Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

deep cycle batteries--

3 posters

Go down

deep cycle batteries-- Empty deep cycle batteries--

Post by Guest Tue 26 Mar 2013, 7:59 pm

heres a site that may interest u if u r in the market for a decent set up for ya ute or van..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

let us know if u do a deal--and what u get.
They have a wharehouse in Perth.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

deep cycle batteries-- Empty Re: deep cycle batteries--

Post by Guest Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

That's a good price for 165 Ah batteries. With a 3 to 5 year warranty on 'em they seem good value.

For years I've never used anything but AGM, spiral wound batts from Optima in the USA. I usually get 4 years out of 'em on rough roads and they have an incredible CCA rating for what is a physically small battery. They can also be used a cranking battery as well as a deep cycle and I do use 'em in both types of service as the Nissan has very small battery space under the bonnet. (That big Chev V8 diesel takes up a lot of room!!) I carry 3 AGM batteries and another in the caravan.

I couldn't use these Chineses batteries as they're too big a footprint, but they do look a bargain at that price and warranty. If I had room I'd give 'em a go.

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:14 am

Hi All,

Went to Perth Monday and picked up 4 Fullriver AGM 120a/h batteries normally $410 ea but got them for $330ea, also picked up an evakool 60L fridge/freezer(really only 47L) for $649 which will be our permanent freezer

Also just recieved our inverter gen 4.4kva for $550, its bloody huge but has the remote start feature which will be real good for switching off when goin ni- nies

About to order a battery charger and a foldable solar panel 120w then that should aught to do it, damn, where does all the money go!!!

Cat, I use one of those optima batt's in my cruiser after goin thru new batt's every 6mths i reckon they must be gettin shaken to death and reading where the optimas could take more punishment i opted for one of them, so far so good and like you said good crankin power

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

"4.4 kVa"!! What do you do out there? Launch satellites? Fire lasers at Mars? Melt rocks?

That's a big genny just for camping. Ron, are you sure you've got that price right? "4.4 kVa for $550.00"??

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

I'm with Cat, what do you do with 4.4 kva? Your solar will keep your battery topped up.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:00 am

Maybe he has a bloody big jack hammer or drill so he can do this jhgigfif jhgigfif jhgigfif then this l;wfh l;wfh l;wfh
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 2:13 pm

Ron,

As you say, the biggest destroyer of batteries is vibration, which is why a battery should be well held down by a good clamoing system on a soft surface.

The Optimas are good in that respect as they "spiral wound" as opposed to plates in a normal battery and the lead/acid solution is a gel and not a liquid as in normal batts. This all helps to minimise the vibe problem so they last longer. I have one on the way out at present after about 3 years, it's down to 2/3 rds capacity but it's still well capable of cranking my Chev 6.5 litre V8 diesel. I'll get a few more months out of it still.

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Wed 27 Mar 2013, 2:39 pm

Another destructive factor with batteries under the vehicle bonnet is heat.
They simply dont like it.
I think batteries are a little like humans, they suffer from stress and we all know what that can do to us.
Mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

geez and heres me trying to but an 8 kva genset-diesel to light the palace up..air con/heaters/ fridge /freezer and all the associated crap that I have got...

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

Hi All,

Sorry I'm late replying but i put the gearbox and transfer back into the cruiser today, still got the tailshafts and exhaust to go but nearly there.

The only reason i went for the 4.4kva was that it had a remote start and i needed 2200 w for the aircon + lights and telly, and 110L waeco and all

The 3.4kva would have done but no remote so 4.4 it is and at $550 delivered to the door can't beat it, i think the ebay seller was praelia

Maybe!!!, i can take the jack-hammer, vibrator, hairdryer, breadmaker, slow cooker,...jeese i need a bigger cruiser!!!

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:48 pm

oneday monday wrote:geez and heres me trying to but an 8 kva genset-diesel to light the palace up..air con/heaters/ fridge /freezer and all the associated crap that I have got...

regards
oneday

Like I keep saying, Ray 'n Ron, about you city folk, you shouldn't be out there without your latte machine and electric blankets, it's far too dangerous.

deep cycle batteries-- 3179412840

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:50 pm

mate its comfort with a capital C

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:54 pm

Hi Cat,

I got the missus to cuddle up to and she makes a good coffee with extras and this is our first year out full timin so i suppose we will work it out eventually

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

struff Ron --takin a vibrator--now thats gona keep someone happy-- lol!

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:04 pm

So I'm a bit confused, are these optima batteries gel or AGM.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:42 pm

Jack-Tar wrote:So I'm a bit confused, are these optima batteries gel or AGM.

JT,

The term "AGM" just means "Absorbed Glass Mat" which is basically glass matt sitting in a lead/acid solution. This is the same chemical reaction to give you the volts but it's a more reliable, stable, durable but more expensive way of doing things than a simple lead plate battery in a lead/acid solution.

The other advantages of Optima is the lead/acid gel solution rather than a liquid solution as above and the fact that they are "spiral wound" glass mat - sitting in a sticky gel. All designed to make the battery more rugged under harsh conditions such as vibration etc.

So Optima are both gel and AGM - tightly spiral wound with no plates as such.

HTH

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

Thanks Cat,
I do know the differences between the two technologies (AGM & Gel). I'm just trying to get my head around a battery that combines the two. As gel batteries do not tolerate a high charge rate, I expect the max voltage for charging these batteries would be 14.4 volt. Is this correct?

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down