Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED

+14
NuggieDreamer
Jack-Tar
Narrawa
albo
rocklobster
Nightjar
Inhere
AuHunter
martinjsto
fencejumper
araratgold
aussie18
Panther
Bignuggs
18 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED - Page 2 Empty Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED

Post by Bignuggs Sat 30 Nov 2013, 8:29 am

First topic message reminder :

This is bound to get some diehards talking but it grabbed my interest.  Now the ground in the vid clip is sandy but it's interesting to see how both machines compare.
Anyone know if this machine has been used on West Oz ground and how it compared with the 5000.

Last edited by Bignuggs on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED - Page 2 Empty Re: Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED

Post by Inhere Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:16 am

martinjsto wrote:that is new news inhere as they categorically stated that there will be no significant improvements for the minelab gpx in the near future, now they are releasing a new one next year? good stuff if is better and cheaper than the 5k and comparable to the ATX price, cool. competition is good and if it takes a garrett to get a new machine from them so be it. a lot on here have said about the handles breaking, the cord problems, the shaft issues the G/B button failing and connection issues in the loose wires inside the box, for $5000 plus you want something a bit more designed for its purpose,
No, they are not making a replacement for the 5000,(from what I have heard that will be a year away and a major departure from what we use now,
This one is what they call their new mid range detector, aimed right at the Garrett and looks much the same, seeing
they are both using all the plastic bits of their mine detectors.
This one is not just a knee jerk reaction to the Garrett, it has been planned for time, but maybe held off for awhile to see what the garrett could do.
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED - Page 2 Empty Re: Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED

Post by martinjsto Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:47 am

so if the garrett is no competition to the minelab or "half as good" why the response from minelab to the release of the ATX?, they just released a new machine that was suppose to be the ants pants and called it the xt3030 there is the new machine for ya and stated no significant improvements to the 5k foreseen in the near future. look to me more like a quick reprogram of the xt3030, re model it similar to the ATX with collapsible shaft and waterproofing, then hold off with the release to sell all their 5000, which will be a few year away yet. if not then all good, a new better machine for you to use that should also be priced comparatively. either way an improvement for us all.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 03 Dec 2013, 8:14 am

it is placed as bellow a 5000 but above a X-TERRA 705 Gold Pack and Eureka Gold, yet the ATX is to compete with the 5k and suggested (to be proven) as being better. the position of this machine seems to be to diminish the ATX to bellow a 5k
hmmm marketing strategy thats for sure, but a real improvement to whats available today?, not too sure on that. they even say it is below a 5k so why then would you buy it?
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 03 Dec 2013, 10:00 am

here is a review from goanna gold detectors in NSW. obviously not a WA test but good reading.

ATX Review by Bob Buss of Goanna Gold Detectors www.goannagolddetectors.com.au

The Garrett ATX Pulse Induction Metal Detector [All Terrain Xtreme] Report

The new Garrett ATX hit Australia’s shores this week & by next week the first customers will have their brand new machines. We, however have been very lucky to have access to a lender machine to reveal & demonstrate at our recent Goanna End of Season Muster held at Hill End NSW on the 2nd & 3rd November 2013. About 40 people gathered to be the first to see the new Garrett ATX. We had spent 2 days before the Muster testing the ATX in our test patch with buried targets at known depths. We test all our detectors in this patch so we know very well the depth capabilities, signal response & target location abilities of many different models. We approached the test without bias. We had already been privy to detailed explanation of the science & had heard verbal evidence of gold field tests conducted. We had also seen some air tests [which hold little practical use but can be useful in brand comparisons for testing individual aspects like response by same sized coils]. That is about as useful as these test are but buried target testing is different. Targets that have been buried for long periods, like ours are very good at assessing metal detectors because it is the closest thing to actual field conditions but still controllable. The bench mark Pulse Induction machine is the Minelab GPX 5000 so ultimately the testing had to be a comparison to see where the ATX lay compared to the GPX. As we only had access to the 11"DD [standard] coil for the ATX we were limited in our test parameters so we acknowledge that our testing is incomplete in regards to larger & smaller coils & we have not compared DD to DD or mono to mono coils either as we did not have access to them. We also note that the GPX 5000 is compatible with a vast range of after-market coils to enhance its performance whist the Garrett ATX only has 3 coils available & at this stage there is no after-market coil maker producing coils to increase the choice. However, the results we obtained from our test patch test were very surprising as the ATX passed every test we put to it. We even went as far as setting the GPX 5000 with an 8"x6" Nugget Finder mono into the GPXs Fine Gold setting to locate an extremely small 0.2gm nugget at 8". As expected the GPX located the target. Now, the surprise is that the ATX with its standard 11" coil also located the target.....that should raise an eyebrow....not bad for a standard coil.

