Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000

+19
thedigger
purple-dragon
Wedge
AuHunter
CrazyPete
Narrawa
wandwaver
martinjsto
feverpitch
carms
albo
Jonathan Porter
Bignuggs
decanfrost
driller
pilbarachad
Flying kiwi
UTBN
Biggest Kev
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000 - Page 3 Empty 60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000

Post by Guest Sat 31 Aug 2013, 8:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Here's our story of woe from this years operations. This patch was originally found about three years ago when we heard about it. It was on company ground but we decided to apply for a Special Prospecting Licence and give it a good pushing. Of the 60 ounces found by the orginal finder, very few of the species could be heard with a ML 5000. 95% of the gold was found with a Whites GM2. These White's machines are not pulse induction. They belong to the "outmoded" (?) VLF type of detector.

We knew of this phenomenon so we bought a Whites for the job. After getting the SPL and all the permits from the DMP and DIA, we pushed in 4 spots to a depth of 400mm,,,,,,,,,and came up empty on every scrape. After this disappointment we decided we'd "surf the surface" with the Whites. With this we found 8 species,,,,,,,,,only one of which could be heard with a ML4500/5000 when tested. All the species were on the top when found and all screamed at me with the Whites.

Not one specie was under the surface. They were all sunbaking, but the ML machines went clean over the top of 'em. All were very well rounded and worn. As you can see, the gold was extremely fine and this is the reason that an ML Pulse Induction machine can't "see" it. More with the next photos.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Back to top Go down

60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000 - Page 3 Empty Re: 60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000

Post by Bignuggs Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm

don't use a booster, I've never needed one once I'm in the zone or spaced out and listening.  Headphones on and away I go.
If anyone ever snuck up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder, I'd be jumpin outa my skin   lol!
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000 - Page 3 Empty Re: 60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jan 2014, 8:36 pm

I reckon the gold bug 2 wouldn't miss too much and would love to put it to the test this year--well that's what we intend doing..just to see how she does go in areas that have had reef gold especially..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:24 pm

the gold bug2 really surprised me one year Ray , we found a small area that had some prickly nuggs & lots & lots of miniscule bits as well , only armed at the time with extremes & 8 inch coils we thought we did a fair clean up , anyway on route some time after a bloke I was doing another trip with in that area asked if he could give his gb2 a go over it , so over we went . This bloke just stayed in the same spot for half a day , not even a step just picking up bits , tiniest little bits , one after another like picking up 5 dollar notes , total 1 oz in 4 hrs .... jeez that's a weeks pay in half a day , the ground was noisy as well , the gb2 has its place for sure . there were other threads on this with species , visible gold that the 5000 wouldn't pick up which I doubted , anyway for the tiny crumbs they work & its worthwhile . ps well done Nullagine Scotty on that effort!
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:30 pm

old Graham -- the nullagine weasel as he is known uses one as well and trust me there aint nothing left no matter in which direction or coil u want to through at the ground.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm

Funny you should say that Albo bout the prickly stuff  Wink 
ive always had a thought  Razz Razz  rare i know haha but about the prickly gear
and the high frequency gear 71khz GB 2 mainly.
If we looked under a microscope at that prickly gold it shows thorns of gold sorta
pricking out at all weird lengths and angles  scratch scratch 
and the solid guts within  60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000 - Page 3 452991977 
Allways had a thought that the VLF's read the gold "however miniscule" in a 3D
sorta window if that makes sense  scratch Cool 
Sorta like the VLF not only sees and reacts to the nearest metallic object "ie" the prickly long bits
but also sees the actual length or sides of them and then includes the solid guts of the nug
so it gives off a solid hit on the whole thing, even if its 0.1 at 6" with a GB2 as ive found plenty
of the old wheat like that  scratch scratch scratch  Dunno but i'll never right off the VLF ever  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

BFO  Razz Razz  thats another story  Razz Cool

Whats your thought Narrawa  Wink  and can i buy your whites yet  cheers Razz Razz Razz
Ay! when ya due back here fella  Laughing  i hear the specking patch is the G effen O  Razz  Razz  Razz
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedge Mon 07 Jul 2014, 4:26 pm

Interesting thread. A couple of points about how detectors work:

Jonathan Porter wrote:I think you guys need to also think about 'Time constants', if a target loses its Eddie current before the switch on can receive it the detector will be blind to it. If you want to ignore mineralization you need to have the switch on time happen after the ground noise has dissipated; this is the true reason why some speci's fall into a PIs blind spot, the target signal dissipates away in around the same time frame as the ground signal does.

