Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best deal on. Minelab GPZ7000 or secondhand?

+9
Jack-Tar
larry303
Wedgetail
toad
gold n beer
Jonathan Porter
Young Simmo
Bignuggs
Tony Gold
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best deal on. Minelab GPZ7000 or secondhand? - Page 2 Empty Best deal on. Minelab GPZ7000 or secondhand?

Post by Tony Gold Fri 09 Dec 2016, 8:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok folks I've done the home work, see all the views of a number sites and decided to go straight to the GPZ7000
Now the question, where is the best deal going at the moment? And will there be a Christmas special?
I have seen two second hand ones, one for $8500 and other for $8400 with a bit of extra kit.
How safe is it to get a second hand GPZ? I do have a serial number on one of them. Other says he has a receipt from dealer.
Advise and guidance is greatly appreciated.
I want to buy now to get use to it and learn the tricks before I head up outback way for a project around Sandstone for a few months,
So I will have spare time to hunt for gold then
Cheers
Tony
Tony Gold
Tony Gold

Back to top Go down

Best deal on. Minelab GPZ7000 or secondhand? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best deal on. Minelab GPZ7000 or secondhand?

Post by larry303 Sat 31 Dec 2016, 11:47 am

Thanks Les/Wedgy for your response re the buyer of your first 7000.
All of this time frame under discussion, including when I used a borrowed 7000 in W.A., was before Minelab came out with their ferrite rod and papers etc to improve/maintain stability... as a response to problems being experienced...
In an ideal world they would have been attended to prior to release at$10,500 and saved a lot of collective angst....or was all this "imagined" as well JP?.....

The day nuggets have 'found dates' printed on them like Mint Issued Coins, is the day I place total reliance on a photo's veracity...
I agree..nuff said....Wedgie is now a happy camper.....Hoo Roo

larry303

Back to top Go down

Best deal on. Minelab GPZ7000 or secondhand? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best deal on. Minelab GPZ7000 or secondhand?

Post by albo Sun 01 Jan 2017, 8:52 am

A good robust conversation from the finders alfa mob i thought . Just came off nightshift enjoying a few as usual in the east pilbara & a happy new year to all you buggers that find this forum an interesting place to come & have a blast & enjoy.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Sun 01 Jan 2017, 12:34 pm

"Finders Alpha Mob"?? Not sure if I know what that means Albo, but thanks,,,, if it means "good"!

Pretty hard to get a chat going about detecting over on Finders. Been that way for years. These days I make an effort to stay out of the hard core political stuff despite my past! Rolling Eyes . It's too much trouble and I don't have the time to waste at my age and I have a new responsibilty these days. I have better things to do. It's no good getting any older if you don't get any wiser.

Mind you, I do agree with Larry about ML in saying that they did a pretty poor job on the 7000's quality control and development. We were used as "beta testers" for that machine. The Ferrite Ring and later software patch was testimony to that. They should never have been needed. The failures were not all hardware as was the case with the coil. The software was also faulty straight out of the box.

In future ML should locate testers that really know detecting in WA - "the worst place in the world in which to use a metal detector in the world" because WA was the chink in the 7000's armour, the weak link.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 01 Jan 2017, 7:45 pm

Wedgetail wrote:

In future ML should locate testers that really know detecting in WA - "the worst place in the world in which to use a metal detector in the world" because WA was the chink in the 7000's armour, the weak link.

I have to agree with that comment. I got my 7000 in April 2015, tried all the different settings under the sun but I was still being killed by another user with his 5000. Enuff said about that but, I want to know, how much testing was done in WA on red hot ground.
After all this chat, I'm starting to think I have one of the problem machines or coils and I'm sure from comments I've made previously, I'm not a happy chappy about the 7000 or at least with my machine.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by larry303 Sun 01 Jan 2017, 9:35 pm

Bignuggs you should gain considerable comfort in JP's Statement re the release of the 7000 in this thread:

'THERE WAS NO NEED FOR MINELAB TO ACKNOWLEDGE PROBLEMS BECAUSE THE PROBLEMS WERE NOT THAT WIDE SPREAD'.....

It is apparently 'trouble making' to discuss such matters......Cadswallop!

