Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm Totally p*ssed Off

+11
aussie18
AussieAU
hoolahoopa
Narrawa
NuggieDreamer
sandgroper
Pebbles
UrbanFox
Moneybox
martinjsto
Bignuggs
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I'm Totally p*ssed Off Empty I'm Totally p*ssed Off

Post by Bignuggs Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:10 pm

As you have probably seen, I've got a laptop for sale.
Why ?  coz I bought a new one.  I won't mention the make but Microsoft and Google are going to get a kick in the ar*e.
so here I have a new laptop, paid $900 for the BEEP, it's loaded with Windows 8.1 (I hate it) and it's got the i7 core, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD and good InVidia graphics.
Good for running all the software and downloads we sometimes use in our hobby and then some more I load in.
I failed on one point, it doesn't have a dedicated CD/DVD player burner, I forgot to check.  Shame on me.
But here's the bit that pisses me right off.  you can't work offline, yep you heard it.
when you first start up, it forces you to switch on the BEEP WiFi and login with a Gmail account.  WTF
Do Microsoft & Google now control the PROSPECTING world.
Time for a beer before I burst a blood vessel and then this piece of shite new laptop is going back to the retailer.
QUESTION:  does anyone know if I can load my windows7 into this piece of crap to over ride the window 8.1  ????

I'll add some more.  it refuses to recognize ya Gmail password for about the first 6 attempts.  the new laptop has a numerical keypad and the MOTHER doesn't work unless you press the Num Lock key all the BEEP time for each number you want to enter.

Last edited by oneday on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 6:20 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : added some more whingeing)

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

I'm Totally p*ssed Off Empty Re: I'm Totally p*ssed Off

Post by martinjsto Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:24 pm

it would probably be able to load it but its all done on the hard drive now on another partition called recovery and that will only have win8.1, trhats what i am using and agree its no fun but now im use to it its ok i guess. they dont use CD's anymore so how will you load win7? anyway, you could possibly do it by network if you know someone savvy enough.
login must be set in users to login using gmail, i will ask Karen tonight about it but you should be able to use it whether connected to the internet or not.
i will get back to ya buddy, dont bust a pooper valve just yet lol...

cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:48 pm

there has to be a way of working offline but it won't let you get out of the login screen.
I've hit the button to get it back to factory resets and see what happens.
I can do without the CD/DVD player/burner as I transferred a lot via USB flash drive sticks.
I had all my John Wayne and Gary Cooper westerns loaded in hahahaha, just as well they were only copies so still got my cowdy movies to watch when out in the scrub.
better than listening to Uncle Ray giving my a lecture   Razz

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Mon 17 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

Cliff I was aware of the problems with Windows 8 because my computer guy is a friend and had warned me against it. His solution was to get a new computer and load W7.

I dropped in to see him before the last trip because I needed a Windows computer (not Mac) to load Geomap. He had a used HP netbook that he sold me for $100. I still want new but this thing is doing a great job for now.

The thing is he said there's no problem loading Windows 7 on a new laptop.

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanFox Mon 17 Nov 2014, 4:13 pm

Bignuggs wrote:... I have a new laptop, paid $900 for f**ker, it's loaded with Windows 8.1 (I hate it) and it's got the i7 core, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD and good InVidia graphics.

QUESTION:  does anyone know if I can load my windows7 into this piece of crap to over ride the window 8.1  ????

G'Day Bignuggs, Your new laptop will (I'm 99.9% certain) have the ability to boot off a USB flashdrive. A nerd can load Windows 7 on a flashdrive or a USB hard drive for you so you can boot off the USB drive and eradicate Win 8 and load Win 7.  You could do the same by booting off a USB DVD drive with a Win 7 install disk in the drive. Either way it will be necessary to go into the bios and set the Boot Device Priority to USB. Once you install Windows 7 you set the boot priority back to the internal Hard Drive.

