Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off season project

+11
martinjsto
AnthonyV
gut feeling
Woteva
krazycaptain
albo
Sporaticus
edwood
Flying kiwi
Bignuggs
pilbarachad
15 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Off season project - Page 2 Empty Off season project

Post by pilbarachad Sat 05 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gday all.

I just bought myself a trade trailer, had some friends down in perth who were kind enough to pick it up and drive it back to hedland which worked out well. Anyway it rocked up yesterday and im pretty happy with it, i had only seen pictures on gumtree so wasnt real sure what was gonna rock up!! Plan is to convert it to an offroad camper over the next few months - hopefully i can get it bush ready by about easter time.

This is what ive got planned for it:
-Solar and electric fit out. Already got a 120w solar panel/regulator and some deep cycle batteries and have ordered internal and external LED lighting.
-Water tank and pump. Thinking about 80Litres or so for the tank.
-Rooftop tent, this will be down the track a bit, will just throw the swag or jet tent in the back for the first few expeditions.
-Pull out awning
-Thicker stronger draw bar, may also extend and make a section for a quad to be mounted on.
-Gas bottle and jerry can holders all round.
-Few extra inches of lift, which is the first job im gonna tackle.

Trailer is currently sitting on 195 R14's so sits pretty low, im going to throw some 6 stud (hilux) hubs on the axles, get some 16" rims and match tyre size to my car. Also want to upgrade the suspension, thinking i might chase up some second hand hilux leaf springs and throw them on.

Anyway this is what im working with.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Off season project - Page 2 Empty Re: Off season project

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

IF U put the solar panel back in front just make sue u have a ali cover to go over the front or come down to the workshop--I'm quiting 80w panels in a case for $250 per set-- u can set these up on a frame and they have an in built regulator..great little set up..
I have 6 units left to members if anyone is interested..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:39 pm

"There's my 2 grand special, has 2 DC batt's in the front but will have to replace the solar panel, it's in a pretty stupid spot. Has draws in the back as well as heaps of storage, 60ltr water tank, 2 x spares same size and pattern as my car which means 4 x spares for my trips bush"

Hey mate-im starting to wish i just bought something simple like that, my project keeps growing and growing, should be good when its done though!
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporaticus Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:15 pm

Nah Chad, at least you will know yours backwards, build it to your spec's and steal every good idea you've ever seen. It will be great to see it when it's finished, and it gives ya something to throw yourself into in the off season. Keep it up. hjjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:52 pm

^^^^ nice setup bud definately do the buisness see what you mean about the solar pannel

Chad havent been out yet this season first trip next month and will definately be tripping back up north this year... cant wait

Tom

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm

Heres the latest pics after today.

Frame is 99% complete now, progress will look alot more apparent from now on. Hopefully ill get the checker plate floor installed tomorrow and may even get a start on the external paneling. Only 4 or 5 weeks untill easter and my deadline, gotta get cracking.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 6:02 am

keep at it mate--it all gets there slowly

regards
oneday
ps--hope they are the chains that have a 4th link stamped--new rules and regs just come in..

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 24 Feb 2013, 3:36 pm

I haven't towed a caravan or trailer for many years so here's a question I got. What's with the block hitch now, are they supposed to be better than the old ball hitchup ?

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sun 24 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

Bignuggs wrote:I haven't towed a caravan or trailer for many years so here's a question I got. What's with the block hitch now, are they supposed to be better than the old ball hitchup ?

Hey bignuggs- its an off road trig or tregg hitch, i can never remember which one. Basically it can swivel side to side and up and down, so less chance of it popping off and probably transfers a little less stress to the mount/mounting bolts maybe scratch . The poly block itself just acts as a bit of a shock absorber.

Another plus is that i suppose its a bit harder to pinch, you cant connect up if you dont have the correct bit. Very Happy
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sun 24 Feb 2013, 4:42 pm

Well i went back into the workshop today, thought id be able to get the flooring in in about a half hour or so, man was i wrong Mad
It turns out part of my frame bows in a couple of millimetres about 2/3 of the way along, doesnt sound like much but it turned a quick job into a 2 hour job that still aint finished! Got sick of it after a while and had to head home and finish up cyclone preps, should get it done by next weekend.

On a positive note, noticed my neighbour having a garage sale this morn, wandered over to have a checkers and saw a brand new ally toolbox same size as my trailer, he won it recently so was quite happy to get $100 for it (as was I-they aint cheap). It was meant to be cheers

Heres a couple more pics

pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sun 24 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sun 24 Feb 2013, 4:53 pm

oneday monday wrote:keep at it mate--it all gets there slowly

regards
oneday
ps--hope they are the chains that have a 4th link stamped--new rules and regs just come in..

Yeah mate, i managed to chase down some of the proper chain here in town.

