Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyres & Rims

+3
boobook
Topcat
Bignuggs
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tyres & Rims - Page 2 Empty Tyres & Rims

Post by Bignuggs Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

In another topic we got "off topic" with this subject but it's an interesting topic and I think we have talked about it before but it don't matter. I can only say, after spending 20 years in the transport and earthmoving game and changing truck tyres with split rims and on my old nissan & tojo, I'll take split rims anyday if I'm out in the scrub.
Some say they are dangerous, that's coz they don't hammer the locking rim down good while inflating.
Anyway, just my opinion.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Tyres & Rims - Page 2 Empty Re: Tyres & Rims

Post by Moneybox Mon 14 Jul 2014, 10:30 pm

Tyres and Rims  scratch . This is a tough one for most of us as we don't just go prospecting in the goldfields. Unfortunately the best tyre on road is unlikely to be much use off road and it's the same the other way around. A great tyre in for the harsh goldfield terrain is most likely going to be a noisy uncomfortable on-road tyre.

We spend quite a bit of time off the main roads but its usually during an extended period of time away from home and with a lot of fast highway travel in between. I've had the harsh noisy tyres and it can become quite tiresome after a couple of hours on the road. For this reason we aimed for a good on-road tyre that is capable of handling the bush tracks.

Running a M&S comfortable road tyre meant that we had to expect our fair share of punctures however in 40,000km we've only had one on-road puncture and two in the bush. Both punctures in the bush were from burned wattle and had to be expected on any tyre. We've blown several tyres but that was through a inbuilt fault that the manufacturer quickly compensated us for although we still have some problems with them.

The most important thing we did was made the wheels easily serviceable. We can easily dismantle a wheel and tyre in the bush. When I say easy I mean with a lot of effort but no special tools. The tyres fit loosely on the rims and clamp into place as the split rim is bolted together. It can take me an hour to put a tyre and wheel together but at least I know I can do it anywhere and the bead is seated before applying air pressure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
First I have to insert the plastic headlock.

It does require a couple of good leavers or a bit more than my 62kg.

A generous coating of lubricant helps.

And then turn the headlock 90 Deg.

Throw a balance bag in and fit a new 'o'ring seal to the rim.

Lift it onto the inner wheel half, place the outer rim on top and bolt it down.

Just add air and the tyre is fitted and balanced. Removal is just as easy because the wheel just pulls apart by hand, no ridge on the rim. These tyres are Load Range 'E' so still quite tough but not bullet proof.

Phil
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2