Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panning--Who uses one

+2
pilbarachad
Flouro
6 posters

Go down

Panning--Who uses one Empty Panning--Who uses one

Post by Guest Thu 15 May 2014, 5:43 pm

I seem to sell a heap of them to a lot of punters that visit my shop here in Ktown but I am wondering who actually uses one and why--what sort of pan do u prefer etc

is panning a waste of time or something u cant do without.

do u loam an area prior to dry blowing?

if u find a lot of very small nuggets--do u pan if not why not.

lets hear about your experience

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Panning--Who uses one Empty Re: Panning--Who uses one

Post by Flouro Thu 15 May 2014, 6:04 pm

Hi Oneday,

The only reason I use a pan is to pan out my species once I've ground them out,usually the specie produces the most amount of gold that we get on a trip and unfortunately we havn't picked one up this trip(1 week to go)

I preferred my old one which was a small one compared to what I'm using now,which is a green one with the spirals in the bottom for two thirds the base and one third with equal divisions

The gold does get separated from the rock but is a lot more difficult to retrieve, whereas the small black plain bottom pan was a lot simpler to handle and get the fines and could be seen a lot easier against the black

Ron,Sherri and Yoda(who now has her own fold out chair)

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Thu 15 May 2014, 6:05 pm

I often fill 20l buckets with dirt from areas where lots of small nuggs have been found and pan it of at home, good way to get a gold fix when you cant get out bush, generally get a few small specks but not enough to worry about keeping LOL- if you need a magnifying glass to see it and a snuffer bottle to pick it up it aint worth keeping  Very Happy 
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by koeh Thu 15 May 2014, 8:10 pm

Last time out detecting I found a .1g piece for a few hours walking around, so I grabbed the pan and panned up about a dozen decent pieces a couple you could nearly pick up if ya tried in one pan, but don't carry a sucker bottle so it got thrown on the ground again, so really only do it to stuff around

koeh

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 16 May 2014, 1:34 am

um fault comment
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 16 May 2014, 8:08 pm

albo wrote:um fault comment

What ?  
Anyway, I've never bothered as the areas I've gone to, there ain't no water and I'm not using my beer     lol!

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Tue 20 May 2014, 10:59 pm

Was testing some ground with a sub gram nuggie the other day to get the best settings for the detector the other day on some old scraped ground where we camped near a creek and where it was close to a lot of firewood.

It started to bucket down before I could settle the detector down and so not to lose the test piece, scooped the whole area up with the pick and ran back to camp to protect the machine from the rain.

The creek next to camp started to fill and the thought crossed my mind, why not pan the bugger out instead with a dry blowing pan a mate had.

And you guessed it, found the sub grammer AND a couple of other specks! The rain soon stopped, creek died to a trickle in minutes and my urge to pan did, just as quick.
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 May 2014, 9:43 pm

My last 2 weeks in WA last October I found a patch about 2 metres long by 1 metre wide on the very top of an ironstone covered hill, got about 20 odd species and when smashed up had about an ounce, I also panned the soil and got a lot of fine gold and its still sittin there waiting for further investigation, but I had to return to Vic so whats underneath I might not find out for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sat 24 May 2014, 6:20 pm

Squid Jig wrote: had to return to Vic so whats underneath I might not find out for a while.

It'll keep mate, if you need a caretaker, give us a hoy. wegr 
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down