Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting read about rims and tyres

+2
Ian226
Bignuggs
6 posters

Go down

Interesting read about rims and tyres Empty Interesting read about rims and tyres

Post by Bignuggs Sun 20 Apr 2014, 4:10 pm

Personal choice what you use.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cheers 
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Interesting read about rims and tyres Empty Interesting article on rims and tyres

Post by Ian226 Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:07 pm

Hi Bignuggs

Actually a very good read and informative information for those new to the game, and good of you to point out.

Cheers Ian

Ian226

Back to top Go down

Interesting read about rims and tyres Empty Re: Interesting read about rims and tyres

Post by sandgroper Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

That' a great article, thanks
sandgroper
sandgroper

Back to top Go down

Interesting read about rims and tyres Empty Re: Interesting read about rims and tyres

Post by albo Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:57 pm

Said it before , if you are going remote for any length of time , go splits , take 3 tubes , 2 tyre casings .. 750 . 16 , the usual , a quality cam action bead breaker , a good patch kit for the tubes & a few large truck tyre patches as well .
once in Halls Creek I was travelling on a track in burned out country months previous that had 3 inch burned stakes here n there poking up , stakn eggs each 5 km , I soon became an expert at tyre repair , also a quality pump is a must as well .
The flat tyres are a set back on a trip , but knowing you can overcome it & keep going is good for the mind .
Flat tyres on trips should not be a showstopper, iv seen blokes pack up & return to town because they were on their last spare ... jeez ive had up to 5 staked tyres in one trip , 3 weeks out ...learn to be independent if you want to be a serious prospector.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 21 Apr 2014, 6:00 pm

thing is a lot of newer 4wd are coming out with 17 inch rims and 16 inch split rims wont fit due to the large brake calibers used, i havnt seen any split rim 17 inch available so not possible. only choice is tubeless and a good quality patches/plugs kit. good idea to do a removal replacement b4 heading out to familiarize yourself with the equipment used and methods to break a bead and replace.
got to get some of that inner tyre sealant stuff and some bigger patches. good article Cliff, cheers

martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm

Hi Martin
all Toyota working class vehicles still come out with 16" splits x japan.

Its the recreational vehicles which don't go offroad too much that have the 17" tyres..
maybe look into getting some spaces to fit 16" splits if u r keen but be warned they are rated at 100ks max and most rec vehicles go a lot faster than commercial vehicles..

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 7:21 pm

Yeah ,excellent article Cliff ,thanks for posting it.Like Albo said,the more you can be self reliant the better it is. Can turn what could have been a really enjoyable trip into a night-mare,least to say being a burden on who ever has to pull you out of the shite.

cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 21 Apr 2014, 8:59 pm

although I would love one, I couldnt afford a Toyota Safari Ray and we need a high level of driving comfort for Karen so it was either a Parado or a mitsubishi Pajero, 17 inch only. I owned a NG 1990 Pajero for 23 yrs with over 600k on her and you just couldnt stop them in those days, the new one is even better and I would put the NS up against just about any 4wd out there for capability and reliability but we get there without our bones being rattled to bits, lol.  its only the rims issue that restrict tyre/rim choice. I have 2 spares, another 2 to get, and as above the correct tools and equipment is a must to repair the tyres properly, thats is the trick to not getting stranded not the rim choice that just makes the job easier still got to fix the tyre. same as your motor, if you have no idea how to fix it then dont go without someone that does, I think these skills are a must for prospectors.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down