Hoo Roo

larry303

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 02 Jan 2017, 9:22 am

Good info Les , i only recently bought a 5000 , rarely go out atm because of work so i didnt want to burn a lot of money on a 7000 & it will sit in the cupboard for months & become outdated. Iv been told a 5000 with a 17 . 13 coiltek is a great rig ,so any of you 7000 believers out there that have one & want to sell it cheap to a busted ar*e prospector haha ,give me a pm
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Mon 02 Jan 2017, 12:55 pm

Bignuggs,

Send the whole lot back and include the coil. I can't remember how long the warranty is on either. Write out the problem and ask for "a complete health check with pre and post repair test bed results". One thing I will say about ML is that Kevin and the boys in the Tech/Repairs section are tops. Fast service and turnaround.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:02 pm

Wedgetail wrote:Bignuggs,

Send the whole lot back and include the coil. I can't remember how long the warranty is on either. Write out the problem and ask for "a complete health check with pre and post repair test bed results". One thing I will say about ML is that Kevin and the boys in the Tech/Repairs section are tops. Fast service and turnaround.

Question for ya Les. even with your new machine, do you get a lot of false targets. I'm fed up with digging holes and there's nothing there.

Cheers
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:07 pm

Larry,

I just checked back and read it as well!

'THERE WAS NO NEED FOR MINELAB TO ACKNOWLEDGE PROBLEMS BECAUSE THE PROBLEMS WERE NOT THAT WIDE SPREAD'.....

That's a shocking attitude eh! So all the poor buggers were walking round with these "new technology" machines, constantly being told that they need to re-learn everything, change your ways etc,etc, all new and not knowing "muck from mullock" about the machine whilst not being told they could have a problem detector!!

Nice eh? But ML pulled done that one before,,,,,,,,,,I have a long memory.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:32 pm

Cliff,

Yep, I used to dig 'em and sometimes, still do. But I adapt my years of experience using other detectors to prevent a lot of the excess digging of "falsies".

It was often the case, years ago, when detecting REALLY HOT mineralised ground at Nannine and The Island that I'd get "one sided signals" with no signal on the return sweep. On such ground a definite "BIPP" is heard one way, but not the backswing. No signal on the return sweep. Happened a lot. But they weren't deep nuggets, just small and mainly near the surface.

As a result, I've adapted that. If a signal has a "reasonable" but maybe "wide" signal response, with "no real centre", then be careful. You need to take off a few inches to really check it. If that noise doesn't improve WHATSOEVER after say 2 to 4 inches then in all probability it's a "falsie". It has to get better, even if only slightly, to have any promise. That last bit better is a matter of judgement. This "improvement" stems from the processing electronics having a slightly lesser job to do because you've removed some of the covering soil. So it can process the signal a little easier and develop it for the earphones. Less interference one might say.

But if the signal is totally "one-sided" or even marginally "one sided" do the same as above but if the signal is retaining the "one-sided" response and not getting any better, I'd bet my bum it's ground noise.

Being able to legally use a jackhammer helps me a lot in finding out these things as I have the luxury of being able "to get to the bottom of things" pretty quick and without breaking too much sweat. So I get more "falsies" and "reallys", probables and possibles to study.

But it really is an experience thing. But I will say that the 7000 is bugger for giving out "wide signals" on good BIGGER AND DEEPER nuggets. But they are not "one-sided" and "vague. "Wide" they may be, but they are much louder than the background ground noise that you've been listening to all day! Because of that wide coil and the transmit/receive pulsing it can sense deep but loses signal resolution in being so good at depth. It has to process a lot more soil data before it can pick out and enhance  that signal noise. The 7000 is a slow machine. Just stick to trying to hear a "middle" or a "centre" in the signal noise. But wide, wishy washy and"one sided"? I forget 'em and walk on. In contrast the old SD series gave out a huge "THUMP" or "WHOOMP" when it went over a big one down deep. 7000s don't seem to do that??

Besides,,,,,I've only got a few "deep digs" left in me these days!!

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:47 am

Wedgetail wrote:Larry,

I just checked back and read it as well!

That's a shocking attitude eh! So all the poor buggers were walking round with these "new technology" machines, constantly being told that they need to re-learn everything, change your ways etc,etc, all new and not knowing "muck from mullock" about the machine whilst not being told they could have a problem detector!!

