Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED

+14
NuggieDreamer
Jack-Tar
Narrawa
albo
rocklobster
Nightjar
Inhere
AuHunter
martinjsto
fencejumper
araratgold
aussie18
Panther
Bignuggs
18 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED - Page 4 Empty Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED

Post by Bignuggs Sat 30 Nov 2013, 8:29 am

First topic message reminder :

This is bound to get some diehards talking but it grabbed my interest.  Now the ground in the vid clip is sandy but it's interesting to see how both machines compare.
Anyone know if this machine has been used on West Oz ground and how it compared with the 5000.

Last edited by Bignuggs on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED - Page 4 Empty Re: Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED

Post by Bignuggs Tue 10 Dec 2013, 6:39 pm

Here it is. The new offering from ML.

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-sdc-2300-metal-detector/?utm_source=Miners+Den+Australia+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d2dff12e84-SDC+2300&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5fdc2dfd06-d2dff12e84-20808257

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED - Page 4 Empty Re: Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED

Post by Jack-Tar Tue 10 Dec 2013, 7:17 pm

Oh come on you guys! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes You didn't really expect to go to the ATX unveiling and have them tell you how good the oppositions product is  Shocked ? In the video clip they mentioned on several occasions that they kept it fair by only using a DD coil. Yet in it's options there are mono coils available so why not do the test with them? Basically they dumbed the 5000 down to not work at it's optimum and then highlighted how the ATX out performed (what a joke). I've been to too many trade shows to see how the manufacturers of new products stage how well their gear works. The simple fact of the matter is that the 5000 is the benchmark THEY want to compare their machine to, so (in their words) "to keep it fair" they need to stand by their machine and compare it to other machines without dumbing them down. I have to admit that I tend to shy away from a product when I suspect that the claims have been set up. Smoke and mirrors?? Suspect 

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Tue 10 Dec 2013, 9:51 pm

Hey Craig,

Quite the contrary, the Garrett spokesman at the PP ATX Demo/Raffle Day never said his new company's machine is better than its opposition, rather to just let the machine prove itself among the treasure hunting anf prospecting peer groups around the world.

Everyone wants to see a challenger to the 5k to get Minelab to move to its next model I suppose. But I'm not sure about digging a 3mtr hole for a flyspec of gold.

CAT's little Demo was fun to watch, real 5K supporters where having a hard time believing his story about his Whites VLF picking up hot rocks with fly spec gold, even better than very experianced operators with their 5k's at the local caravan park! Its a shame there wasn't a better controlled test between machines organized.

Now, we seem to have a new ML to take on the ATX's qualities, lets see that match up.

Good on you Garrett bringing in some competition to finally keep a lid on value for money at least.

ND
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Wed 11 Dec 2013, 6:50 am

Hi ND,

He may not have said it at the PP ATX Demo but that is exactly what the company is saying when they compare it to the NF or any other machine. Like I stated, to make a machine under-perform and then compare it against their new ATX is in my opinion not comparing apples with apples. You said it yourself "Its a shame there wasn't a better controlled test between machines organized." It's more than just a shame, it is underhanded. And that sort of promotion makes me suspicious and I generally take very little notice of the results. But I suppose there are those that will be taken in by the flashing lights and the hype so the ATX advertising objective may be achieved.
This is just my opinion and I'm sure that not all agree. I hope the ATX performs well and I will be looking forward to some real time feedback from those in the goldfields but until then all we can go on is that they had to make a great machine under perform to show how good their machine is.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 11 Dec 2013, 7:44 am

the problem they have is how do you do the test in that location with the minelab?. I think we all agree you cannot compare the performance unless you are out there real time detecting and get a signal with one then test with the other. undisturbed and hot as hell ground ground away from interference of any type, then you have a fair comparison. I dont think Jamie wanted the 5k out for comparison due to this reason, he knew it couldn't be done fairly in that location, but IMO the 5k should find most of those species as the page 3 pic shows it can, just not in Perth and only if you have to have it setup correctly.
the SDC2300 is placed below the GPX and above the Eureka Gold. I guess this is where Minelab believes the ATX should be.
at least there is movement in the detecting world, that has to be good for us eh.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:05 pm

I don't live over there, so I don't know but a guy posted this on finders

"You dont have to go far just through Kalamunda to Pickering Brook to get some mean ground.
Ideal for giving you an idea of the performance of"

What I do know is, you learn nothing about the detectors with bullschit, set up tests.

................You do learn something about the people who set them up, though.  Rolling Eyes 
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

that goes for any detector..its the so called guru behind the machines that will either make it sing or do the cha-cha.

everyone is different to a certain extent

I can put u onto some crab hole country in between gold bearing country and ya machine will let u know who is boss.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by UTBN Wed 11 Dec 2013, 6:53 pm

The fella at the demo did say if the Garret's not equal with the 5 it in fact would be better. He also mentioned he found a 22 projectile at a depth of 600 ml. If that is true then that has the 5 dead and buried to be honest. But that's to be proven isn't it! I can find a 1 grammer at a foot depth which surprises me to the ability of the 5 maybe others can extract more outta the 5 but I'm happy with that.
The garret does need to be tested thoroughly in the field as it's a newcomer and it is bout time minelab are being challenged. Us prospectors can only win from it and I hope they do take it right up to minelab.

UTBN

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Wed 11 Dec 2013, 9:14 pm

It looks like things are going to get interesting over the next little while. Most of the discussion is about the Garrett proving itself against the 5000 and the 'appropriateness' or otherwise of using it in DD mode etc.