Depth testing was limited because true depth testing [for maximum depths] should be done with large coils. Also, mono coils produce better depths. We had no access to large or mono coils for the ATX so we modified a test to see just how well the standard coil could go. We have a buried lead target at 18" which is about the equivalent of a 3oz nugget & the ATX detected it with no question that it had a target. Also....very good.

The designers of the ATX had changed the look of the standard DD coil. Instead of running the wires parallel to each other down the centre of the coil [giving the flat edge of the DD configuration], they have spread the 2 windings to create a sensitive inner ring by drawing the sensitive spots to the centre & away from the ends. It's very clever & clear evidence of thinking outside the box.... innovation at its best. The effect is that it has made this DD coil very sensitive, whereas historically, DD coils were know best for their stability, not their sensitivity.

Some other features of the ATX that are very good include: waterproofness to 3 metres [the whole machine!] , folds down for storage to just 20", constructed from Mil-spec carbon fibre casing, all cabling is contained internally so plugs can't be bumped & cables don't become caught or slap about creating audio noise, 2 year factory warranty, coil can be rotated 90 degrees to detect vertical surfaces [the operator is at the side of the coil instead of directly behind the coil..... this is important because large coils will detect the operator & any metal he may be carrying]. Staying out of the detection field prevents self-detection but more importantly if the user has a pacemaker or other precise electronic implant they should avoid the electromagnetic fields produced by metal detectors. The shaft can be shortened so the operator can detect the tops of high shelves on washouts. The ATX is highly resistant to EMI [Electromagnetic Interference] & is stable in & near sea water; making it far more usable in many different terrains for purposes other than gold detection.

What we didn't like was that the ATX runs on 8 AA batteries. A set of rechargeable batteries & charger are included however. The problem of AA batteries spread throughout the bush from the detectors of old is a problem still being picked up today. We didn't like the cramped internal space for the coil cable plug attachment. Anyone with thick fingers will struggle to get the fine pins on the waterproof coil plug lined up. We were also not sure about the durability of the "hinge" attachment arrangement of the coil to the shaft. There is a nylon screw to adjust the coil tension which will need a coin or a tool to make the adjustment.....didn't like that. Also, with the shaft at full extension the ATX was quite weighty.

In the field we spent approximately 5 hours detecting an area that had been well worked by other detectors, including GPX 5000s. We unearthed a metal target at 60 cm [approx 2ft] that should have been located, but was not. This was done with the same standard 11"coil. Very good results.

In conclusion, based on the testing thus far, we are delighted with the results. We believe this to be a serious "A" game contender in the top end Pulse Induction metal detector market. The final comparison must be price. Minelab GPX 5000 RRP $6595.....Garrett ATX.......$3399 or for Deepseeker Pack....$3999.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper Tue 03 Dec 2013, 11:13 am

