Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bait warning

+2
73Steve
Jackthehound
6 posters

Go down

Bait warning Empty Bait warning

Post by Jackthehound Mon 12 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm

If you are coming to Nullagine to detect and have a dog be warned that baits have been laid by the Ag Dept. There was no notification or signage put up and one of the locals have just lost their dog a few hours ago. Apparently he was walking his dog out near Garden Pool, which is a local tourist area a couple of kilometres out of town.

It is the most horrific way to watch your loved pet die.

How do the Ag Dept. get away with baiting so close to a township ??

Back to top Go down

Bait warning Empty Re: Bait warning

Post by 73Steve Mon 12 Sep 2016, 7:48 pm

Sorry to hear about this. I have also lost a dog to these baits. I do understand the need to control the wild dogs. But as you say, it is a horrible way to watch a loved pet go.

Its sad really that the general public don't understand how inhumane the death of a dog is after eating this bait. There was protests and rally's for our cattle when we saw images of the mistreatment of our cattle overseas, yet this broadcasting of baits continues. The manufactures say it is humane and the dogs don't feel anything, but some of us know better. Some farmers will use the argument that after watching the pain inflicted on livestock by these dogs your opinion will change, but mine hasn't and I have seen this too. They say there is no secondary poisoning, but again some of us know better. Gee we really have stuffed up when it comes to our best friends.

As for the placing of baits near built up areas, my reading stated they could put baits within 500m of roads and dwellings. But my reading was some years ago.

All sad really

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:33 pm

Yes Jack and Steve, Cyanide puts an animal to sleep, and Strychnine causes hours of incredible pain, and our Govt D***heads choose Strychnine.
I don't have a problem in suggesting something for those Gov't idiots but, I won't say it here, as I am a Humane type of person.
Young Simmo
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:13 am

Here is some reading re: Control of Wild Dogs

http://www.pestsmart.org.au/faq-wild-dogs-and-poison-baiting/

http://www.pestsmart.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/WDFS4.pdf

http://www.pestsmart.org.au/papp-for-wild-dog-and-fox-control/

Bait warning Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:15 pm

I am sorry Nightjar but if anyone believes that 1080 is humane, they have never seen it themselves or they are heartless. 1080 is inhumane. The poison makes the dogs do crazy things, I have seen them run through fires or run flat out head first in to the side of cars. If this is not considered painful then I don't understand what pain is. I understand the need to control the dogs but I will never condone the use of this horrible chemical. The thing that distinguishes us from animals is our humanity. Our compassion an our empathy. 1080 does not represent all the best of what is humanity. 1080

Last year I was stalked and confronted by a large wild dog, yet I still would not like to see that dog suffer a death like that of which I have seen loved pets suffer at the hands of this chemical.

I done a lot of reading and research on this subject. There are two sides to the story. Neither is pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1080+poison

There are better control methods, they just are more expensive and labour intensive. So there is a price on our humanity.

Last edited by 73Steve on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding)

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 13 Sep 2016, 5:06 pm

73Steve, Please don't get me wrong, I am not in favour of this method at all. Have heard so many stories about the suffering after taking a bait. A close friend was devastated after searching for days for his beloved pet who ran away from their camp in a frenzied state.
We were sitting around the campfire one night chewing the fat on this subject and one of the group came up with what we thought was a feasible idea, but of course the question was who would pay for it?.
All male dogs in towns and communities should be sterilised. After all the wild dog numbers only increased after domestic dogs were abandoned and bred with the dingoes. Also when the Government withdrew funding for licensed doggers this added to the problem.
There are those who will remember when there was a bounty paid for emus, foxes & dingoes?

Bait warning Signature2

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve Tue 13 Sep 2016, 5:26 pm

Again sorry Nightjar, I wasn't directing the comment towards anyone in particular.

Regards Steve

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:57 pm

As a young boy I remember watching my dog die from a poison bait that some mongrel put in the yard. And that was in suburban Fremantle area.
That's why Oscar the nugget sniffing wonder dog has been introduced to a muzzle which I've got to put mesh around. If you value your dog and he's ya mate then you have to look after them.

Bait warning 20160910

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:01 pm

73Steve wrote:Again sorry Nightjar, I wasn't directing the comment towards anyone in particular.

Regards Steve

All good Steve, know where you're coming from.
Cheers mate
Peter

Bait warning Signature2

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Bait warning Empty licensed doggers

Post by Jackthehound Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:59 pm

Funny you should mention that Nightjar. I was only having a beer with a prospecting mate this arvo and he said exactly the same thing " bring back the licensed doggers ".

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper Sun 18 Sep 2016, 6:57 am

Dog Baiting from 16th September... CUE district

Fresh dog baits have been laid at...

Wondinong...

Yarraquin...

Austin Downs..

Nallan...

Karbar...

Beebyn...

Glen...