Before starting the Win 7 installation you have the option to remove any hard drive partitions already on the [computer internal hard] drive.... such as the "Recovery" partition someone mentioned earlier. Once you delete the existing partitions you create a new partition on the [computer internal hard] drive into which you install Win 7. Windows 8 and it's recovery partition will not survive having the partitions deleted and a new partition created, so it is a non-reversible action unless you can extract the "recovery" partition files to an external data storage medium such as DVDs, portable hard drive, or flash drive before deleting the "Recovery" partition.

Last edited by UrbanFox on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
UrbanFox
UrbanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

NOW that cant be too hard..

u should have gone to work.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Mon 17 Nov 2014, 7:47 pm

Cliff:
About 12 months ago, I bought a notebook computer mainly for use with GeoMap. The computer was loaded with Windows 8 and I think that I am right in saying that all new computers will be loaded with Windows 8 or 8.1. Like you, I hated it and although I like to think that I am reasonably computer savvy, I struggled with the new operating system.

However, there is a very simple and effective workaround. There is free software called Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/). This software takes the Windows 8 Start Screen and converts it to the Windows 7 format that most of us are familiar (and comfortable) with. To all intents and purposes, it seems that you are working with Windows 7.

Two other points worth mentioning are that firstly, I think that you will be battling to find any laptop now with a CD/DVD drive. Secondly, not being able to work offline just doesn’t sound right. There is probably a couple of buttons that you haven’t pressed yet!

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by sandgroper Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm

Bignuggs wrote:As you have probably seen, I've got a laptop for sale.
Why ?  coz I bought a new one.  I won't mention the make but Microsoft and Google are going to get a kick in the ar*e.
so here I have a new laptop, paid $900 for the BEEP, it's loaded with Windows 8.1 (I hate it) and it's got the i7 core, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD and good InVidia graphics.
Good for running all the software and downloads we sometimes use in our hobby and then some more I load in.
I failed on one point, it doesn't have a dedicated CD/DVD player burner, I forgot to check.  Shame on me.
But here's the bit that pisses me right off.  you can't work offline, yep you heard it.
when you first start up, it forces you to switch on the BEEP WiFi and login with a Gmail account.  WTF
Do Microsoft & Google now control the PROSPECTING world.
Time for a beer before I burst a blood vessel and then this piece of shite new laptop is going back to the retailer.

I'll add some more.  it refuses to recognize ya Gmail password for about the first 6 attempts.  the new laptop has a numerical keypad and the MOTHER doesn't work unless you press the Num Lock key all the BEEP time for each number you want to enter.

Cliff I have an external DVD drive/ player/Burner, you just plug into your laptop/ desktop computer, you can borrow it any time you like, it's a good make, (Pioneer).
If you have any old floppy disks with info on them, I also have an external floppy disk drive, you can also borrow that anytime.
Derek
sandgroper
sandgroper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 5:46 am

I hear you Bignuggs, as I did the same as you, I bought a new laptop to replace my old one that was running windows 7, and couldnt get along with windows 8.1...

I found it hard to navigate and quite frankly I just wanted to get on with what I had to do and really could not be bothered to have to learn my way around it all over again afterusing windows 7 for so long, so back to the old machine for now and the new one went back to the shop.

Glad to hear about that classic shell software mentioned by Pebbles, had I known about that at the time I would have kept it and gone that way.

I went into a local retailer as to whether I could buy a new machine with windows 7, the sales girl looked down her nose at me and stated "we only sell the latest machines" and then yawned and gave me the look of "silly old fart" clown

So I left it at that and resigned myself to the fact that you simply have to move forward with the times or you get treated like an idiot, the only solution is to buy a new machine while your old one still works so that you can do what you have to do while you learn your way around the new one.

au-fever

Last edited by au-fever on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : now sober!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:54 am

Cliff:
I seem to recall that when I first fired up my laptop, it kept asking for a Wifi connection (I don’t have Wifi). Fortunately, my laptop also came with an Ethernet adapter and I was able to connect to the Net using a phone modem. Once I had connected to the Net, registered my copy of Windows with Microsoft and downloaded the latest Windows updates I had no more issues (well, not many).
Perhaps this is your problem also in that you haven’t been through the registration and update process?