Given that the Garrett seems to come in essentially one configuration (give or take) and the Minelab has heaps of configurations, perhaps the shoe should be on the other foot? I would be keen to see someone demonstrate that the Minelab is 'better' in typical WA conditions.

That shouldn't be too hard should it?...

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Wed 11 Dec 2013, 9:39 pm

The ATX didn't go to well at Talbot in Vic, in the hot ground there it couldn't find a couple of small bits of gold
and was not even able to hit some of the bullet leads, that a 5000 found.

They say the guy who owned it was not very happy at all.

BTW. had to use a gain of 6 down there!

Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by codgerwa Thu 12 Dec 2013, 11:10 am

I went to the ATX demo on sunday & was impressed that the Garret worked pretty well in the conditions of a built up area. I will be sitting on the fence to see what happens in the near future. The Garret people told me that the Base model with one coil will cost around $3300.00, The extra 20in mono coil pack will cost aprox $500 extra, with the 8in mono coil extra again up to a total of aprox $4000.00 with the full package of 3 coils. The headphones have a special plug fitting of their own, but they do come with an adaptor so that you can use your own headphones.
All in all it sounds like it may be a good thing as it is aimed at gold first & coin/treasure second whereas the CTX 3030 is aimed at the coin/treasure market first with it not so good on gold under 2-3 grams. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the ATX in the near future.

PS. They said that hot conditions will not affect performance. Cheers codgerwa. (Steve)

codgerwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Dec 2013, 11:54 am

Hi Steve,
Hot conditions--is that the weather or hot rocks or high iron content in the soil?

The only thing giving us a run for our money last night was the lightning about 80-100 ks away and the spikes in the ground.

Still didn't find anything after a couple of hours..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by codgerwa Thu 12 Dec 2013, 4:29 pm

Hi O.D.MON, That is in temperature of the soil & ambiant air temp. Right from the XD 2000 when the air temp got to over about 35 degrees there is a gradual drop in the performance of the detector right through to the 5000. In Cue a few years ago, (4500 days) I was on a nice little patch on a nice 24 deg day. The next day went up to just under 40 deg & I didn't find too much. When it had cooled down 2 days later I went back over my chain marks & found quite a few nuggets that I hadn't heard on that hot day. I have done this a couple of times with the 5000 as well. I also remember days with my 2100 & Extreme when I was on a patch & then a hot day came along & the gold dried up. I don't think I related it to the temperature then. I did ring up Minelab & they confirmed that high temps will effect the detector.

codgerwa. (Steve)

codgerwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Dec 2013, 5:00 pm

that will give me the excuse not to go out on 45.c day--nights get down to 31c so might throw on the worklight and have a go--then again we might just sit back and enjoy another beer..

last night we seen 2 deaf adders only a foot long but they were snakes.

we get high when the sun goes down--

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 12 Dec 2013, 6:38 pm

oneday monday wrote:

last night we seen 2 deaf adders only a foot long but they were snakes.

regards
oneday

If they were deaf they wouldn't have heard ya    Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED - Page 4 3179412840     cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codgerwa Thu 12 Dec 2013, 10:25 pm

I take it that you are still in the Karratha or Pilbara area then, with death adders around.
Steve.

codgerwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Dec 2013, 6:21 am

yeah Steve--no where else to go--and it hasn't rained.. so the dry blower is still trying to find gold.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Dec 2013, 7:46 pm

geez the yanks are now under cutting the Australian market of the ATX by up to $400 delivered to our great land inc GST--why would u want to b a Garret dealer if the head office in the states allows that sort of carry on.

allow for advertising, promotions etc and the margin is quickly eroded away--ahh the beauty of small business.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 21 Dec 2013, 8:04 pm

It's about to get interesting. Garrett are definitely chasing for some of the Oz detecting sales market.
Will the ATX stack up to all their hype ? who knows.
But I think it's on for young and old as the saying goes.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Dec 2013, 8:08 pm

geez we have a heap of burnt country and some is very good gold country for them to have a play in and do comparisons if they r genuine testers.

Call me any time.

the lightning strikes and the consequent fires must have burnt out about 50k acres.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Dec 2013, 5:02 am

Is it possible to actually find someone who has bought an ATX?
There have been gazillions of words written about it lately but NONE from someone who owns one as far as I know.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Sun 22 Dec 2013, 8:27 am

There are a heap of videos on the ATX now. Just watch one and there is a heap more waiting to be watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9e7y04JAIs

ATX Forumhttp://www.findmall.com/list.php?96 on 'Finds'

Great little vid showing 'setup'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-1tmJhA9zY#t=160

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold Sun 22 Dec 2013, 12:58 pm

Panther wrote:There are a heap of videos on the ATX now. Just watch one and there is a heap more waiting to be watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9e7y04JAIs

ATX Forumhttp://www.findmall.com/list.php?96 on 'Finds'

Great little vid showing 'setup'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-1tmJhA9zY#t=160

Unfortunately Panther the only thing these videos prove is that the ATX is OK on small shallow gold in quiet ground  ( and so is the VLF Gold Bug 2 ) !.
I've heard a few whispers so far that it doesn't come within a bulls roar of a 5000 in deep noisy ground. I for one won't be rushing out to buy one   Wink !
Cheers,
Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Mon 23 Dec 2013, 6:27 am

I don't believe in whispers or rumours. Could be very biased, but I don't rush in either. I am still interested. I make up my own mind from research etc. Time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Dec 2013, 6:50 am

there are a few members on the forum with ATX on their profile yet they don't bother to contribute to whether she's a goer --

the silence is deafening

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next