Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with the term sluice

2 posters

Go down

Help with the term sluice  Empty Help with the term sluice

Post by farm boy Sat 21 Oct 2017, 8:27 pm

Hi folks

A mate was north of kal and said he found some old sluicing work on a lake up there. Whats this sluicing about and would sucha spot be worth a swing with a detector for some nuggies?

Cheers FB

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Help with the term sluice  Empty Re: Help with the term sluice

Post by Wedgetail Sat 28 Oct 2017, 9:15 am

Sluicing was done whenever there was water in any of those salt lakes around Kal etc. and it would have yielded good gold. But be wary that not all such "wetwork" was done for gold alone. Other "wet jobs" include "puddlers". Some of these wet jobs were done for other minerals. Two spring to mind, one is on south wetern Lake Yindarlogooda and the other is "Bindi" south Lake Carey. I can't remember what mineral/metal they were chasing but it wasn't gold.

Detecting on salt lakes has two big issues. Firstly, most if not all have been detected for decades by good operators so most of "the good stuff" is gone. Next, GPZ 7000 and SDC2300 don't perform very well on salt lakes, in fact they are poor due to their better sensitivity. The problem with "sensitivity" is that it's sensitive to EVERYTHING - including salt and high ironstone values. You'll need GPX with a "salt coil" on it to get the best result on a lake or use an earlier machine in the SD series with a DD coil on it.

We had good gold years ago on Lake Annean, Lake Carey, Lake Austin. The problem with Austin and Annean is that there are 1000s of ounces of gold sitting in 'em but the drop off from the solid gound into the lake bed is very steep in both cases. I've done a lot of research on Lake Austin and it's DEEP - 98 feet of sticky, wet clay soil to solid rock at the northern end and 12 feet at the southern end!! Carey is comparatively shallow clay cover after which you're on bedrock so there's still a chance. A quad bike is good idea but even they get bogged in that shite brown clay that sticks like baby poop! clown

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by farm boy Sun 29 Oct 2017, 1:49 pm

Cheers wedgetail. Cant br certain it was for gold the sluicing but i imagine so. Hoping to head out for a swing there soon. It was my impression the sdc 2300 was pretty good on salt?????
Cheers fb

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down