cable ends up on the far side of the handle and then enters the detector box. This stops the cable coming in contact with your body on the middle/left hand part of your swing. Makes a truckload of difference.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next