martinjsto wrote:so if the garrett is no competition to the minelab or "half as good" why the response from minelab to the release of the ATX?, they just released a new machine that was suppose to be the ants pants and called it the xt3030 there is the new machine for ya and stated no significant improvements to the 5k foreseen in the near future. look to me more like a quick reprogram of the xt3030, re model it similar to the ATX with collapsible shaft and waterproofing, then hold off with the release to sell all their 5000, which will be a few year away yet. if not then all good, a new better machine for you to use that should also be priced comparatively. either way an improvement for us all.
mate by your post's you seem to be a little confused, the 3030 is a vlf made for relic hunters, the next one coming out from minelab is a entry level p.i designed for people traveling around and want a machine that is not very expensive. it's not suppose to replace the 3030 or be better than the gpx series, it is to fill a gap because people that want to detect in different enviroments (goldfields,parks,beaches) and have been saying they can't justify  spending $6k on a detector they won't be using that much ( and rightly so)
and you will find minelab have not just built this detector in the last couple of months it's been coming for a while, yes it's looking like it will be like the atx but that is because garret and minelab both seen a market that has not been filled up to now.
minelab announced all this info a couple of months ago.
just so you know i'm not a one eyed minelab user, I will use the best detector for the job i'm doing, that's why i'm interested in the garret for speci's
so it sounds like there's interesting times ahead

cheers fencejumper

Last edited by fencejumper on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : can't spell for siht)

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 03 Dec 2013, 11:46 am

thanks fencejumper, as I have said I am still learning and have a lot to learn and didnt realize the 3030 was a VLF only. cheers for clarifying the 3 machines for me. I didnt try to tar you with that brush of one eyed, but you have to admit there are some diehards that wont look at the ATX with open eyes.
nothing like competition to get the thinking caps on and if this is what minelab are doing it will only be good for us all. I only want to use the best machine that is stable in WA doesnt sound off on any EMI can handle hotrocks and find deep or shallow gold with minimum fiddling and doesnt have easy broken off or weak parts not too much to ask is it? Very Happy 

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Tue 03 Dec 2013, 1:48 pm

There will be a lot of bullschit floating around soon, so I better let you know that the new minelab mid sized detector based on their F3 mine detector has been out and testing for the past 2 years.

I stated else where that the garrett looks like being worth the money for what it can do but it will still be very interesting
to compare the garrett to the minelab. At the moment I could buy the garret.........but..........minelab has made a habit of being the best,  so........maybe.......I'll wait a bit.Wink
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:19 pm

Iv been a little negative on the prospecting side of things for the last few years due to available ground etc , but with newer technology - detectors & most gold producers cutting exploration due to cost of production & POG, maybe leases will dropped by some players ,the outlook will get better again , cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:21 pm

Hi All,

Inhere, how would you know if the F3 lookalike has been tested for 2yrs, are you talking shite or are you one of the M/L
cronies "spreading the word" for M/L

It's a big statement without the proof or any backup to your"story"

If you have been "involved with it's testing then how's about sharing some of your knowledge you have gained from "the testing

A little bit less of the "big" timing and a few more facts would be appreciated

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:39 pm

One thing for sure Jonathon Porter will put it through its paces & il be checking on his report ,wa ground hopefully , like him or dislike him , I reckon il heed his opinion ... at it all the time he is & he will only swing the best gear .
So come on big fella after some goes at it , share your test results , all ears mate , albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 03 Dec 2013, 3:35 pm

It was me, i was testing the F3, the F4 and the FFing others given to us testers to test....i remember testing one of the FFing things one arvo, when after digging for what felt like ages, there it was .....the weight of it in my hand and i knew i had a very large lump. Having not seen it yet, i started to wipe away the excess dirt from my hand to cast my eyes on this beauty when out of nowhere came this almighty BANG!!!!...it was the garbage truck dropping my otto out side in the wee hrs of the morning that woke me.

Dang it!!! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 03 Dec 2013, 3:49 pm

arr your a lucky one , my neighbours would love you then , all they get from me is the 6.00 am 24 empty stubby clash in the weely bin
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 4:01 pm

Hi Narrawa,

I think there is a lot of that going around lately....dreaming

Ron

PS: One day we "will" get some competition for M/L and there F3's and there 3030's....one day!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

Garrett Australia replied and here's what they have to say.

Hello Cliff,
This clip has a combination of beach and Gold hunting in QLD.
From 7:45 onwards is the gold hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmmhB6c2uQ

Here is another clip showing use in an ironstone test bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9e7y04JAIs

We are awaiting some videos showing use in WA, when they are ready they’ll be on the Garrett Australia YouTube channel.

