Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm Totally p*ssed Off

+11
aussie18
AussieAU
hoolahoopa
Narrawa
NuggieDreamer
sandgroper
Pebbles
UrbanFox
Moneybox
martinjsto
Bignuggs
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I'm Totally p*ssed Off - Page 2 Empty I'm Totally p*ssed Off

Post by Bignuggs Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

As you have probably seen, I've got a laptop for sale.
Why ?  coz I bought a new one.  I won't mention the make but Microsoft and Google are going to get a kick in the ar*e.
so here I have a new laptop, paid $900 for the BEEP, it's loaded with Windows 8.1 (I hate it) and it's got the i7 core, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD and good InVidia graphics.
Good for running all the software and downloads we sometimes use in our hobby and then some more I load in.
I failed on one point, it doesn't have a dedicated CD/DVD player burner, I forgot to check.  Shame on me.
But here's the bit that pisses me right off.  you can't work offline, yep you heard it.
when you first start up, it forces you to switch on the BEEP WiFi and login with a Gmail account.  WTF
Do Microsoft & Google now control the PROSPECTING world.
Time for a beer before I burst a blood vessel and then this piece of shite new laptop is going back to the retailer.
QUESTION:  does anyone know if I can load my windows7 into this piece of crap to over ride the window 8.1  ????

I'll add some more.  it refuses to recognize ya Gmail password for about the first 6 attempts.  the new laptop has a numerical keypad and the MOTHER doesn't work unless you press the Num Lock key all the BEEP time for each number you want to enter.

Last edited by oneday on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 6:20 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : added some more whingeing)

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

I'm Totally p*ssed Off - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm Totally p*ssed Off

Post by Bignuggs Sat 29 Nov 2014, 6:58 pm

Yep, ya all correct. it's going back to the shop. it's a piece of shite.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Sat 29 Nov 2014, 7:33 pm

Cliff: Can I make a little suggestion here? Have a look in your local rag under the “computer” section. I’m sure you’ll you will be able to find someone who will come to your place and help sort things out and at a very reasonable cost.
Installing a new HD with Windows 7 really is just stepping backwards. I know that I’ve already banged on a couple of times in this thread, but there is a simple workaround available until such time as you become comfortable with the newer Windows operating systems.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sat 29 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm

Chucking win7 on a PC built for 8-8.1...good luck with that. Laughing Laughing
It can be done, however you think your hurting now...id hate to be there while this is taking place. Razz Laughing

Better off to pay some geek to do the job...yet you maybe hard lucked to find someone silly enough to take the job on...its simply not worth doing now days, and many would shy away from such a perverted action. If it was me you bought it to, to have this done...id politely p!ss you off by telling you it would cost more than the price of the laptop. I know others who went through the same, only to be told it can't be done. Well it can be done...its just that no one really wants to go down this road. Laughing

Seriously tho...some of us grew up round this stuff...not me...i got my first pile of sh!t back in the late 80s...and from then on the fight has never ended....till now that is. Mind you, i have my old win7 PC sitting here in need of reformatting. And i dont mind saying im scared of what it is iv forgotten about these b@stard of things, and the way you had to go about reformatting. The latter things like this 8.1 Tablet/top.....can be reformatted in about 5min tops. And thats because it uses SSD for its Hdd which is only 64gig. Ay?...64gig...i remember when a 20meg was all the rage back in the day of DOS. Laughing  Laughing The following week a feken 40meg was the must have item of the day, and your grubby mate just rang telling you he's already got it loaded on his souped up 286 running windows 3.1.  Laughing  Laughing

Can you remember the day windows 95 hit the scene...ay?...wasn't that a feken rippa!! Very Happy
Can you also remember the first time you had to reformat the b@stard.?? What about when you decided to buy all the sh!t needed to build the dirty c***s and sell them for a profit. Laughing  Laughing

Whatabout that phone call late at night, your neighbors PC crashed, you know, the one you sold him a week ago to load all his clients on for the multi million dollar business he was running from his home office. bahahahahaah!!!phhhhhhhhark me i remember that sh!t well. Rolling Eyes

