Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added

+8
Biggest Kev
matelot
Stingray
pilbarachad
AuHunter
goldstrijk
Flying kiwi
Brettis87
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added Empty Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added

Post by Guest Tue 23 Jul 2013, 6:19 am

while I've still got the means and will power thought I'd go in the opposite direction.

will head down to some of the old happy hunting grounds that I have never been to before.

There seems to b a few prospectors in the area so u never know...

Last time I was there was about 20 years ago--SOLDIERS SECRET-TOP CAMP-well u get the drift..
I wont be digging the mullock heaps--others can do that -but I will b scouting around the place....

hope to leave about Wednesday (24-7)--if theres anyone in my area who wants to tag along or is down in
that neck of the woods then let me know--i.m a coming...

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday monday on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added Empty Re: Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added

Post by Brettis87 Tue 23 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

Mate, you're all over the joint lately...
Good luck!

Brettis87

Back to top Go down

Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added Empty Re: Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added

Post by Flying kiwi Tue 23 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

lucky bugger those 2 spots are on my bucket list leave some in the gorund for me will ya...

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added Empty Re: Ashburton trip--trip #4

Post by goldstrijk Tue 23 Jul 2013, 5:30 pm

Oneday, nice country out there
Was there late eighties working for Hammersly Iron
Soldiers Secrete had a caretaker then and I believe the Shell Oil Company had the lease
I was just starting out then with a Garrett A2B Groundhog
Good luck with your trip
Goldstrijk

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Jul 2013, 6:20 pm

all go for Wednesday--heap of food-water-and all the other bits and pieces that go with a trip --
mind u I haven't unpacked the ute from the last venture.
just stocked up on a bit more tucker and extra 20-(60l) litres of water.

couldn't find a blanket in the shops so I got another sleeping bag from Kmart as a blanket--$17 cheap and its even got a zip--plus got the hot water bottle--yep goin soft..

Remember there's no sheilas out there that would want to cuddle up to keep me feet warm...

so will catch everyone when I get back--

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 5:14 pm

well that was a trip into the never never--no humans-no donkeys apart from me-no camels-ne dingoes.

went to Dead Finish and checked out that place for a couple of days then headed up along the dirt road to Wyloo, but all along the way we stayed of the beaten track to look for new ground with absolutely no success--

That's right zilch--nothing but that's not to say that we wouldn't give it another go for a 5 day stint in one area.

There is a heap of quartz and every other indicator out there to say that's its just a mater of time befor someone has the luck to nail a new patch.

Just opposite the turn off on the opposite side of the road to the truck stop at the Onslow turn off theres a track marked ROAD CLOSED--that cuts about 40ks of the trip --just slow down for the very dangerous creek crossings. 4 in total..u will damage your vehicle if u hit them too hard.

checked out some interesting country on our way through to Koolkine and Wyloo stations but to no avail.

Went over to the Belvedeer mine founded back in the 1930's--how on hell did they ever get into that country , I never know but they we adventurous and bloody determined. I lift my hat off to those old timers...by all accounts they found a fair bit of gold considering all the junk lying around--

to b continued...

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 6:26 pm

what happened to the rest of this vehicle at dead finish?
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 012-3

theres a couple of ways to get there--from Ktown-u can turn left at the truck bay near the onslow turn off--cuts about 40ks off and then u meet up on the highway again--turn left and keep driving with a cut lunch and a 6 pack to the Ashburton Turnoff--turn right and keep goin to the yards--turn right--need anymore directions PM me..

Gullies galore and yes they all should have something to yield--species but hard work--in the distance u can see me mate--
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 013-1

more to come

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 6:36 pm

from here we ventured along our merry way--by the way we camped in an area about half a k away from the main activity--theres a fair few camping places in the area including one with half a shovel.. to bury all ya junk.

David D in Gold and Ghost didn't miss to many spots..including this one refering to the can on the hill--

Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 019-2
if u read G&G like I do u will pick up on it and buggered if I was goin to climb that hill--its bloody high and steep.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 6:55 pm

couldn't believe this field of color on our adventure across a clay pan and came across this see of purple--absolutely stunning..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 020-1

The colors were in full bloom--spectacular--even if they are a pest.
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 031

heading back down the dusty road towards Wyloo which is another way out if u didn't want to head back the way u came in..
we headed towards Bellvedeer mine south of Paulsons and were amazed at the aAshburton trip--trip #4--photos added 022mount of drilling out there by Northern Resources..

this area had about 20 drill holes in the immediate vicinity...plus they left a fuel truck and a D9 dozer out there for our use--they must have known we were coming..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 032

There was a whole heap of rubbish lying around this place as well--but interesting..we camped here but nothing to show..the workings are limited to 2 valleys--buggered if I know how anyone in there right mind could have ventured into such a place..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 023

me mate who believes in divine intervention and a man of the cloth--it was hard watching me P's and Q's but I reckon I did alright--I wasn't struck down by lightning and lived to see another day.
While we were trying to rouse the ghosts to point us in the right direction we came across this work of 1930's art deco..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 021-1
the artist must have been thinking oneday I'll ride out of here in style or he was simply missing his family--who knows..

