Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

postie bike

+6
rogawilco
Flouro
Biggest Kev
albo
martinjsto
Flying kiwi
10 posters

Go down

postie bike Empty postie bike

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 12 Feb 2014, 9:00 am

postie bike Bike11
picked up this bad boy yesterday, after some advise on making her gold field ready and any tips for carting around detector etc

im thinking,

box on the carrier for gear
slime in the tyres
gps mount on the handle bars

open to any tips advise from those who run one?

cheers Tom

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

postie bike Empty Re: postie bike

Post by martinjsto Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:00 am

i would put some shielding for your feet, hit a mulga root and it will go straight through a boot into your foot.  affraid 
water tank or bladder would be good sidesaddles for the gear rifle and gold, yeehaaa.  kwdf 
looks good
Martin
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:16 am

for carting purposes u have 2 options--
over the draw bar with a bit of reinforcement or
make a platform and ramp up and hitch it over the trailer itself usually over the wheels. (sits onto of the trailer) and that way u can pack gear underneath.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:37 pm

il try again Tom , great rig mate , but don't tell ya mates at the pub you ride one .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:41 pm

Nice bike Tom, was lookn at getn one myself but thought more shite to carry out bush. Where you going to put the bike when you take the camper trailer?

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:57 pm

a bit of reinforcing like ray says and mount one of these on the drawbar.

http://www.easymobilityco.com/versahaul_motorcycle_carriers.htm

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 12 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm

I don't run one , but on my quad iv found its handy to carry  a can of the pressure pack tyre repair pump up to get back to camp at least . albo
also on further study , I would not transport it as is , strapped down with the solid stand underneath ,it will cane it on corregated roads,  better to strap it down on the bikes own suspension Tom , just my view .

sorry mate just call me mr obvious.. albo

Last edited by albo on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 11:48 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : yep another boo boo)
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Wed 12 Feb 2014, 3:09 pm

Hi Tom,

What ever you do, don't put the detector in a box either on the front or back, they just get rattled to pieces

I just hook a strap on my detector and carry it over my shoulder

Did you get it at auction, what year and how much was she!!

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 12 Feb 2014, 3:55 pm

Hey good rig mate just takin the pis n that's what we are good for , good set up bro, n if ya need a a little steer on some areas .. will help...,you wont get no settings thisn that , but sure as eggs ill find the posi.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:24 pm

Yep kick the stand up and strap it on its on springs, that's what I do with my posty, well I sold mine for 800.
it does seem to show ya aint had many bikes on trailers. Not to worry that's what the crew are here for. Posty bikes are bullet proof but rough as guts in the bush. Like has been said , put ya M/L over ya shoulder and rest the shaft on padding through handle bars. Auctions in Perth that  "manheim" have every fortnite sell regoed posty bikes with reserve of 750, factor in fees and you will get a bullet proof bush basher for 800.
RW

Last edited by rogawilco on Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just the usuall speling mitsake)
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:40 pm

are good to see ya roga wilko ... also ... wheres Crusty Gus n , you ok mate ... just checkin I am , good blokes to have around
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:48 pm

out of order & deleted , albo  clown 

Last edited by albo on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:52 pm

Gday Tom
Have a gink at this link from another forum I watch http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t2612-i-am-buying-a-postie-bike-any-tips-or-ideas-on-this-from-users-would-be-helpful?highlight=postie+bike
Plenty of good info there.
I used a little 90cc suzuki back in the 70's for prospecting and looking for old bottles. Great little bit of gear and really easy to negotiate around the rocks and crap.
good luck.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm

Biggest Kev wrote:Nice bike Tom, was lookn at getn one myself but thought more shite to carry out bush. Where you going to put the bike when you take the camper trailer?

Cheers Kev

hey kev

have ordered myself a carrier that plugs into my reece hitch on the back of the cruiser, have also got a mount on the back of my camper trailer so should fit there to hopefully, but yea more shite to carry around  Mad  have been getting p*ssed off packing up camp with roof tent every day to trip around.