Years latter your at it again because you now have 4 kids to bring up to speed and educate because f***en schools now have them instead of feken black boards with chalk. Razz

What have i learned.???
Well...im older, im wiser, i dont give a fok about anybody else's PC....iv forgotten most of what i knew back in the boom years, my PCs work fine..i have three of my own and my missus has one thats failing...i dont give a stuff as long as mine are working... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sun 30 Nov 2014, 4:01 am

I got fed up with the constant problems on Windows machines years ago. I went out and bought myself an Apple Mackbook Pro and Sandra a Mackbook. We were told they just work. Well I have to say the conversion to Apple was a little frustrating but what a great machine and operating system.

These computers were bought in 2007 and Sandra is sitting there beside me now using it. It's never been to the doctor apart from needing a larger hard disk. It's life is over now though because it won't take the latest operating system.

I parked up my Mackbook Pro a couple of months back because I really needed a windows computer to run a CAD program and Geomap. The compatibility with many programs is always an issue on Apple but reliability is excellent. Luckily my computer guy gave  me a laptop on Windows 7 for $100.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 30 Nov 2014, 10:50 am

considering I have to use a bloody computer all day long at work, I can now understand why my employers stick with Windows 7. Mind you it's the professional version.
So here's the latest crap I'm seeing. it refuses to recognize my login password so I have to use a few versions of the password until it decides to let me in. That's the first bit that is driving me insane.
then it won't let you open the start menu which is an icon in the shape of a house (does the same as the windows 7 start icon).
it refuses to open google earth and has jammed everything so had to use the power off button and it took nearly 30 minutes to shut off.
I still reckon the bloody mcafee crap has something to do with it.
so once again I did a system restore this morning and it's currently working again but for how long I don't know but if it jams or shuts down again I'll shoot the bastard before it goes back to the shop.
as to why I bought a new laptop, coz with all the new software you need these days the old laptop was too slow but at least it worked with windows7.
so since 7.30 this morning I've been playing with the laptop again and what happens, it won't open google earth. so did an uninstall and reinstall and it's working but for how long until it stops again I'm buggered if I know.
and I think it also may have something to do with the maker of the laptop as my original desktop was made by the same mob and it was crap. In hindsight I should have got a new Toshiba but it was an extra $300 more for the same setup.
bugger it all, it's going back to the shop and I'll pay the extra and I better not get any crap from DSE.
10.30 Sunday morning, my bar is now open.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Nov 2014, 11:26 am

that little fridge in the lounge is really getting a work out.. lweg whgirt

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 Sun 30 Nov 2014, 11:46 am

yep brought me boy a $1000 Toshiba lap top, 3 weeks later in for warranty work. got in back last week 2 days later he walks out asking if the lappie still under warranty. yep sure is what's wrong? I just dropped it and smashed the screen!! AHHH that's not warranty mate that's another whole in me pocket
bloody puters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Nov 2014, 12:01 pm

cliff has one for sale--with bullet holes in it

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sun 30 Nov 2014, 1:06 pm

Before i upgraded to this thing im using now. Asus T100 tablet/PC combo running 8.1...i spent some time researching...as you do. I wanted small, portable, touch screen win 8.1, PC and tablet form, micro SD, USB 3 with HDMI flexibility to enable both larger screen viewing to either TV or monitor thats equipped with HDMI ports. Combo that with a 4 port USB3 hub that runs a couple of large Terabyte USB 3 HDDs and you have now got...a desktop PC. I lay in bed at night with it coupled to the telly via the HDMI cable watching movies using it as a remote. Laughing
The 10.1"  touch screen becomes the keyboard while i view the larger monitor for internet based happenings...how cools that.?