Regards

Roy
Customer Support

GARRETT AUSTRALIA
4/54 Newheath Drive, Arundel, Gold Coast, QLD 4214
Tel: 1300 787-648 Fax: 1300 787-685
Email: support@garrettaustralia.com.au Web: www.garrettaustralia.com.au

Hello again Cliff.

Another source to keep your eye on is our Facebook page Which also has videos, discussions, news & reviews.

https://www.facebook.com/GarrettAustralia

Regards

Roy
Customer Support

GARRETT AUSTRALIA
4/54 Newheath Drive, Arundel, Gold Coast, QLD 4214
Tel: 1300 787-648 Fax: 1300 787-685
Email: support@garrettaustralia.com.au Web: www.garrettaustralia.com.au

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:15 pm

Cheers Cliff
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:04 pm

authere wrote:Hi All,

Inhere, how would you know if the F3 lookalike has been tested for 2yrs, are you talking shite or are you one of the M/L
cronies "spreading the word" for M/L

It's a big statement without the proof or any backup to your"story"

If you have been "involved with it's testing then how's about sharing some of your knowledge you have gained from "the testing

A little bit less of the "big" timing and a few more facts would be appreciated

Ron
Listen Ron, your the last one I need is to prove anything to, no sklin off my butt
If you believe or not. now run along and report to your cronies on the alphabet forum.Laughing

Last edited by Bignuggs on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake, no problems)
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:12 pm

previous cancelled due to not wanting to get in the middle of crossfire .... ha ha , lighten up blokes , we are in WA now , all good .

Last edited by albo on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ar bad comments deleted)
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:44 pm

Hi Inhere,

I have no affiliation with any forum in particular, I just wish people like you would quantify your statements so we don't have to listen to so much crap

End of rant

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:09 pm

ok first and only warning. lighten up guys and stop the personal shyte. this is a good post dont drag it down.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Tue 03 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm

albo wrote: previous cancelled due to not wanting to get in the middle of crossfire .... ha ha , lighten up blokes , we are in WA now , all good .
G'day albo, no worries with me mate, I pick you as a good ozzie gent ,that likes the odd tibble.
Not one of those people who should be nameless, that have bad manners hard wired into their DNA.Wink 

So I will whisper how I got to know that info. First off anyone reading my first post would know that
I have never even seen an F3, let alone test one, but I do know someone who has been testing it for that long.
From what I can gather from other people the Garrett does have things that could have me buy one.
I don't know how good the F3 style Minelab is, because that is something that people with manners never ask a tester.

The main reason I posted here, was I have learn't something, that without this knowledge, will ensure
we get to read heaps of crap posts.

It will all be known soon enough, I suspect.kwdf 
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 03 Dec 2013, 11:37 pm

I for one appreciate any info posted here guys, these are big financial investments and everyone should fully research all avenues b4 spending thousands of dollars on any machine.
no one should be heckled to reveal their sources or justify their knowledge, take it as what it is, given freely; and do your own research, make your own mind up then you cant blame anyone but yourself.
the garret is shaping up to at least be a game changer.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:36 am

I suppose the test between the 5000 and ATX will only highlight the strengths of the ATX using a dd coil, and the weaknesses of the 5000 using the dd coil, but at the end of the day the strength of the 5000 lies in the ability to run mono coils in hot ground, as we all know so there's really no surprises there.

A couple of things come to mind with the sort of testing on the vid, one is that nuggets buried in loose dirt would react differently to those buried in hard compact dirt, considering the halo effect and also the level of mineralisation, and of course the layers of mineralisation in the soil as well, these factors are the variables that will test the true performance of any machine.

Having said that though I think it would be a case of suck and see, the ATX is in the price range of a second hand Sd minelab anyway, as carried by some as a backup detector, so it could be a useful machine to carry and also be used on the beach etc.

