Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett ATX

+3
fencejumper
martinjsto
Nosralt
7 posters

Go down

Garrett ATX Empty Garrett ATX

Post by Nosralt Wed 11 Sep 2013, 7:40 pm

Have a look at the new Garrett attempt at a PI machine..  mmmm think I'll stick with my 5000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQEubb0LmY&list=UUrDAu6JPiwwVjpRY9W4Y5_A&feature=player_embedded
Nosralt
Nosralt

Back to top Go down

Garrett ATX Empty Re: Garrett ATX

Post by martinjsto Wed 06 Nov 2013, 3:18 pm

I am also considering buying a new machine soon and looked at the ATX. the hype is saying it will match or exceed the 5000 capabilities and has the bonus of the waterproof protection, not necessary in the goldfields as a whole but good for off season beach hunting. I currently loan or hire a 5000 and am getting use to the settings etc but the $2000 plus savings is tempting and will buy a great detector for my wife. I am considering a XP DEUS for her as it weight only 1 kg, is fully wireless and is adjustable to any position. is anyone aware of this machine and whats your recommendations on this subject as a whole with the new release of the ATX? the Deus is being promoted along with the ATX at the local midland prospecting shop, they say the ATX is better than the 5000???? so much to consider and a lot to spend, want to do it right first time.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:51 pm

I don't think the atx is suppose to be better than the 5k, it's suppose to be another mid price p.i for those that don't want to spend $5500.
the people that are saying that it's suppose to better than a 5k are just wishing it is. no one has done proper comparisons against any minelab in aussie soils yet
the xp deus is a flop in our soils, way over priced for a single frequancy vlf.
there are cheaper vlf's that do a better job on aussie ground like whites
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:31 pm

thanks fencejumper,
looks like more research required. I am partial to the 5000 and recent results i have achieved from hire machines says it would be worth the extra investment.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:43 pm

mate the 5k are worth the extra alright,
but the 4000/4500 are still finding good gold if you don't want to spend too much
you can pick up a good 4000 for $3000-$3500 depending on the extra's
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk 51 Mon 30 Dec 2013, 12:33 pm

This will require a lot of research to make up my mind what to buy next year.The Garrett sounds good but the 5000 has a proven record.I would like more feedback on the Garrett.

Hawk 51

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Mon 30 Dec 2013, 3:47 pm

Hi guys,
If this new Garrett machine does what they say it can do,, I will be buying one.
Clearly no-one or at least not many folk have purchased one "yet". I may try to hire one at first. It will be very hard for ML to come out with the features like this new Garrett ,and compete with price, which in my opinion is a lot cheaper, a hell of a lot cheaper. If I had just recently bought a ML machine or still owned my gp3500 I doubt I would have fetched the price I did for it if the ATX was out at the time. So Its quite understandable why most ML diehards are expressing their loyalty to the Aussie made machine. Don't knock it till ya try it.
On my old 3500 it has an iron discrimination dial and manual tune dial, which in my time of using it found them too be absolutely useless. Had bought the subject up on the forum this year and the guys that have owned a 3500 or still use one have commented that these ML functions just don't work also.
I like the iron check function in particular.
Any bites.hehe
RW
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Dec 2013, 4:20 pm

we r yet to hear from any ATX owners who have done comparisons with their mates using other type of detectors.

I don't think u would go too far wrong if u hired one for a week and see what it can do and cant.

If I was goin to buy a car I would certainly go for a test ride.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Mon 30 Dec 2013, 4:39 pm

Cheers oneday,
Too right mate. Hopefully we will be able to hire the new Garrett soon.
There are pros and cons with all machines and not all detectors of the same make and model perform identically, for many reasons.
One issue I can see with the ATX is ,hhhmmm how do I explain this.
When we put our ML down on the ground it rests on the back side of the coil, then when we go to pick it up again to check targets often need to step on the back of the coil to level it, which is a nuisance. The ATX have avoided this with the hinge/heel type setup, but I wonder if when the detector is put on the ground, after time ,wear and tear etc this will scuff and damage the hinge?. Looks like it could do with a guard or stand/shield type setup on it to protect it.
RW
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Sun 12 Jan 2014, 10:43 pm

First batch sold out, next batch not here till Feb, haven't even read a decent independent review yet. Distributers reckon need to order early if ya want one this season. Stuff that, I like to see, touch and feel a product if im thinking of spending that much . Possibly a reason why used ML's are selling a bit cheaper at the moment. Garrett cant make em quick enough at the moment.
RW
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 14 Jan 2014, 7:13 pm

There in lies the problem.  when supply can't meet demand, quality goes down the drain.

Last edited by Bignuggs on Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:00 pm

yeah I reckon Bignuggs,
I would like to think they are carefully hand assembled , and not made in a sweatshop type set-up. Just have to watch this space I guess.
RW
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 13 Jun 2014, 6:07 am

Well we've taken the plunge. There's so much Holden v Ford type bull going on you just have to ignore much of it. Apart from that there's all the knocking going on for a machine that few have seen so the Garratt has obviously got something going for it.

In the end we just had to go with the best facts we could get.
I really wanted the SDC2300 for its compact convenience and waterproof design but it was not available and we are already on the road.
The Garrett sprung to mind as an old reliable name in detectors so I took a look. I saw people knocking the massive weight. Well at 100g more I guess that could be a back breaker?
Then I talked to the dealers. Each was bad mouthing the others machine (not a good move it you want to be trusted) rather than promoting the advantages of their own. I had to dismiss most of what I was told and go back to Google. We know we can rely on the internet for facts right?

What it came down to was that the Garrett had some of the features that attracted me to the SDC2300, it was available, it came with interchangeable coils, it was somewhat proven, it used AA rechargeable batteries like my other devices and than the desiding factor.

We are not young kids looking a new gadget to fiddle with. I see so many comments from you guys on the importance of learning machine setup. It appeared to me that the Garrett was point and shoot. Very little to fiddle with to go out and find gold.

In the end we're not interested in the frustration of trying to get to learn the complicated setup of the machine. We are looking for a relaxing time in the bush looking for gold and the Garrett ATX ticked the most boxes. qwk;ec 

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:43 am

Good on you Phil, please keep us up to date on how it works for you, if you get up to Meeka, Cue etc. I'm in the same boat, and people seem to be rusted on to one brand or another
Cheers
Peter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jun 2014, 8:03 am

its good to see u do some research Phil..at the end of the day its what u want and the biggest bang for your buck..

unfortunately like most modern day cars , detectors are governed by computers-micro compressors etc and its this part of the internals that drives them and what u pay for--

I dont sell garrets and i usually tell my customers to find a garret dealer if they r that way inclined..mind u I have only ever had 1 fella ask me about garret...so its horses for courses and what ever sets yah sail.

i'm sure the atx will find u gold

good luck and happy digging.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down