Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History.

+2
Bignuggs
picknshovel
6 posters

Go down

Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History. Empty Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History.

Post by picknshovel Sun 19 May 2013, 4:08 pm

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/coins-found-in-northern-territory-may-rewrite-australian-history/story-fn5fsgyc-1226646189425
picknshovel
picknshovel

Back to top Go down

Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History. Empty Re: Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History.

Post by Bignuggs Sun 19 May 2013, 5:08 pm

Interesting story and I don't like being a "knocker", I think there maybe more to this than meets the eye.
A search of the Australian National Archives can find no soldier with the name of Maurie (Maurice) Isenberg or Eisenberg.
There is a Ben Isenberg who was discharged in 1943 who never did time up Darwin way and a few Eisenbergs but, no Maurie or Maurice.
It's interesting and I hope we hear more about the coins. I love mysteries.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History. Empty Re: Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History.

Post by pilbarachad Sun 19 May 2013, 7:37 pm

Reminded me a bit of this. I first heard about it when doing the daily fish feeding at doctors gully in Darwin several years ago(worth doing if your ever in the area).

http://aquascene.com.au/history/discovery-of-the-shao-lau/

With thousands of kilometres of coast line who knows who else may have visited at different times????
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by carms Mon 20 May 2013, 5:51 am

washed up from a shipwreck im sure, amazing nobody has hit the place with a detector? is it off limits? this story will surely get one or two people interested enough to wonder the beach....having the indian shipping company coins as well is a strong indication that they arrived with the waves
my opinion of course
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by golden nipper Tue 21 May 2013, 7:14 pm

not related by aware of late 1700's french silver coin found on Gero beach after recent large swells
golden nipper
golden nipper

Back to top Go down

Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History. Empty Re: Coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian History

Post by albo Wed 22 May 2013, 9:14 am

thanks golden nipper , il look into that one when I make it back... eventually, cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:34 pm

I think there was a old portuguese rifle found off Darwin beach recently ie last 2 or so years. Was all brass from memory. Also where these coins were suppose to be found on the beach on the island a museum team is going there in the near future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

The north of Oz was in the direct route of what they called the "spice trade". What the f**k they had to trade here is anyones guess.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:45 pm

Bignuggs wrote:The north of Oz was in the direct route of what they called the "spice trade". What the f**k they had to trade here is anyones guess.

Most may have been blown off course or travelled to far east and missed Timor and Indonesian islands..
I think the dutch east indies compnay lost over 600 ships over a 300 year period of trading on all sea routes. ie roughly 2 ships a year.

Last edited by jitteryjim on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 03 Jun 2013, 10:02 am

Bignuggs wrote: What the f**k they had to trade here is anyones guess.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic and should have put a big lol! at the end of that statement Very Happy

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:39 pm

The guy was in the airforce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down