Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

prospecting off a dirt bike

4 posters

Go down

prospecting off a dirt bike Empty prospecting off a dirt bike

Post by keithy george Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:05 am

gday all, i am just going thru the process of setting up my enduro bike to prospect off. so far i have removed the engine and gear box, rebuilt both, sand blasted and powder coated the frame, replaced the hubs, spokes, chain and sprockets.
also have added wicked little LED spot lights on the front instead of the old halogen globe headlight. Have put on some nice strong bars and barkbusters to bash my way thru the scrub. i was shooting off this bike for a while and still have the gun rack across the handle bars, would these be ok to stick the detector in or is there anybody that does something different. im just abit worried about crashing it with the detector across the handle bars.
any help would be appreciated!
cheers, Keithy

keithy george

Back to top Go down

prospecting off a dirt bike Empty Re: prospecting off a dirt bike

Post by purple-dragon Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:46 am

I use a 650 honda Kiethy without too many problems but the two detectors i carry go into large canvas saddle bags behing me-control boxs in one side coils in the other-the bags have heavy duty office style plastic bins in them for protection-had acouple of bag prangs in the bush no damage to the machines only me and my pride-dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by keithy george Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

onya purple dragon. i was looking at throwing some saddle bags on the big girl. might keep the rifle rack across the handle bars just incase. thanks mate!

keithy george

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Tue 08 Jul 2014, 8:06 pm

A detector on the bars would have the absolute proverbials shaken out of it, as well as bush catching leads would cause problems I reckon.
Strapping it to your back sorta vertical rifle style or in side saddles like the Purple Dragon and modern Eskimos on snow mobiles use I reckon would be the go.
Be careful mounting high wattage stuff on your bike as it can burn out a regulator or generator coil if not designed well

These guys have great ideas for offroad lighting and bike model compatability or mod info.

Baja Designs
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by keithy george Wed 09 Jul 2014, 5:20 am

Thanks for the link nuggie. The little lights on it are variable voltage (8-42v) and draw bugger all amps. Because I don't have a battery or bridge rectifier on the bike they flutter when at idle ( the normal halogen was just dull) but when the revs are bought up they stop fluttering. I have been toying with the idea of putting a solid hard plastic gun boot on the side of the bike to put the tecta in then strap the coil to my back pack. Thanks for the input lads!!
Keithy.

keithy george

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Thu 10 Jul 2014, 9:30 pm

Keithy it sounds like you need a fold up detector that will fit into your backpack. Perhaps a SDC2300 or Garrett ATX?

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by keithy george Fri 11 Jul 2014, 9:53 am

Very much so Phil... I'll give you my wife's number. Maybe you could convince her on a sdc2300!!

keithy george

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:17 pm

keithy george wrote:Very much so Phil... I'll give you my wife's number. Maybe you could convince her on a sdc2300!!

Perhaps you can just borrow one for the weekend and bring her home the gold... I know that would be enough to sway mine  Twisted Evil

This is only a small backpack but will easily hold the ATX. You could carry the accessories in the saddle bags.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Moneybox on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add a photo)

Back to top Go down

Post by keithy george Sat 12 Jul 2014, 5:50 am

That looks way to easy, I have a pretty big back pack that if I broke down the gpx it would all fit. Just the tops of the shafts would be sticking out the top. I've ordered an alloy rack that's mounted just behind the seat and comes out over the rear mudguard a bit to mount either a gun boot or saddle bags or both.

keithy george

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down