Nice eh? But ML pulled done that one before,,,,,,,,,,I have a long memory.

Les you still haven't established if your detector was actually faulty, so all this fuss and finger pointing achieves nothing other than prove you like to whinge and complain and stamp your foot.

As for the quote in Caps above, the coil issue was NOT wide spread so was being attended to through normal channels, therefore no need for a public statement hence my comments (you've just highly praised Kevin and his team in repair, even though your mate Larry has condemned them because apparently they tested your detector and found it wasn't faulty). And now you have to publicly attack me because someone is to blame for your inability to get your first GPZ working properly! I would have left this subject alone and let you do what you like but you did not keep to your word and keep my name out of it on the forums. You gave me your word Les, our discussions were conducted under the terms of that agreement.

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter Tue 03 Jan 2017, 5:02 am

Wedgetail wrote: In future ML should locate testers that really know detecting in WA - "the worst place in the world in which to use a metal detector in the world" because WA was the chink in the 7000's armour, the weak link.

Just to put truth to these fly away type comments, I turned a test GPZ on for the first time in WA with 3 Minelab Engineers present, it also found its first nugget a very short time later. I had Minelab personnel with me in WA on many occasions and personally did extensive field testing of the detector in WA, in fact cumulatively speaking I did more GPZ testing in WA than any other state.

It was always known that salt would cause issues with the GPZ and end users, that is the nature of ZVT. Once it was realised that people were struggling to come to terms with the new technology Minelab very quickly put measures in place to improve the detector, hence the Ferrite being rolled out then once developed the new version of Software to compliment the Ferrite.

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Tue 03 Jan 2017, 6:41 am

JP,

Just do what ya get paid for and help Bignuggs with his 7000 problem with "falsies". Other than that we've moved on, "move on nothing to see here". We're trying to help people that have issues with operating or buying a 7000. We're not here to listen to a Minelab Rep defend Minelab's "rep".

Minleab did it's dash with me many years ago on QA/QC, marketing and PR under Ian Aitken. You're just the latest example.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter Tue 03 Jan 2017, 6:53 am

Wedgetail wrote:JP,

Just do what ya get paid for and help Bignuggs with his 7000 problem with "falsies". Other than that we've moved on, "move on nothing to see here".

Minleab did it's dash with me many years ago on marketing and PR under Ian Aitken. You're just the latest example.

Bit rich coming from a person who does not keep his word!! I don't get paid to help anyone Les, when I spoke to you I was contracted to provide remote support assistance to Minelab dealers but somehow you came in under that mantle (too hard basket me thinks!!).

I'm more than happy to help people including Bignuggs, but its a bit hard to do that when I get constantly sniped and combined in with your inability to separate me out from your anti-Minelab issues!! Perhaps you should be the one "who moves on" Les?

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by larry303 Tue 03 Jan 2017, 7:46 am

'Last Word Johnny'...always.
The customer is not always right, however the customer ALWAYS remains the customer...disregard this to your business detriment...
Hoo Roo

larry303

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:04 pm

a few years back, I was in a well known chain store which targeted lower prices. At the checkout I listened to a conversation between the young lady at the register and a customer.
When my turn came to pay for goods, I said to the young lady, "The customer is always right".
Here's the reply I got. "The customer is not always right, they only think they are".
When I asked where she got that from, she told me it is part of their training. I'll say no more about what they call customer service, especially here in the West.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by old dragon Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:41 pm

Hi Tony Gold I don't think you will be disappointed with a GPZ 7000 I think its a great machine.:Very Happy I purchased mine in June 2015 and it paid for it self in the first week in the WA goldfields and I was new to detecting. I have continued to find gold in Qld, NSW and WA. Bignuggs I get the false signals, I haven't mastered them yet.
Cheers Max