Ive been studying up the trailer build/registration info put out by dept infrastructure & transport so that i dont have any issues when i finally try get it registered.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sun 24 Feb 2013, 5:09 pm

Bignuggs- heres a close up for you with some awesome drawing included Very Happy

The shaft that goes into the block swivels anti/clockwise, the block goes up and down and the pin not shown that is mounted on the car allows side to side motion. The poly block actually has a brass insert to stop wear. The block is also fitted with a couple of grease nipples so it doesnt seize up and has a spring fitted internally which i believe is for shock absorption aswell.

pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 25 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

Shows how much out of touch I am. I saw one of these hitches late last year, had me a little intrigued but I can see the logic behind it.
Ya right, it won't come off the ball.
And your penmanship with the photo is excellent Off season project - Page 2 3179412840

Cheers
Cliff

PS. if the block ever wears out, how do you replace it if the block pivot is welded in ? Dumb question I know or maybe not. Is it gas axe and get the block out or do you have to replace the whole the main pivot shaft with block bracket as a complete assembly ?

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

Bignuggs wrote:Shows how much out of touch I am. I saw one of these hitches late last year, had me a little intrigued but I can see the logic behind it.
Ya right, it won't come off the ball.
And your penmanship with the photo is excellent Off season project - Page 2 3179412840

Cheers
Cliff

PS. if the block ever wears out, how do you replace it if the block pivot is welded in ? Dumb question I know or maybe not. Is it gas axe and get the block out or do you have to replace the whole the main pivot shaft with block bracket as a complete assembly ?

Hey Bignuggs,

Cant say ive given any thought at all about what to do when/if it wears out. The shaft actually goes all the way through the block and is held on by a nut, so i guess the shaft and block could be replaced as one unit. Cant say ive ever seen replacement parts for sale though.

Id actually be real interested to hear from other forum members who have experience with theese hitches.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:10 pm

I couldn't see the block wearing out quick but I guess it does come to wear and tear with the amount of towing. Surely the block itself can be replaced, it just seems strange that it is welded in.
That was really my question. Can you replace the nylon block or do you have to replace the whole unit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:04 pm

jeez Ray ,that van of yours , just filler up with workin girls , reckon youd put the port o call out of business up there lol!
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by krazycaptain Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:31 pm

Hi detectorist,
Working at Wodgina minesite 1 of the Atlas Iron mines. Finish here Tuesday 19th then Sally and I are hooking up the Bushtracker and heading out for a swing in April after 2 weeks fishing in Monkey Mia. Have any of you done any detecting down this way? Hope you all have a great season. I am taking the next 6 months off so have time to prospect this season. Cheers Captain
krazycaptain
krazycaptain

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:23 pm

G'day PC

How's ya project going. We haven't seen any photo's lately, hope all is well with it.

cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:51 pm

Bignuggs wrote:G'day PC

How's ya project going. We haven't seen any photo's lately, hope all is well with it.

cheers
Cliff

Gday Cliff,

Very little progress the last couple of weeks mate. Been real busy at work and had a heap of stuff on at home. Hoping i can get back into it a bit more this week. So much for my original plan of having it done by easter Sad
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:54 pm

krazycaptain wrote:Hi detectorist,
Working at Wodgina minesite 1 of the Atlas Iron mines. Finish here Tuesday 19th then Sally and I are hooking up the Bushtracker and heading out for a swing in April after 2 weeks fishing in Monkey Mia. Have any of you done any detecting down this way? Hope you all have a great season. I am taking the next 6 months off so have time to prospect this season. Cheers Captain

Havent detected to close to wodgina, a bit too much activity around there for me, did always like the look of it though as ive driven past. Did you get access around there from atlas??? Good luck with your 6 months prospecting, let us know how you go.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by krazycaptain Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:51 am

I have asked but as yet no word back. Seems the mines are all up and running and so gaining access is a major liability to the companies owning the leases.
One can only but try.
krazycaptain
krazycaptain

Back to top Go down

Off season project - Page 2 Empty back at it again

Post by pilbarachad Sun 24 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm

Well finally got a chance to do a bit more work on the trailer. Got the front and rear panels on this weekend, should be able to trim them up and get both side and the top panels on in the next week or so.

pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:40 pm

It's starting to take shape now. Good stuff cheers have you found anything out about replacing the block if and when it wears out ?

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:29 am

Bignuggs wrote:It's starting to take shape now. Good stuff cheers have you found anything out about replacing the block if and when it wears out ?

Thanks mate. I havent looked any further into replacement blocks at all-im sure ill get atleast a few years out of it before i need to start worrying (well i hope so).
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 27 Mar 2013, 10:42 am

pilbarachad wrote:Bignuggs- heres a close up for you with some awesome drawing included Very Happy

Curiosity got the better of me so I made some inquiries. The block should last for years as it is an offroad hitch but it all comes down to usage but the problem is with the pin hole bush, if it wears out, the whole block has to be replaced as the bush is vulcanised in. The block itself cost about $155

My curiosity is now satisfied Razz

cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next