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday monday on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 7:19 pm

i'm always amazed how these old timers never wipe each other out with some of the mine shafts and diggings u find around the place and our trip was no different..even a bit of rock work at the entrance of the mine..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 024

and inside the shaft --god knows were it ended up..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 025-1

some one back in the 1930 decided to do a bit of revegetation--so they did care about the environment and put this half a 44 to good use..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 030

The whole area had outcrops of Quartz and Ironstone schist..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 034

This fella was the luckiest turkey to walk the outback coz I had me rifle ready to go--but I could hear cattle in close proximity..i'll get him next time..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 033

the adventure goes on.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 7:30 pm

Paulsens mine--yep alive and well-not that we seen many people --actually 5 to b exact...and thanks for the water and ice at the camp.
About 120 odd people work there round the clock on a 1 on 1 off roster--not bad..but its underground..
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added 036

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday monday on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by AuHunter Sun 28 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm

Thanks for the post. Great photos. Better luck next time on the Gold front. Cheers

AuHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:42 pm

Awesome photos Ray, looks like you've been having a ball lately.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:46 pm

thought i'd better do something befor I need a hip replacement or 2 new knees or whatever attacks us old people when we get close to 60..that was about 1100 ks.

planning me next adventure--Wednesday is lookin good..but were..??

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:57 pm

just encase u forgot to ask --we were using a 11" round and I was swinging a 16" NF round mono which was giving me the right royal run around till I unscrewed the lead and blew it clean that sort of settled it down...some areas were great-- quiet as a mouse then some areas she wanted to be in a disco with the girls--screaming and playing up like a 16 year old.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Sun 28 Jul 2013, 9:06 pm

Hi Monday - did you try getting into Top Camp? I remember it as being very rugged country, with an amazing old water race put in by the old timers.

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:34 am

Great photos Oneday. Great country too.

Regards Roger. pirat 

matelot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2013, 7:10 am

Hi Stingray
didn't get to top camp--was looking for new ground--and theres plenty out there--just got to find gold in it.

was trying to get to 4T but didn't have the right map--will buy one on Monday to b sure and maybe plan another trip down that way again..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Tue 30 Jul 2013, 9:35 pm

Hi OneDay, certainly is good country that has produced some very nice gold - good luck if you get down that way again.

Regards
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Wed 31 Jul 2013, 3:37 pm

Thanks Oneday, awesome pics and story. I must do a trip back up to the Pilbara, but next time I'll take the detector.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by picknshovel Wed 31 Jul 2013, 6:51 pm

“A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds.”
― Francis Bacon, The Essays

thanks for pic's and story Oneday, Eventually just maybe, Lady Luck may smile on you, just make sure ur listening
when she does, reminds me of the fella's sitting on the Londonderry lode, nekminit...you wouldn't believe it...

keep up the good work/life
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added Londonderryhole
picknshovel
picknshovel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 7:15 pm

yeah time will tell--have a couple of great guys who r as keen as hell and don't mind doing the hard slog--plus they r always lookin for new ground..and they can cook a mean meal as well.--i'm learning fast

Ashburton here we come again--hopefully leave Friday 2-8-2013--7 day stint.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat Thu 01 Aug 2013, 5:55 pm

Hi Oneday,
The pics bring back memories of my old stamping grounds in the Ashburton Region in the 80's & Top Camp/Soldiers Secret was a regular visit. Wandarry was another spot that gave a little colour as well.
Soldiers Secret was up for sale a few years back, lease by a bloke down in Perth but don't know who's got it now.
Also the Top Camp lease has changed hands..use to be Glen Archer an acquaintance of mine.
I have a few pics on the 'Gold Detecting' forum found here:
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

P.S. I hope Cliff doesn't mind me advertising this forum!!!!Wink Wink 

Ted

HAVE WHEELS WILL TRAVEL
Ashburton trip--trip #4--photos added Signature
Topcat
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 01 Aug 2013, 6:38 pm

Hi Ted,

No problems with the forum link.  I'm a great believer in sharing knowledge in this game.

Cheers
Cliff

PS. to everyone.  but I hate facebook  Very Happy

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by krazycaptain Sat 03 Aug 2013, 7:54 pm

Yes as posted by others, great photos and it also brings back memories when I would go out there with Max Parsons from Tom Price. Now that was in the early 80's and no air conditioner in the vehicles then.
Remember driving through from Wyloo when we came across a few stockman pushing along some cattle and they refused a cold drink from the then metal Esky. What would we do now without an Engel or similar?
Well wishing you luck. My wife and I are prospecting at present here in NT and will head out to Emerald Springs in the morning.
Happy hunting and best wishes detecting.
Cheers
Captain
krazycaptain
krazycaptain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next