Talk about battery life...no need to turn the little bugger off, just throw it into sleep mode and its on as soon as i move it....instant on. To charge it, it uses the same USB mini port cable as my mobile phone doe's, and i can even charge the mobile off the keyboard USB3 port if the Micro port is being used to charge the tablet. Razz
The only thing it aint got that chafes my rs is...illuminated keypad. Rolling Eyes

Note, the large terabyte HDDs i use, are Toshiba... one is only a few weeks old, and is 2 terabytes, and was bought to back up the already failing 1 terabyte Toshiba bought at the beginning of the year. Rolling Eyes
The 500gig Seagate HDD that failed lasted nearly 2 yrs. The Western Digital Passport that i initially bought before the Seagate....lasted one night. It was taken back and shuved up their rs and replaced with the Seagate.

I now back up my most important stuff on 32gig micro SD cards, and put them away.

PS.When it come time for some friends of mine to update, they asked me what should they get giving they have similar usage patterns. Internet surfing, GPS napping, google earth, ect ect.
So i told them what it is i had and that its never given me a problem thus far. Cost around $600 with a few yrs extra warranty.

They bought a Toshiba 11" PC with win8 costing $1000, thats been back twice so far in less than 12mths.
Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sun 30 Nov 2014, 1:25 pm

That's a pity to hear all the bad reports on Toshiba. Apart from always being too heavy they used to be a very reliable machine.

My computer guy (the first one I've ever trusted) said that the best way to go is solid state drives. They are smaller, less power hungry and reportedly have a very long life.

I'd like to rebuild the old Macbook but the aluminium casing is too buckled and bent. It sits on the tabletop in the bus for weeks at a time and then we hit some unusual corrugations and it ends up on floor somewhere. I don't like HP but this little netbook is working really well so I might just get some upgrades and keep it until Windows 10 is proven. There won't be a Windows 9.

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanFox Sun 30 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

Narrawa wrote:Chucking win7 on a PC built for 8-8.1...good luck with that. Laughing Laughing

Narrawa, it appears you not aware of the fact that if you buy a computer sporting Win 8 Pro you have the option in the software to revert back to Win 7. There are no limitations in Win 7 that will stop it running on a new computer/new hardware, so I am not sure what you are on about.
UrbanFox
UrbanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sun 30 Nov 2014, 8:28 pm

UrbanFox wrote:
Narrawa wrote:Chucking win7 on a PC built for 8-8.1...good luck with that. Laughing Laughing

Narrawa, it appears you not aware of the fact that if you buy a computer sporting Win 8 Pro you have the option in the software to revert back to Win 7. There are no limitations in Win 7 that will stop it running on a new computer/new hardware, so I am not sure what you are on about.

Umm??...I was taking the p!ss mate, could you not see that in my posts.?
I did mention it could be done twice in the one post.??? scratch

However, if one takes the time to learn 8/8.1....there really isn't anything thats scary about the transition.

Im sure Cliff will get it sorted soon enough, that doesn't mean we cant be Aussies while he's having a dummy spit, and not take the p!ss a little. Razz  Laughing

PS, im thinking of ripping a copy of win8.1 from my tablet and loading it on my other two win7 PCs....why you ask.??...cause. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoopa Sun 30 Nov 2014, 8:57 pm

aussie18 wrote:yep brought me boy a $1000 Toshiba lap top, 3 weeks later in for warranty work. got in back last week 2 days later he walks out asking if the lappie still under warranty. yep sure is what's wrong? I just dropped it and smashed the screen!!  AHHH  that's not warranty mate that's another whole in me pocket
bloody puters

mate check your insurance for accidental damage will be cheaper than buying a new one

hoolahoopa

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 4:42 am

cheers hoolahoopa, me didn't think about that
I'm Totally p*ssed Off - Page 2 79175053

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 01 Dec 2014, 7:46 pm

The saga continues. Took it back to the shop this morning and after running for an hour it worked fine.
Left it with their so called technician and apparently no probs.
went back to lunchtime, used it for about 30 minutes and no probs.
so get home tonight after work and you guessed it.
the friggin thing jammed up again. so it's going back again and this time you will hear my shouting from timbuktoo.
I'm over this bull* and be warned, NEVER BUY ACER CRAP.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 01 Dec 2014, 8:00 pm

aussie18 wrote:yep brought me boy a $1000 Toshiba lap top, 3 weeks later in for warranty work. got in back last week 2 days later he walks out asking if the lappie still under warranty. yep sure is what's wrong? I just dropped it and smashed the screen!!  AHHH  that's not warranty mate that's another whole in me pocket
bloody puters