Here are two other suggestions that you might like to consider. The first one I have already made above and that is to install Classic Shell. With this software installed, you can at least start using your new PC without trying to get your head around a new operating system as well.

I think Au-fever’s post pretty well sums up a lot of other peoples’ experiences with Windows 8.1!

Another suggestion I would make is to get yourself a wireless mouse. It is just so much easier to use than a laptop touch pad. The touch pad is more suited for use in the bush.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:57 am

I reckon they should never put Win8.1 on a Laptop without a touch screen (for what it was designed for).
But then, going back to an old version eventually has its pitfalls when no software is compatible with it and backup ceases in a few years.

Cliff, just keep using your MS button to get back to the startup desktop screen and click the start screen like Win7, to get out of the App style interface.
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:19 am

On the keyboard of your new laptop win 8.1, you'll have the windows button......from any screen push that key and you'll be instantly taken to the desktop.

The best way is to read how to make it permanent in the link below.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html

As mentioned above, move with the times or be left behind.....all the programs we use are moving with touchscreen apps and the latest Windows, so sending it back to the shop now is only going to make your transition harder when in time you will have no choice.
Best to start learning the inevitable.

I use both 7 and 8.1 daily...there's not much between them, so no real need to go back to 7 or duel boot just to have 7. That will only complicate things more as most of the new Laptops/Tablets are built with Win8-8.1 in mind. Win 7 may not go quietly with the hardware designed for 8-8.1, so finding compatible drivers will cause you grief. Its much easier to learn the new way, than to fiddle around trying to bring the old ways with you.

If there is anything your not sure about, you'll find the answer on the net. Simply type your problem in and you can almost guarantee someone else has typed the exact question having the same problem. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

Yep Agree Narrawa--
I think he has traded his ute in for a penny farthing again.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 18 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

oneday wrote:Yep Agree Narrawa--
I think he has traded his ute in for a penny farthing again.
regards
oneday

So says the man who can't load songs onto his ipod.

When I first turned on the new laptop, all I got was the mongrel login screen and use a gmail account. that was it and I couldn't get out of it.
Update: I did a factory reset, took about 4 hours to do it and bugger me, I get a whole new login screen. I can now work offline.
I still don't like 8.1 but I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Cheers for all the help and suggestions

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 18 Nov 2014, 6:02 pm

When you get it sorted, you can make it so there is no log-in screen....i have mine boot strait to the desktop.
The Win 8.1 PC/Tablet, takes a whopping 10sec to reach the desktop. My Win7 PC takes forever. Rolling Eyes

When in the START screen on your Win8.1 PC, you'll find a square called Help-Tips....give it a tap and fast track your learning.

If you dont have touch screen on your Win8.1, simply make a shortcut to the START screen on your desktop, saves stuffing around trying to get the mouse in the right spot to access the START screen. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:01 pm

I use a microsoft USB mini mouse with the laptops.  I hate them bloody swipe pads  Razz
Alls good so far with the new beaut machine.
but now I have another drama, I'm being tracked by google analytics via a mongrel thing called safeweb.
and it won't let me uninstall the f***ing thing   lol!
This is becoming a crap week    I'm Totally p*ssed Off 1472621687

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:17 pm

Safeweb is a part of Nortons is it not.?? From memory, its an APP add on that tells you the site is safe to visit.??

If iv got it wrong, Type into google..." how to remove safweb" and you'll be given instructions on how to go about its removal.

