Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TYRES --R THEY CRACKING

5 posters

Go down

TYRES --R THEY CRACKING Empty TYRES --R THEY CRACKING

Post by Guest Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

JUST A QUICK NOTE --CHECK YAH TYRES--there maybe plenty of tread but if there is any crackin between the tread pattern or on the sidewall near the rim, unless u wont to be on the side of the road changing tyres then I suggest u see your tyre dealer and get some advice on whether they are roadworthy for such an adventure.

its advised to always carry 2 spares on your vehicle and same for your trailer/van takes a lot of pressure of and u dont have to worry as much--

using a quad bike then I suggest a push pull puncture repair kit in a plastic container so u dont loose everything when u open it up---oh yeah a good compressor helps..most tyres are around 8psi

When pumping up car tyres from flat--- take the valve out till u get the tyre up to 40 psi then insert the valve--its a quicker way to inflate but whatever u do follow the instructions provided..

Safe travels

regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down

TYRES --R THEY CRACKING Empty Re: TYRES --R THEY CRACKING

Post by Guest Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:09 am

oneday69 wrote:

using a quad bike then I suggest a push pull puncture repair kit in a plastic container so u dont loose everything when u open it up---oh yeah a good compressor helps..most tyres are around 8psi
Make sure it's a quality one with steel tools like the ARB units

When pumping up car tyres from flat--- take the valve out till u get the tyre up to 40 psi then insert the valve--its a quicker way to inflate but whatever u do follow the instructions provided..
You can't do this unless you have a removal tool. Some older valve caps had the on

Safe travels

regards
oneday69

gpost Well thought out Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:43 am

Good tips oneday. I wander if my recent mishap (blew out tyre sidewall) may have been prevented if i had taken the time to have a quick check of my tyres before i headed out?????

Just ordered my rear spare wheel carrier for my second spare aswell so ill be all set soon. Gonna order a snorkle in the next few days aswell, im sick of cleaning and changing out airfilters all the time after long drives on the dirt, hopefully having the air intake that much higher will reduce that considerably.

pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait Sun 15 Apr 2012, 1:08 pm

Another note this this.

Never Ever get a puncture on the side wall repaired.
Goldbait
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Apr 2012, 5:23 pm

how do you rate the rubber plug style puncture repair kits , saw these used a few times and thought they were amazing!

burnsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

the minicombi are the best tyre repair around if done correctly.

as far as the side wall goes-all tyre shops know its illegal to repair the side wall--too much flex--

even tyres that are worn on the inside or the outside tread we wont repair..oh its only a spare--tell someone who cares..if that tyre gets fitted to the front right and something goes wrong --it wont b nice..

regards

oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by reg Sun 15 Apr 2012, 5:54 pm

burnsy wrote:how do you rate the rubber plug style puncture repair kits , saw these used a few times and thought they were amazing!

burnsy

they are good to get u out of trouble on the running surface only we use them on the trucks sometimes it will take 2 or 3 plugs to do the job but will get u home, do not even think about using them on the sidewalls 🇳🇴 🇳🇴 🇳🇴 .

cheers...reg
reg
reg

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait Sun 15 Apr 2012, 5:57 pm

burnsy wrote:how do you rate the rubber plug style puncture repair kits , saw these used a few times and thought they were amazing!

burnsy

they are very good as they stop all moisture entering the layers of the tyre and causing the layers to come apart.
Goldbait
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Sun 15 Apr 2012, 9:24 pm

oneday69 wrote:JUST A QUICK NOTE --CHECK YAH TYRES--there maybe plenty of tread but if there is any crackin between the tread pattern or on the sidewall near the rim, unless u wont to be on the side of the road changing tyres then I suggest u see your tyre dealer and get some advice on whether they are roadworthy for such an adventure.

its advised to always carry 2 spares on your vehicle and same for your trailer/van takes a lot of pressure of and u dont have to worry as much--

Safe travels

regards
oneday69

The other thing to watch is the age of yer tyres, I had one, a spare, that was never used for years on my van. When I did use it, it only lasted a day before it blew to pieces.

They have the year that they were made on the sidewall, it's worth while checking
that you are getting, fairly newly made tyres, when you buy tyres. Wink
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sun 15 Apr 2012, 9:53 pm

My bad!!!, my pulled a pencil sized steak outa me LHS inner sidewall not so long ago and shes doing fine thus far. I shuved a plug in it and i'll be stuffed if im going to rite the tyre off just yet.
@ $175 a pop im gunna use it bush bashing till it dies.
Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:19 am

It's a bastard when that happens, Narrawa.
Trouble is, it will likely give you more grief, until you replace it.
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:51 am

Just remember that tyre plugging is a TEMPORARY FIX!
get it done properly the first chance you have. kwdf

Also, do some reseach into deflating your tyres when you travel off road.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:45 am

narrawa take it from me--throw it away--your life is worth more than $175..certainly dont put it on the front -- be carefull as well if your insurance company sees ya damaged tyre u blow your insurance--as I say not worth it---sorry but thats the truth
Further more u would never forgive yourself if u hurt someone--let alone family.
we get tyres worth $600 with side wall damage and a full head of tread and we still throw them away.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:14 pm

No way you buggers....im not tossing it till its cactus.!! :rolf:
Bush bashing may see me cop a blow out out 10-15klm and take out scrub.
However...if the tyre last longer than i give it credit i'll get it patched....or do it myself.

Robert, im hearing ya....yet to low a pressure will see the sidewalls touching the ground giving the tyre a bigger footprint and causing more damage to the tyre...im running 38psi while im bashing about and im happy with that.

Moving outa range of the net soon so i'll drop by when i can. ... be good you lot. klsdlbne
Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:25 pm

:| Narrawa ya tight ar*e :rolf:

When I bought my old cruiser I didn't really check tryes other than tread, I had a real bad steering problem and could not work it out, until one day I had a tyre explode like I have never before, bugger, on with the clapped out spare and the steering was now real bad.
Which got me to thinking about the tyres, on closer inspection, even though the tyres looked really good, they were probably the original tyres and 25+years old.
On with new tyres and the steering problem was also gone, we tend to forget what problems those rubber balloons can cause. Best grand I have ever spent.....anyone wanna buy some cheap second hand 4by tyres wegr lwkgh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down