Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Target response/depth

3 posters

Go down

Target response/depth Empty Target response/depth

Post by toad Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:48 am

Do you get better target response and depth in moist soil or dry soil?
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Target response/depth Empty Re: Target response/depth

Post by mulgadansa Sun 21 Sep 2014, 11:03 am

Gday Toad
Long time no speak :) I try and stay out of the bush when it's wet, pain in the freckle. Did have some issues a couple of times with wet ground, the 4500 was going a bit mental. Couldn't really say why but I'm guessing it was using it in Fixed and moving between wet and dry earth that was the problem. As to depth and sensitivity I reckon dry is the go, at least everything is stable and you can hear well.
Where you hangin out these days?
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sun 21 Sep 2014, 1:31 pm

Ground type seems to make more difference in depth for me irrespective of Timing used.

However,
Digging in the mud with a pick or shovel SUCKS! (must feel sorry for them Vicco's)
Your pick magnet doesn't always pull iron out of the ground either help sort junk.
Humidity and electronics isn't a great idea either.
Usually the weather ends my weekend campaign early.
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:07 am

toad wrote:Do you get better target response and depth in moist soil or dry soil?

I have found that moisture content in the soil does have a lot to do with target response and depth, as much as heat and cold does, when the ground is damp its also cool so its close to being like detecting in the early cool hours of the morning or at night, and also I have found it to be better a couple of days after a good downpour when the water has had time to penetrate into the soil giving it an even dampness to a greater depth, and also it makes it easier to dig.

When the soil is newly wet and the water is just sitting puddled on the surface is the worst time to detect, apart from being sticky and messy and sticking to your coil, pick boots, the responses from the detector tend to be erratic and you get more spurious signals than you normally would leading to more digging and scratching about and more sticking of mud to your gear, Mad

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Mon 22 Sep 2014, 6:51 am

Au-fever that is my experience too.  Not wet soil but soil that still has some moisture in it seems to be best.  Absolutely dry hard soil seems to lessen the response resulting in less depth. Jmho
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down