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoopa Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm

I too hated 8, 8.1 when i got my new lappy, now i would hate to go back to win 7. the best tip i got was to hold the windows button and press c. this brings up search options, settings and more. very easy to find what you want just by doing a search from there.

hoolahoopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 19 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

It now looks like the safeweb bull* came in with some Geo software I downloaded from the web to operate with google earth and a USB GPS gizmo I bought.
I tried some of the internet suggestions about getting rid of the safeweb tracker but none of them worked.
So, system restore to a point before the download and bugger me it's gone I hope, woooo hoooo
bloody computers I'm starting to hate the bloody things.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Nov 2014, 6:02 pm

tell us one thing that u like--god help us..

u r really showing yah age and ability---get with the flow for all our sake.

no wonder no one sits next to u at work--they all breath a sigh of relief when u don't turn up. lol!

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 19 Nov 2014, 6:44 pm

Raymond, ya just annoyed coz Fiona won't give you a photo of her.
and I don't blame her one bit   I'm Totally p*ssed Off 1632602647
She's a smart woman and not as dumb as she looks.  Next time I see her I'll tell her she was correct when  she called you a GOB   I'm Totally p*ssed Off 1472621687
She really meant you are a UOB lol!

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 29 Nov 2014, 4:48 pm

Now I am totally peed off.  God help anyone who annoys me this weekend   Razz
$900 worth of new laptop and it's stuffed already.  
I can't open any downloaded files. google earth won't open at all, the system keeps shutting down and refuses to recognize it.
Internet with WiFi connection to home network , no bloody way and if I do get internet connection I get firefox and IE trying to open at the same time. 
Windows 8.1, absolute crap but I got a suspicion the bloody installed Mcafee shite is jamming it.  I've been watching it an the mongrel outfit switches off and on and wants to update every bloody few seconds and nothing will work.  WTF  !  
I don't give a flying FIG about the warranty, a new hard drive is being installed with my Windows 7 and if that don't work, I'll be putting up a youtube vid showing a laptop being used for target practice   I'm Totally p*ssed Off 1632602647
I'm glad I stocked the fridge with beer, I'm gunna need it    I'm Totally p*ssed Off 1472621687

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU Sat 29 Nov 2014, 5:51 pm

Try this one, it's totally fool proof, and the only thing to jam up on it is maybe your fingers. Laughing
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71uQ8XA2K8L._SL1200_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Classic-Wooden-Abacus/dp/B00005BVRQ&h=214&w=235&tbnid=JvjtwOxN0lv0LM:&zoom=1&tbnh=160&tbnw=175&usg=__3YcCB2dzrRxFiupoQMmKzSY6i-U=&docid=S-KFQn3T8CVCVM&itg=1&ved=0CDQQyjc&ei=XJZ5VNT5AZfo8AWr6oEw

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by sandgroper Sat 29 Nov 2014, 5:54 pm

Bignuggs wrote:Now I am totally p*ssed off.  God help anyone who annoys me this weekend   Razz
$900 worth of new laptop and it's stuffed already.  
I can't open any downloaded files. google earth won't open at all, the system keeps shutting down and refuses to recognize it.
Internet with WiFi connection to home network , no bloody way and if I do get internet connection I get firefox and IE trying to open at the same time. 
Windows 8.1, absolute crap but I got a suspicion the bloody installed Mcafee shite is jamming it.  I've been watching it an the mongrel outfit switches off and on and wants to update every bloody few seconds and nothing will work.  WTF  !  
I don't give a flying F about the warranty, a new hard drive is being installed with my Windows 7 and if that don't work, I'll be putting up a youtube vid showing a laptop being used for target practice   I'm Totally p*ssed Off 1632602647
I'm glad I stocked the fridge with beer, I'm gunna need it    I'm Totally p*ssed Off 1472621687
Why don't you just take it back to the shop & let them sort it out??
sandgroper
sandgroper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov 2014, 5:56 pm

No matter how we try to help this old codger nothing works..

bugger me how hard is it..not-- lweg

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next