Hey Jase, I gotta a new laptop for sale if ya interested but it may have a few bullet holes in it I'm Totally p*ssed Off - Page 2 1472621687

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 02 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

The saga is finished. bloody computers.
A little bit of googling to check something out, make a change and away I'm going.
So much for bloody technicians, they could have told me there was an installed app that has never worked properly since it was invented and installed on new computers.
A mongrel thing called "Poki Start Menu", more like Poxxy start menu. Has been known since early 2011 and maybe earlier that is doesn't work correctly.
so a simple solution. F**K it off and download and install a thing called "classicshell". gives you the same start menu you get in Windows7.
So my new laptop has been running for 6 hours now and it hasn't jammed up once.
Probably voided the warranty but I don't give a fat rats.

cheers lweg

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 02 Dec 2014, 7:46 pm

yep the shop will probably reckon its modded and no longer under warranty, at least any software issues, as long as the back seal is intact then the hardware will prob still be covered. Im glad its working now and good luck from now on.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Thu 04 Dec 2014, 11:02 am

ClassicShell! Well I’ll be fagged, whoever would have thunk it?
PS: For those of you wondering what I’m on about, have a look at my posts of Nov 17, 18 & 29 in this thread.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:24 pm

Pebbles wrote:ClassicShell!  Well I’ll be fagged, whoever would have thunk it?
PS: For those of you wondering what I’m on about, have a look at my posts of Nov 17, 18 & 29 in this thread.

Col

lol! lol! mate if only they could read lol! lol!

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Thu 04 Dec 2014, 4:11 pm

Razz

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 05 Dec 2014, 9:45 pm

thanks for all the tips and hints but not once did I see anyone say the original start menu was faulty.  I maybe wrong but I doubt it,
So yes, classic shell is the way to go, but please tell us why.

PS. almost forgot, Ha f**king Ha

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sat 06 Dec 2014, 8:19 pm

not once did I see anyone say the original start menu was faulty.  I maybe wrong but I doubt it,
Something was faulty...but im not thinking it was the start menu. Razz

From the start screen, you can/could have clicked/tapped on the desktop icon/button to get you to the desktop.....from there you can/could have right clicked on the start button/symbol and from there you can/could have made the OS boot to the desktop instead of the start screen. No need for classic shell really. But i myself did not find this out till AFTER installing classic shell. Laughing
All the goodies you were use to in the win7 start button, are there in win8.1...you just had to right click on the start button to see them in raw form. From there you right click the item of interest to make it a desktop shortcut.

Win8 had no start button, but win 8.1 does, but it was not active like in win7 due to win8- 8.1 being more APP orientated. Microsoft heard the cries from win8 users and reinstated it back in win 8.1.

Now your up and running with your new lappy, you might want to head on over to the Acer website and update any firmware, utilities, drivers ect ect to the latest...or perhaps head on over to the Acer forums, look up your model to find out what its major issues are.?

The scariest bit is flashing the old Bios with a new version. Make sure you get it right as this is the section that controls pretty much how she functions. And if you f**k it up...you may brick it.  Shocked

The question that will haunt you now is......do i now need to update anything...or am i better off leaving well enough alone.? Razz Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:52 am

yes I could have just worked via the desktop apps but it defies the logic of having the Pokki start menu which does exactly the same which I preferred to use when it worked.
so now the poxy start menu is gone the new laptop works just fine.
was there something else I should have done ? good question but so far it appears the problem is fixed.
no more jamming and it is working faster.
so I have to think, if the Pokki start menu was known to have issues, then why do they install it.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:57 am

they done it to rattle yah cage and by all accounts it seems to have worked.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next