Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minelab did the right thing

Go down

Minelab did the right thing Empty Minelab did the right thing

Post by Stingray Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:59 pm

Hi, my Mum has a 4500 that I have been using recently. It has this strange and very irritating fault that took a long time to actually work out. The machine would go totally unstable for a short time and cycle through an increasingly positive then negative ground signal.

Geez I chased some great signals out of the hole, into the dirt pile and everywhich way - then they just disappeared.

Anyway, we sent it back under warranty and it came back 'repaired'. As you know you can't test these machines in a city. When I could finally test it the fault was still there. The machine works great most of the time, but not when it was doing its thing. I worked out that the time between switching on, and the machine switching to this cycling mode, depenied on the charge in the battery. After many weeks I could predict when it would happen to within a couple of minues.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it is now 2 years out of warranty, but I sent it back again last week after calling the tech and sending them a video I took of the machine faulting - just as described when it was first returned.

It came back today and I just openned the box - they have replaced the entire PCB (printed circuit board) as a gesture of goodwill.

To Minelab's credit, they went above and beyond what I suppose they had to do legally, but they did the right thing in my book. Obviously I haven't tested it, but I guess they couldn't really do much more and I am hopeful it is now OK.

Anyway, I am very pleased in their reponse and wanted you to know about my positive experience.

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down