Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyres

+5
cruiser1
Stingray
NuggieDreamer
martinjsto
Bignuggs
9 posters

Go down

Tyres Empty Tyres

Post by Bignuggs Fri 09 Jan 2015, 8:45 pm

What's ya choice in tyres for your 4x4
I've currently got Sailuns, Chinese made but it seems most tyres are coming from there anyway, so why buy a brand name and pay top dollar.
Years ago I ran Bridgestones but they were made in Oz I think, not sure now.
Have read where people are going with the Chinese tyres, even if you go thru 2 sets in a year, it's cheaper than buying the big named brands and the mileage is about the same.
I'd be interested in ya thoughts, I'll need to replace 4 in a few months time.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Tyres Empty Re: Tyres

Post by martinjsto Fri 09 Jan 2015, 8:53 pm

like a lot of newer 4wd's split rims are not an option, i purchased the Bridgestone's Dueler A/T 697 LT, done around 10k with them to and fro the goldfield towing a pop up van and making my own track and not even a chip. not the cheapest but worth every cent IMO as a blow out on the gravel roads is deadly.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sat 10 Jan 2015, 7:41 pm

I'm with you Cliff,
Chinese 16" AT's on the Hilux, (same block pattern as BF Goodrich) not that noisy at 45psi, grip ironstone dirt road well, can handle being dropped to 5psi on the beach, what else do you want, shop around for a fitted and balanced price.

Cheap Ebay 4WD Tyres
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Sun 11 Jan 2015, 8:50 pm

Cliff, I run Hankooks ATM, 235/85 r16 on 16in rims. They are slightly wider than the normal 16in and great on the hwy, bush or beach. They are 10 ply and I run them hard (50psi) in the bush. I have had a few sets now and I swear by them. Pays to shop around for a decent price though - the variation in price is crazy. How some people still stay in business is beyond me…

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Sun 11 Jan 2015, 9:33 pm

As Stingray has said ,I can also vouch for the hankooks.Have had them on splits for the troopy and had excellent results.Will also be looking at replacing tyres over the next month or so and go the same again.

Regards

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Mon 12 Jan 2015, 5:59 am

I’m with Martin on this one. Now on my third set of Bridgestone's Dueler A/T 697 LTs. It pays to shop around though as prices vary considerably. Last September I paid $255 a corner from K-Mart Tyre & Auto Service while a Bridgestone dealer was asking $305.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by goldstrijk Mon 12 Jan 2015, 9:42 am

I've got TOYO Open Country A/T on my 79 series, done about 80K, but will have to be replaced before next season, I swear by em! Only staked twice in some very unforgiving country

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 12 Jan 2015, 10:08 am

how many km are you getting col? i haven't noticed any wear to date. hoping to get around 60000 to 75000 km b4 replacing.
cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Mon 12 Jan 2015, 7:57 pm

I replaced them at at about 70000 km. Probably had a couple of thou left if I were just using them around town.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:41 am

Just got back from the tyre shop.Four Hankook dynapro Atm 235x85 16 10ply. fitted for $259 each.That comes with free tyre rotation every 10,000km.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by flyrock Fri 23 Jan 2015, 3:56 pm

Had a good run out of my Toyo M55's last few years. (235/85/16's)Would put them on again, no worries.

flyrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jan 2015, 7:44 am

THE 235's are usually put onto solid rims.. if u r using splits then u would be silly not putting on 14ply tyres and having a diesel vehicle...i've seen enough cars that have caught on fire due to grass build up around the drive shaft..

The country down yonder isnt half as good as the country up in the Pilbara.

The difference is whether u r prospecting for at least 6 months or 4 weeks.

we r flat out getting 45k ks out of tyres in the Pilbara--both on road and off road use. the biggest disadvantage is that u cant let splits down beyound 20lbs.

i wouldnt let my tyres down to 5 psi--u would certainly cause damage to the internal structure of the side wall that u cant see. Unless i was seriously bogged but I learned a lesson on how good the mud tracks are and now i have 2 pairs of them.

its horses for courses.

If i was selling my troopy i would take off the splits and put on a set of 265.75r16 maxxis 980's for a bit of bling--still a 10ply rated tyre but like most tyres only 2-3 ply side walls.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by flyrock Sun 25 Jan 2015, 10:38 am

Hey Ray
As a tyre bloke, can you recommend the smallest width/size tyre that I can safely put on a 16x8 rim? I have a full set of 16x7 with 235/85/16 Toyo M55 on and have just found a set of 5 16x8 behind the old mans shed. I would like to keep the tyre sizes as close as possible to be able to have extra spares in the bush.
Cheers
Phil

flyrock

Back to top Go down

Tyres Empty silverstone muddies

Post by gut feeling Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:10 pm

I have 285/75/16 silver stone muddies on my patrol. Yes I have plugged them many times .I have taken them through spinnie ,snake root ,over rocks e.t.c. The good is they are comfortable In the bush especially when travelling long distance on dirt roads and they have got me out of alot of shite when getting caught in a shower in the pilbara as dirt turns to mud. they have been on my vehicle just over 2 years now .While Im down south I will be replacing with new next week. Only because they all slowly go down and 1 alone has 12 plugs in it (over the 2 years!) so Its time. Noting I always carry 6 tyres. (been caught out with 2 blow outs at the same time few years back and only carrying 5.... Thats all folks!
gut feeling
gut feeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:21 pm

hi Phil
first check to see if the rims have the right offset for your vehicle..
I wouldn't put anything less than 275 on 8" rims otherwise u hit the sidewall and they will pop of.

good luck

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by flyrock Sun 25 Jan 2015, 7:50 pm

cheers Ray, thanks

flyrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content