Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fault lines

4 posters

Go down

Fault lines Empty Fault lines

Post by techtonic Fri 13 Jan 2017, 2:19 pm

Gday.
My first post after joining the forum.
Really good info on here and a great site.
I wanted to ask, how much importance is put on fault lines when researching spots??
I have googled this same subject with minimal answers.
Does gold exist away from these "linear structures" or should I make it a compulsory requirement
when researching patches of interest??
Thank you in advance.
G

techtonic

Back to top Go down

Fault lines Empty Re: Fault lines

Post by mada Fri 13 Jan 2017, 8:09 pm

Welcome aboard mate. Interesting topic I hope many contribute.

I did a lot of research on the geo maps and found a sizable fault line on greenstone. The importance of this fault line is yet to be determined. I bit the bullet and this is what I found. A quartz fault line running north east'sih. adjacent to very large hill with a lot of different kind of other rocks. Unfortunately I only spent an hour there was I just wanted to see it. I will be going back in the next couple of weeks to spend more time investigation.

This fault line runs for over 250 meters and I saw broken continuations many meters either side. I am kind of hoping it is worth spending time on it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Tue 17 Jan 2017, 6:13 am

Hi G & Mada

When it comes to fault lines they are quite important in the prospecting world.
Put simply they are the seed that bears the tree that bears the Golden fruit.
Anywhere a fault occurs it creates enormous pressure and heat, by its action of shifting and grinding,  this can release the gold that is minutely disseminated throughout the whole area and concentrate it into ore channels, but keep in mind that the Associated country rocks must first be gold bearing rock types.
If you look at a 1:250.000 geomap of any known goldfield you will see that most mining is contained within or close to the known fault lines.
Those mineral rich zones can span out many kilometers from the actual fault, but are very rarely right on the fault itself.
Think of a large pine tree,  and it's structure,
You want to be searching not on the actual trunk of the tree but on the branches leading out from it.
And especially where those branches meet the trunk, they are usually where some of the highest gold concentrations occur.

There are lots of good geology videos on YouTube,  some of them dealing with what I have said here.
I think I have posted some up on the forum a while ago.

G ~ your photo shows a quartz blow or reef not a true fault line, but it does show all the caricaturistics of possibly bearing gold.
I would be walking out from it say 100-300 metres and detecting along the same bearing as the reef,  searching those branches of the tree not the trunk.
Thousands of ounces have been found doing just that,  don't rush it.

Pete

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mada Wed 18 Jan 2017, 7:46 pm

Thanks for your reply Pete, and very well explained. By this time next week I am hoping to spend a lot of time on it. Hope I find what I am looking for lol.

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by techtonic Sat 21 Jan 2017, 5:03 pm

Yeh thanks for the replies guys.
A very good explanation.
I've noticed on the 250000 layer that there are much more fault lines drawn in, compared to the official Geoview linear structures. I'll assume that the map has some age to it.
Time to head back to that Pine tree.
G

techtonic

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 21 Jan 2017, 7:48 pm

mada wrote:Welcome aboard mate. Interesting topic I hope many contribute.

I did a lot of research on the geo maps and found a sizable fault line on greenstone. The importance of this fault line is yet to be determined. I bit the bullet and this is what I found. A quartz fault line running north east'sih. adjacent to very large hill with a lot of different kind of other rocks. Unfortunately I only spent an hour there was I just wanted to see it. I will be going back in the next couple of weeks to spend more time investigation.

This fault line runs for over 250 meters and I saw broken continuations many meters either side. I am kind of hoping it is worth spending time on it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That quartz ridge wouldn't be near Kirkalocka station would it ?? it looks familiar.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Sun 22 Jan 2017, 10:08 am

Cliff, are you thinking of the big one you can see from the road mate?

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 22 Jan 2017, 1:36 pm

CrazyPete wrote:Cliff,  are you thinking of the big one you can see from the road mate?

Yep, that's the one.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mada Sun 22 Jan 2017, 7:02 pm

Yep not much further north there are a few, its funny after awhile they all start looking the same. lol

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down