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:13 pm

albo wrote:I don't run one , but on my quad iv found its handy to carry  a can of the pressure pack tyre repair pump up to get back to camp at least . albo
also on further study , I would not transport it as is , strapped down with the solid stand underneath ,it will cane it on corregated roads,  better to strap it down on the bikes own suspension Tom , just my view .

sorry mate just call me mr obvious.. albo

cheers Albo will do that as you can see I aint got a fkn clue when it comes to motorbikes  QK;  ,

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:18 pm

rogawilco wrote:Yep kick the stand up and strap it on its on springs, that's what I do with my posty, well I sold mine for 800.
it does seem to show ya aint had many bikes on trailers. Not to worry that's what the crew are here for. Posty bikes are bullet proof but rough as guts in the bush. Like has been said , put ya M/L over ya shoulder and rest the shaft on padding through handle bars. Auctions in Perth that  "manheim" have every fortnite sell regoed posty bikes with reserve of 750, factor in fees and you will get a bullet proof bush basher for 800.
RW

thanks bro will give it a crack, I paid a grand for it seems to be what they go for its a newer and less kays than most I have seen around, like the idea of pottering around in first gear nice and slow  Very Happy 

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:22 pm

albo wrote:Hey good rig mate  just takin the pis  n that's what we are good for  , good set up bro, n if ya need a a little steer  on some areas .. will help...,you wont get  no settings thisn that , but sure as eggs  ill find  the posi.

all good mate  postie bike 3189625650  recon it will be a land based lifeboat for when me cruiser sh*ts itself in the middle of nowhere as it does on a regular basis.

cheers Tom

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Waypoint Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:26 pm

Hi Tom.
I run a CT 200 next size up from a postie good choice it got to be honda or it can be a long walk back to camp. Your set ups on the right track a couple of the mods I've done on top of the usual are a 12v compressor mounted under the rear rack, for when the air in a can runs out also a 12v out let for charging batteries on the go and good tip is to leave the cigarette lighter in it when not in use it keeps it clean and can be used to light a fire in an emergency.

Waypoint.
Waypoint
Waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:36 pm

Kapai bro,
A grand is a good price, bike looks in shmick nic too. you will cover sum ground on that, and I bet ya lookin forward to getting out there and playin with ya toys.
RW
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by Tributer Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:03 pm

Hi Tom I use a postie to detect. I put knobby tires on it and a smaller front sprocket to give it more low down torque for creeping up slopes.
The worst thing is red dust will completely fill your speedometer making it un-readable unless you completely seal up every hole in its base and put sealant where the glass front mounts in.
cheers Tributer
Tributer
Tributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:16 pm

geez with all the good ideas --surely u blokes have a photo or two..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 12 Feb 2014, 8:44 pm

Lots of posts on this. there used to be and I think they are still there, a mob who could turn it into a trike for ya.
I can't remember who they are but they are in the Naval Base WA area. google it.
a trike would be better than 2 wheels and some extra space for carrying.
take it or leave it.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:27 am

Posty bikes are great to use for prospecting but like all things you want to take some care and take it easy on the throttle, also knobby tyre are a must have, I warned a mate about his using his posty with standard tyres on it and lo and behold a couple of days after I went home he came a gutsa and badly damaged his leg forcing him to have to head for Meeka for treatment and then further treatment back in Perth.

I got some pretty tough tyres from eBay for mine, they are 6 ply knobbies, a size wider than standard tyres as well, and got some hd gel tubes as well, also I put slime in to cover all bases.

Like the idea mentioned about the small air compressor under the back rack, using a crate and one saddlebag to carry my gear, if you make a decent carrier for the detector with a support arm going out the back then you shouldn't have too many issues with it, I can see more damage being done to yourself or the detector if you carry it slung over your back.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down