JP

The "listening switch on time" on a mono equipped PI detector is determined by the time constant of the coil. This is affected by the inductance (basically the number of turns of wire) of the coil and also the inter-winding capacitance. More inductance is good for depth as it creates a stronger transmit field and is also able to pick up weaker signals (i.e. from deep targets), but it reduces sensitivity to small targets which decay quickly (this is different to weak targets). Litz wire reduces inter-winding capacitance so it makes the trannsmit signal decay faster and improves sensitivity as well. If you want to ignore mineralization you use a combination of transmit timing (that "energizes" the mineralization less) and ground balance (that cancels the ground signal during the listening window.)

I have tested some coils (Minelab, Coiltek, Nugget Finder and Nugget Tech) and the factory Minelabs have the lowest inductance. I only tested coils 11 inches and larger. I guess the aftermarket brands are trying to get more depth, at the cost of sensitivity.

Wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedge Mon 07 Jul 2014, 4:46 pm

Narrawa wrote:
......... I did this and this seemed to work well and then I found small pieces, one at 0.07g 3 inches down. whats your thought on using the higher range over the lower and what difference does frequency make?
thanks for the advice
Martin
Iv played with this over the years and have never been able to convince myself of any benefit from the hundreds/thousands of undug targets in which i tested it over. I think its more of a "feel good" setting, sure on  occasions the auto-tune may get it wrong, but to say the detector is able to hear nuggets from one tune decimal to the next would mean the detector has one hell of a flaw. Say for instance you never touch the manual tune, and only ever operate where the auto tune pulls up, could you be that unlucky it pulls up on a freq that nuggets dont signal on.?? Sounds corny doesn't it?...but thats whats being suggested.

I wouldn't get into the rut of thinking you must have it set on a certain number, or someone will come along and  burst your bubble and show you the error of your way. Iv seen it and the operator will put up with a detector thats as noisy as hell, rather than listen to reason because they believe without a doubt, its gospel.

The auto tune takes about 60sec to perform a function the inverter thought had merit. It takes time to write the program and factor in alot of what we dont understand about the regime. Id hazard a guess and say in the programing there is a set of Ones and Zeros thats factor in this very scenario and allow the detector full detection capabilities through the setting 0-255. While the number scale appears large, the frequency swing from memory is very small. A pointless function if it did discriminate on certain frequencies.  

At the end of the day....if you feel it makes you a better operator...let no one tell you different.

PS. When the auto tune function has been initiated, a detector in range is effected, this tells you the tx side of the function is also being shifted. Does the shifting tx freq return to its set value at the end of its cycle, or does it lock in with the rx.? Laughing Razz

Minelab have done a very poor job of explaining what all the settings do.

A PI detector works by transmitting a series of pulses. The tune frequency affects how far apart the pulses are. It does not affect the length or amplitude of the transmit pulse (which determines ground penetration). It would not be very good if the transmit pulses coincided with the frquency of background radio signals, because they would make it very hard to listen for the return signal from a target. So it's best to space the transmit pulses so they don't coincide with any background radio signals from transmission towers, HV mining equipment, OTHER DETECTORS, etc.. Auto-tune works by listening to the background noise received by the coil over the range of possible frequencies and selecting the quietest one (during the short time the auto-tune takes.) It works well for man-made sources but doesn't work for random natural sources like solar activity.

Wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Mon 07 Jul 2014, 6:27 pm

Auto-tune works by listening to the background noise received by the coil over the range of possible frequencies and selecting the quietest one (during the short time the auto-tune takes.) It works well for man-made sources but doesn't work for random natural sources like solar activity.
Problem with the auto tune feature is.....man made EMI does not communicate with our detectors and let them know that their about to shift. Thus, alerting the detector to search again as now the tx freq of the source has shifted since the human activated the sequence. At this time, the detector has already locked in on what it feels to be the better freq for operation. Man made interference is just as uncontrollable as natural EMI......meaning, you can push the button till your blue in the face, and the fence emitting the EMI will not take pity on you, nor your detector. You can if you like, move away from the fence tho. Laughing 

Still, the auto tune has a far better chance of capturing the quietest frequency, than man does. scratch
Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon Tue 08 Jul 2014, 10:42 am

Thats brilliant Cat i have two 15000 vlf`s in the shed that pur like kittens-I will be taking them out with me on the next trip now -thanks for the tip-Dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by thedigger Tue 08 Jul 2014, 7:39 pm

.The problem that PI do not see the object is the different metals in the gold .
I have waved a piece 14kt 1.4mm thick and the minelab detector hardly see it.

