Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100 series L'Cruiser

+5
AnnieL
Moneybox
NuggieDreamer
Ttrash
hoolahoopa
9 posters

Go down

100 series L'Cruiser Empty 100 series L'Cruiser

Post by Ttrash Fri 21 Nov 2014, 8:54 am

Howdy ,
looking for some feedback , good or bad on 100 series
looking at buying one - 2003 - 2007
Ive got a 28ft caravan to pull , that we are living in full time weights 2700kg loaded
not that fussed about fuel economy ....... I think ........

Ant Very Happy
Ttrash
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

100 series L'Cruiser Empty Re: 100 series L'Cruiser

Post by hoolahoopa Fri 21 Nov 2014, 3:58 pm

ttrash, got a 06 105 series, upgraded from a 93 hilux. for all round comfort they are hard to beat i reckon. fuel economy well you reckon your not to worried so wont go there!
if your towing i would spend the extra a go for a FACTORY turbo version unless your not concerned about towing at 80 km/hr.
they are big to push through the scrub that is my one small issue. all round a good rig mate you wont look back.

hoolahoopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Nov 2014, 6:51 pm

Mate why don't u get a V8 Toyota --put a 3" mandral bent exhaust from the manifold back and a chip and we wont see u for dust.
Long range tanks- 2 spares--bull bar with a couple of spotties and a LED light bar--uhf radio 80 channel with the cop channel onit to keep u entertained. Windows tinted etc

just a few ideas--I have a 100 series and its going up for sale as soon as I get it back from Perth in a few weeks time. They we never known for their speed...in actual fact they were slow ..

good luck

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Ttrash Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:52 am

Thanks guys
Oneday I'm with you , prefer 76 or 78
But I need to look after the cook !

I've got a '13 BT 50 4WD it's great , tows great
For me it's a " bit nice " to go bush
Ttrash
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:48 am

oneday wrote:Mate why don't u get a V8 Toyota --put a 3" mandral bent exhaust from the manifold back and a chip and we wont see u for dust.

Once had the privilege to drive City Toyota service managers Chipped 100 series V8 4500L Petrol and Aftermarket Dual Exhaust, (reved and boggied from 5000 to 7000RPM!) Heard they do 7-25L/100km depending on how hard you punch it.
Cruise speeds 150-160km/hr effortless.

Push a more expensive turbo diesel that hard, exhaust temps eventually become an issue without all kinds of mods.
If you can do all that, you may as well go all the way and buy a Turbo Diesel V8 4500L 78series that hasn't had a life in a mine pit I reckon.
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sat 22 Nov 2014, 1:40 pm

I drove my son's 200 series with the twin turbo V8 diesel across the country a few times. I had the Mitsubishi Evo-9 or the Nissan 370Z in the trailer with tools, almost a spare car of parts, 200L of race fuel, generator etc. 6.5 Tonns all up and 11m long. He operates a performance workshop so has the big exhaust, chip with a switch for power options and deep pockets. It has oddles of power to sit on the speed limit at about 27L/100Km. He recons it goes down to about 11L/100Km without the trailer.

It feels bulletproof. The only problem I had was with the 2" lift kit. The extra weight on the rear caused it to bugger up a CV boot by Merredin. Then on the way home the boot went again only I didn't see it until the CV started to complain about running red hot just this side of Kimba.
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnieL Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:42 am

Hi Ttrash,  I have a 2004 GXL TD 100 series auto and love it.  Tows a 19'6" Kedron caravan weighing about 3.2 ton.  Fairly good economy for towing (19lit).

I had a 3" Taipan exhaust put in before our last trip to WA and it made a great difference (it was already chipped with Safari Dtronic).  

I did the Outback Way trip two years ago and heard fuel quality/water may be an issue so had a diesel fuel pre-filter put in.   Also had a water level monitor put in after a clamp rubbed a hole in the hot water hose.  Warped the head so had to get a new one.  Joe at Nullagine looked after us for that. Got 214,000 km on clock now and after 10 years some bushes, hoses etc need replacing over time but been a good workhorse and not too big to get into some places.

As we do some remote travel we prefer the 100 series.  The 200 series stops, gives a code and tells you to take it to workshop.  You need a list of codes to know if you can still drive it.  Not the best thing to happen in remote places as towing costs are huge.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

AnnieL

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 23 Nov 2014, 1:15 pm

pretty well all modern cars and 4WD have fault codes and "limp modes" if the computer notice what it believes is a terminal problem. not so much a issue in metro but the need to return to dealer to have them do a reset is just a ripoff and makes of course them unreliable in the bush. i eliminated the potential issues one by one with my NS and purchased a MUT111 diagnostic unit to be capable of resetting codes and getting out of limp modes myself. nothing wrong with modern 4wd's like the 200 series just need to buy a toyota diagnostic unit. learn to use it and get to know the issues b4 going remote. alternatively, just stick to the older reliable vehicles that will eventually die anyway.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cueite Fri 05 Dec 2014, 3:35 pm

hi all interesting topic we bought a 2011 v8 diesel tray back toyota got fed up with the 3ltr nissan and after 23000 trip around oz with big van and loaded with gear just under 6ton all up  i can only say its the best tow rig we have had returning 17 to 20 lts per hundred and 15 without the van and the head wind doesnt bother it still towing in 5th  it has the 3inch exhaust and no chip al the utes have a soft bum  so fitted air bags hope this helps

cueite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ttrash Fri 05 Dec 2014, 5:30 pm

Thanks again to those that have posted

Annie , martin & cuetie
Thanks

PS - Annie have done 3 trips to Warwick
for 2 bits )
Ttrash
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 Sat 06 Dec 2014, 11:56 am

sorry to hi jack the thread but cueite you said you where fed up with the 3lt patrol, why was this? thru lack of grunt for the big van towing or did you have issues mechanically?.
I'm interested in a patrol and as you know the 3lt's are much cheaper then the 4.2lt's. I don't tow a van just a work trailer [lucky to be half ton] and I like to get all the goss before spending $20k+on a vehicle. I'm only interested in a manual, I'm still not convinced on these auto 4b's. any horror story's with these Nissan's ?
cheers
jase
aussie18
aussie18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 06 Dec 2014, 12:19 pm

I won't swear on it but I think the 3L motor in the nissan patrols is the same as the ZD30 motor in the navara's.
I got one and it runs fine. from what I have read, the ZD30 3L is a good motor. you might get some info from this site.
http://www.navara.asia/index.php

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cueite Sat 06 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

sorry to put salt into the wound the 3l didnt have enough grunt to start with and the turbo didnt come in till the revs built upwitch left you flat footed at intersections and when you put a 2ton van on the back the fuel consumption is just about the same as the v8 were as the v8 you can spin the wheels it wants to get going that quick, the other reason i have come across too many of the 3l s with a blown motor they have a habit of poking a piston out the side maybe im just a 76 year old hoon but put your foot down even with the van on the back and it will sit you back and get a dirty look from the boss in the other seat cheers jono

cueite

Back to top Go down

Post by cueite Sat 06 Dec 2014, 3:10 pm

ps jase ive had nissans and toyotas both 4.2s and i get a better fuel cosumption with the v8 plus 180 lt fuel tanks = 1200 ks

cueite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 3:44 pm

if u r interested in a good 100 series l/c wagon with all the usual fruit --I have one for sale -- 250K ks --if interested PM me.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnieL Sun 07 Dec 2014, 2:38 pm

Ttrash wrote:Thanks again to those that have posted

Annie , martin & cuetie
Thanks

PS - Annie have done 3 trips to Warwick
      for 2 bits )

Good on you!  I've not ever had any luck there Sad

AnnieL