Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Deep

5 posters

Go down

How Deep Empty How Deep

Post by Bignuggs Sun 15 Feb 2015, 9:32 am

Here's a question that was asked on another forum. It only got 1 answer.
"How deep can a detectorist dig" legally. The answer given was 1 metre.
it wasn't stated if that was for Vic, NSW, SA, QLD or WA
Now to be honest, it's not something I've ever seen stated in any of the DMP publications. So what is the deepest a detectorist is allowed to dig a hole with hand tools in WA ?
Cheers
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

How Deep Empty Re: How Deep

Post by thedigger Sun 15 Feb 2015, 9:48 am

Bit like the rule in NSW,only allowed to take a certain amount gold per day.dreamed up by a idiot in the big smoke.

Regards Frank

thedigger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 15 Feb 2015, 9:57 am

Found this but it only refers to 40E permits.  What about VCL or Pending ground  ?

How Deep Deep10
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:10 am

the old story cliff when out bush or in the pub--keep yah mouth shut when strangers are around..

I have ordered an 72cc auger with multiple size augers to give me a hand...I don't care if the nugget gets damaged so long as its out of the ground.

I think there is still a law around that states the government on the day can confiscate your gold. They can do it to the banks with our savings so good luck.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:15 am

There is no depth limit specified in the WA Mining Act when prospecting on VCL. The only restriction is that of "hand held tools" and by definitions from the DMP and in several legal cases, that does not include powered, hand held tools. e.g Electric jackhammers, hammer drills etc.

So that means, you can "knock yerself out" digging as deep as you like using a pick, shovel, hammer and chisel. I need to check on Sect 40e, as I vaguely recall reading something about that. More soon.

If you're on someone else's tenement, with permission, you still can't use anything but "hand-held" gear as above. This is because anything other than hand tools is regarded as "mechanised surface disturbance" and that needs a Programme of Works (POW) to be in place. I'm a leaseholder and even I am not supposed to be using anything but "hand held" unless I have a POW in my hot little hand.

BTW - the POW thing is what is causing all the uproar from prospectors across the state of WA at the moment.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Sun 15 Feb 2015, 2:40 pm

I have it in my mind 2metres below natural ground surface.
Augers, jackhammers etc....== NAUGHTY...mind you, if Les was out there with his frilly frock on digging illegal holes in the middle of nowhere and I came across him....I reckon I'd keep on driving.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Sun 15 Feb 2015, 2:42 pm

pilko wrote:I have it in my mind 2metres below natural ground surface.
Augers, jackhammers etc....== NAUGHTY...mind you, if Les was out there with his frilly frock on digging illegal holes in the middle of nowhere and I came across him....I reckon I'd keep on driving.

You may be right there,,,,,,,,,,,,about "keep on driving"!

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Sun 15 Feb 2015, 8:32 pm

Sect 40e permits have a depth limit of 2 metres:

Prescribed depth (Act s. 20A(6)(b))
For the purposes of section 20A(6)(b) the prescribed depth is 2 m below the natural surface of the land.

Read 20a as 40e as my copy of the Act is a bit dated but the words are the same in this case.

There is a depth restriction on private land, but it's the other way around - no mining closer than 30 mtrs to the surface. i.e you have no surface rights on private land other than by written permission. That won't bother us much. There seems to be no depth restriction for prospecting on VCL. There is a 50 mtr depth restriction on a Prospecting Licence however.

All said 'n done,,,,,,,,,,this new ML detector is gonna have to be REAL good to break any laws in the Mining Act.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by cueite Sun 22 Feb 2015, 8:47 am

when I got my miners right in 1974 it was written the depth was 6ft same as a coffin hole I wonder cheers

cueite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down