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 03 Jan 2017, 6:03 pm

Hi Max, I don't think there is a way of learning false signals/targets.
So here's some info about my machine.
If there's a small shallow piece of gold (2 to 3 inches), the machine yodels. A chap on youtube calls it the warble.
But I have had an even toned signal both ways and it was a small piece of gold so it's hard to tell. Sometimes this turns out to be a bullet or a shot gun pellet but ya gotta dig.
If it screams, it is usually junk but you have to dig anyway to make sure.
I've never heard the high/low tone yet.
Now the last trip I did for 2016 in the Cue area, out of about 6 to 8 signals, only 2 were gold, the rest were false signals. I have witnesses for a trip I did to the Redcastle area who will tell you I was getting p*ssed off with the falsing.
I have persevered with the machine. Paying $10,700 you would think you were getting your money's worth. So I'm hoping someone can tell me, is it possible I have one of the dicky machines/coils and don't tell me I don't know how to use it.
by the way, the coil is bump sensitive, I shite ya not.
The amount of holes I dug in 2016 should make me a qualified grave digger, I moved a lot of dirt for nothing.
Am I p*ssed off, you bet I am.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter Tue 03 Jan 2017, 6:27 pm

larry303 wrote:'Last Word Johnny'...always.
The customer is not always right, however the customer ALWAYS remains the customer...disregard this to your business detriment...
Hoo Roo

Larry I'm a man of principals and conduct my business in the same way, I would be letting myself and my customers down if I did not remain true to those principals. I tend to find when you run your business in this way you attract customers of similar ilk which has a flow on effect everywhere else.

A very good friend who is in retail said to me recently, "1% of your customers will give you 99% of your problems", very sage advice me thinks. Suspect

OK I'm ready to move on, I've said my piece and put forward my point of view. Apologies to anyone on the side lines who might have been offended by the banter. Oh and thanks everyone for the PMs, some of them were very enlightening. affraid

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter Tue 03 Jan 2017, 6:32 pm

Bignuggs wrote:Hi Max, I don't think there is a way of learning false signals/targets.
So here's some info about my machine.
If there's a small shallow piece of gold (2 to 3 inches), the machine yodels.  A chap on youtube calls it the warble.
But I have had an even toned signal both ways and it was a small piece of gold so it's hard to tell.  Sometimes this turns out to be a bullet or a shot gun pellet but ya gotta dig.
If it screams, it is usually junk but you have to dig anyway to make sure.
I've never heard the high/low tone yet.
Now the last trip I did for 2016 in the Cue area, out of about 6 to 8 signals, only 2 were gold, the rest were false signals.  I have witnesses for a trip I did to the Redcastle area who will tell you I was getting p*ssed off with the falsing.
I have persevered with the machine.  Paying $10,700 you would think you were getting your money's worth.  So I'm hoping someone can tell me, is it possible I have one of the dicky machines/coils and don't tell me I don't know how to use it.
by the way, the coil is bump sensitive, I shite ya not.  
The amount of holes I dug in 2016 should make me a qualified grave digger, I moved a lot of dirt for nothing.
Am I p*ssed off, you bet I am.  

I would definitely take the coil back to your dealer and have it checked. Touch sensitivity in High Yield Difficult is symptomatic of a coil issue, and false signals that are random or not soil related or seem to move around are also pointing to a possible coil issue. Get your coil checked.

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 03 Jan 2017, 7:15 pm

Thankyou JP, I will take the coil back to the dealer tho I'm not relishing the thought as the person in question needs some lessons in customer service.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter Tue 03 Jan 2017, 8:26 pm

Bignuggs wrote:Thankyou JP, I will take the coil back to the dealer tho I'm not relishing the thought as the person in question needs some lessons in customer service.

If you run into trouble give me a shout, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get something like this sorted out. The detector and coil has a 3 year warranty.

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:02 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:
Bignuggs wrote:Thankyou JP, I will take the coil back to the dealer tho I'm not relishing the thought as the person in question needs some lessons in customer service.

If you run into trouble give me a shout, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get something like this sorted out. The detector and coil has a 3 year warranty.

JP

Thankyou.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Wed 04 Jan 2017, 5:26 am

All hail the mighty sdc2300.
Sorry couldn't help myself  Hahahahahaha.

Pete
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by larry303 Wed 04 Jan 2017, 6:09 am

......you're not Crazy, Pete.......the 2300 is the most 'reliable' detector yet produced by Minelab.....and you don't have to be half paranoid to get the best out of it ..every time!....Hoo Roo

larry303

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next