Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I sell a Gold Specimen?

4 posters

Go down

How do I sell a Gold Specimen? Empty How do I sell a Gold Specimen?

Post by farm boy Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:21 pm

Hi All

I have some small gold specimens, containing browny quartz. All in all I have 3 specimens, each weighing about 5g. So a total weight of about 15g.

Problem is no gold buyer wants to buy them it seems.

Can anyone tell me how I might be able to process the specimens so I can sell the gold. Or recommend a buyer who might buy them.

Someone mentioned dollying them and panning them - Im just worried I will lose the gold!

Cheers

FB

farm boy

Back to top Go down

How do I sell a Gold Specimen? Empty Re: How do I sell a Gold Specimen?

Post by martinjsto Tue 07 Apr 2015, 3:02 pm

just smash them into dust, the finer you get it the more you will recover, pan off slowly and carefully using dish washing liquid then if you can melt it into a button,
good luck

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by farm boy Tue 07 Apr 2015, 3:28 pm

Hey thanks Martin.

When you say use dishwashing liquid, do I just mix up soapy water to do my panning? is that what you mean? but use dish washing liquid to make the soap?

Cheers and sorry - very much an amateur at this

FB

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 07 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm

using dish washing liquid or any soap for that matter removes the meniscus or surface tension off the surface of the water allowing the fine gold to drop to the bottom and not float away, just take your time and vibrate the pan well, the gold will sink, it can get difficult to separate any black sand from the gold but a magnet can help there. also pan into another pan or bowl not a stream that way you can go through it a few times to ensure you didnt lose any gold.
good luck
martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by norwest gold Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:07 pm

should probably mention you only need a couple drops of dishwashing liquid for it to work otherwise you could end up with a whole lot of bubbles.
I set up a account at the mint and I take everything into them nuggets and species, costs $220 refining fee doesn't matter if you put in 1 oz or 100oz same fee all the time they refine your gold and pay you gold price on settlement day also pay you for the silver content as well and best of all money is in the bank in about 4 days.

norwest gold

Back to top Go down

Post by edwood Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:54 am

Will the perth mint take the species as they are or should I still dolly them up, norwest gold?
I have a few the same.

And in your opinion am I better off at the mint or a different reputable gold buyer, as they don't charge a refining fee?

edwood

Back to top Go down

Post by norwest gold Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:21 am

The mint will take them as they are but it's up to you if you crush up first then at least you have a better idea of what you have weight wise before you sell it and less chance of disappointment for you, because sometimes when you estimate how much is in a specie your estimates can be way off.
I crushed a rock the other week that I found with the zed it weighed about a kilo had good visible gold in it and it screamed with the zed I estimated/hoped it held a half ounce after crushing and panning it I got 6 grams.
You may find other buyers don't give you the spot price they may buy at a discounted rate as they are taking the risk on purity of gold and they have to make money too and at the end of the day gold is only worth whatever the spot price is on the day.
Hope this helps
Mick

norwest gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down