Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilbara salt lakes

2 posters

Go down

Pilbara salt lakes Empty Pilbara salt lakes

Post by pilbarachad Wed 25 Jan 2012, 6:54 pm

Just wandering if anyone has detected any pilbara salt lakes/mud flats such as around Balla Balla? Ive read a few very brief old posts on other forums about salt lakes and Balla Balla in particular, but not much is said at all. I even read about someone panning gold in the mangrove creek there aswell! What would one look for when working such areas-should i aim to stay around the edges near your more typical gold bearing ground? am i likely to find anything further out? Do i stick to the salty ground or head further out into the mudflats adjoining the mangroves? I know absolutaly nothing about this type of detecting so would appreciate all comments. Anyway im hoping to check the area out in the next few weeks if anyone up this way wants to come along.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Pilbara salt lakes Empty Re: Pilbara salt lakes

Post by rarebreed Wed 25 Jan 2012, 9:06 pm

Use to detect out on the Nickle River salt Flats in Karratha 10+ years ago, found a bit of gold out on the flats there, i believe people are still finding gold out there even now.
It can be pretty hard to detect on the salt, we use to use DD coils out on the flats, its amazing how far the gold had washed into the salt pans from the nearest "likely" looking ground.

I would def try the ground out there, id be looking at water courses flowing into the salt flats from close by hills, you still look for your basic indicators quartz dirty or dark coloured (blue/black) ironstone and usually you get a brown/purple sort of schist with it as well, these of course will be further up off the flats on the edges and in little islands around the edges of the flats.

Hope this helps you out, Good luck with it mate let us know how you go out that way.

Cheers

rarebreed

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Thu 26 Jan 2012, 7:49 am

Thanks rarebreed. Im hoping to get out there in a couple of weeks, ill let you know how i go.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jan 2012, 8:23 am

bring a boat and wateerproof detector

still rainin

regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content