The bloke doing the testing and talking was obviously a Garrett fan as he did not seem too supportive of the 5000 in the way he talked about it, wonder if he has ever detected in our conditions, maybe not, and the soil he was testing in looked more like sand to me not super hot Aussie red dirt, wonder how the tests would go here in our conditions?

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Garrett ATX versus New ML coming out next year THREADS MERGED - Page 2 Empty Re: Garret ATX versus new M/L coming out next year TREADS MERGED

Post by aussie18 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:10 pm

getting off topic a touch here but in the most recent GG/T mag I see Jack Lange's gold hunter detectors are advertising a Minelab F1A4 gold.
the ad reads: ex-defence machines modified to level of jack langes hot 3500! with some exciting advantages.
very deep performance but simple to use
at least as quite in bad ground than the p.i machine your using
sensitive 10" mono coil standard
complete kit to wear control box on belt or shoulder ... a light weight option
accepts any minelab mono or DD coil
new rechargeable battery set plus spare set, and charger with 12v to 240volt invertor
no more battery cables or regulators
volume control [no external boosters required] new ear phones
superior military anti-interference capability and control
excellent condition 12 months warranty on control box, guarantee of long-term full spare parts and repair service.
hard,light,carry case and bag
superb threshold mod. instruction manual with supplements for mods
hand-grip ground balance button
three position frequency mod and three position pulse timing mod [together they enhance depth on all nugget sizes]
gain control- choose the power level you need for quite or noisy soils.

now from what I can gather they are second hand modded machines amped up specifically for gold detecting.
i'd be interested in seeing how these machines compare with the new ATX or 5000's. I would not expect the same performance as either of those 2 detectors but if we are comparing the ATX/GPX5000 on price well as a entry level detector $2275 for top of the range is almost half the cost of the top of range ATX.
may also be a option as back up detector to those lucky enough to already have the 5k.
I have no affiliation with the above but does anyone know anything about them ?
cheers
jase
aussie18
aussie18

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:44 pm

the newsletter is out from the prospectors patch, I am not affiliated with them in any way but FYI they are now selling all their minelab hire equipment. gpx5000 and gpx4500 with i believe 2 yr factory warranty prices $4700 for the 5000 and $3900 for the 4500, free postage australia wide. be quick cus as as soon as they sell them and restock with Garrett we can hire a ATX. Very Happy 

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:53 pm

aussie18 wrote:getting off topic a touch here but in the most recent GG/T mag I see Jack Lange's gold hunter detectors are advertising a Minelab F1A4 gold.
the ad reads: ex-defence machines modified to level of jack langes hot 3500! with some exciting advantages.
very deep performance but simple to use
at least as quite in bad ground than the p.i machine your using
sensitive 10" mono coil standard
complete kit to wear control box on belt or shoulder ... a light weight option
accepts any minelab mono or DD coil
new rechargeable battery set plus spare set, and charger with 12v to 240volt invertor
no more battery cables or regulators
volume control [no external boosters required] new ear phones
superior military anti-interference capability and control
excellent condition 12 months warranty on control box, guarantee of long-term full spare parts and repair service.
hard,light,carry case and bag
superb threshold mod. instruction manual with supplements for mods
hand-grip ground balance button
three position frequency mod and three position pulse timing mod [together they enhance depth on all nugget sizes]
gain control- choose the power level you need for quite or noisy soils.

now from what I can gather they are second hand modded machines amped up specifically for gold detecting.
i'd be interested in seeing how these machines compare with the new ATX or 5000's. I would not expect the same performance as either of those 2 detectors but if we are comparing the ATX/GPX5000 on price well as a entry level detector $2275 for top of the range is almost half the cost of the top of range ATX.
may also be a option as back up detector to those lucky enough to already have the 5k.
I have no affiliation with the above but does anyone know anything about them ?
cheers
jase
Hi jase, they were selling these things by the pallet at a couple of our auctions for peanuts.
I would be very careful before I bought one of these detectors (modified by someone)
There is a guy up there that was doing mods and I hear stuffed up a 4500 owned by a
relative of a well known prospector.

From my interaction with jack, I would suggest you would be much better off buying a s/h
GP with that $2275.
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next