The digger

Last edited by thedigger on Tue 08 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Image will not post)

thedigger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Jul 2014, 7:45 pm

Hi Digger

Theres a difference between hardly seeing something and not detecting it what so ever..just like the piece of gold from Kal that I was sent from a member--the GPX --pi machines didn't detect it--zilch-nothing yet the Eureka gold and the GB2 both screamed at it.
The 2300 did pick it up

this test piece is porous and that's another reason some machines don't detect all forms of gold.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by thedigger Tue 08 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm

Hi Oneday
You can test what I say by testing with a piece of 9kt jewerly,but do not use a ring,but a piece that will not allow a ringing effect.
I tried to post a copy of Eric Fosters orignal piece on the subject that I had a copy off,he explains that when he was at the Archaeological reseach labority he did some test on a PI with a set of gold standards>this was a set of identical size and thickness ,but varied in steps of 10% from pure 24k to either pure copper or pure silver.Using a 8 inch coil,the 24k sample was deteced at 7.5 inches,the next sample was 90% gold and 10% silver,the range dropped to 3 inches 80% gold 20% silver,it dropped to 2.25 inches.
Take lead shot it is a very poor conductor,about 1/3th that of gold,and 1/5th of silver,and yet the response is very good because it is not alloyed with any other metals.
Over in the west you can get a lot gold that has mixture of other metals,so this where your problem lies.
I have done a lot of testing with varies kind of metals for building coils to see if you could get any improvement in perfomance,made one out of pure silver wire,drawed it down to 0.15mm,18inches round,took 9 ounces of pure silver.

I hope this helps
Regards Thedigger

thedigger

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon Tue 05 Aug 2014, 12:40 pm

I heading north for a week and after reading this I`m going out to the shed to find my old 15000 ,and i have a white 6000d out there somewhere as well-one person four machines I will be busy-dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU Tue 05 Aug 2014, 7:37 pm

thedigger wrote:
,made one out of pure silver wire,drawed it down to 0.15mm,18inches round,took 9 ounces of pure silver.

I hope this helps
Regards Thedigger

Damn that is one heavy coil,  affraid  but how did it perform.

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by thedigger Wed 20 Aug 2014, 8:07 pm

Hi Aussie
The weight of silver coil would only be about another 1.5 ounces.
There was not mark improvement in performance in the silver coil.
another thing about coils that would surprise every one about the amount wire in coils,from 8 inch to 18 inch there is only about an extra
4.5 meters.and yet they ask a large amount money for them.
I have built coils from 5 inch to 36 inches

Regards Frank

thedigger

Back to top Go down

Post by Since1981 Sun 07 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm

Hmmm. Might have to dust off the old garrett groundhog and step back in time ...
Since1981
Since1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiewa Tue 28 Oct 2014, 6:07 pm

Found this video 6 grammer found with XP Deus detector, impressed.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

60 ounces missed by ML4500 and 5000 - Page 3 Empty Re: Missed Gold

Post by Steady Eddie Tue 09 Dec 2014, 10:45 am

Guest wrote:
scotgold wrote:This thread could not have come at a better time for me.
I've been looking at the best detector to take on a short trip. I have two available either a White's Goldmaster 3 or a Minelab i-trak. The alternative is to rent one of the Minelab GPX models. Suggestions please?
Scotty,

The ML E-Track is a treasure hunting machine. It's not a prospecting machine as is the SD/GPX series or the Whites. Although the Whites, being a VLF is good for treasure hunting. How good the E-Track would handle the ubiqitious iron mineralisation in the WA Goldfields, I wouldn't know as I've never tried one out there. An E-Track wouldn't be my choice by a long way, unless I was in the local park looking for coins.

I'd go the GPX 5000 if cost isn't an issue but they do take some handling if you've never used one before. However, the ML manuals are very good and the factory pre-sets will get you 90% of the gold - if it's there. If the Whites comes to you at no cost and you can't go the hire of the GPX, I'd go the Whites, The Whites GM was "king of the hills" prior to the introduction of the ML SD series in 1994. The GPX is now top-dog but as I've pointed out here, it does miss gold. You might just find what the GPX misses.

Having said all this, I still reckon the GPX with it's Pulse Induction is the best there is currently.

HTH.

Cat

Hi, Steady Eddie here,
I fully agree with Cat. Minelab do admit their PI machines are weak on specimen gold, that is, finely distributed gold throughout rock.They cannot handle fine continuous yellow, as it tends to blend with the specific gravity of rocks over a wide area. Small, individual pieces are easily recognised, but they struggle when a fine blend exists. But having said that, the GPX 4500/5000 is (are) still the best detectors available, but should only be treated as a tool; and where specimens are suspected, a VLF machine in addition to a GPX, should be used.
Just a thought. Very Happy

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3