Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toyota headlight--dull as--

4 posters

Go down

Toyota headlight--dull as-- Empty Toyota headlight--dull as--

Post by Guest Sun 26 Oct 2014, 6:13 pm

yep I am sick to death of looking about 50' in front of me car at night so looking for suggestions on replacing the original headlights with something that gives of great light on L & H beam.

I currently have a couple of Hella 4000 spotties and an LED bar on the bull bar but trust me these headlights have to go.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

so if anyone has done any mods to their headlights let me know.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Toyota headlight--dull as-- Empty Re: Toyota headlight--dull as--

Post by Banjo Sun 26 Oct 2014, 7:49 pm

Ray the old way was to throw some H4 inserts at them and put relays on low/high and put some decent Halogen globes in there but with all the new technology with HID/LED the old school Halogen's look rather dull and yellow compared to the new kids on the block and also the H4 insert is only efficient at properly projecting the light to a certain wattage and after that its just a waste .

So a lot of people think ok, well I will throw a cheap HID kit off Ebay that's designed to fit the H4 inserts in there and bobs ur uncle BUT the reflector in the H4 inserts aren't designed to cope with all this new light and yes they are brighter but you drive around blinding everyone because they aren't a proper projected HID set up that has cut off points to stop blinding on coming traffic. As well as this they are illegal because they don't have a solenoid to control the cut off point.

So the next step is to go full HID projected and now we start talking big bucks and still may not be fully legal because I know in NSW to be fully legal you need a washer /wiper on your headlight lens BUT they may go easy on you because at least you have made the attempt not to blind oncoming traffic.

So in closing, I have no idea which way to go lol

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sun 26 Oct 2014, 7:57 pm

The answer is simple, buy a Nissan. Laughing
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Sun 26 Oct 2014, 8:06 pm

I think any halogen light is going to look piss poor when you have the LED bar fired up, the answer may be to throw some H4 inserts in, relays, something bigger than 60/55's, be ok for cruising the main street of Karratha at night on low beam :)

here is an old thread on a Nissan forum that explains a lot
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Oct 2014, 6:56 am

ONLY trouble Pete is that if u brack down in a nissan u usually stay broken down.

we all run with toyotas up here so it becomes a family thing so to speak.. lol!

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Mon 27 Oct 2014, 8:32 am

Yes Ray, pre computer Nissan or Tojo is the way to go. Bit of air, diesel and compression and you're away.
Only the other day someone in 2010 Nissan got stuck out Ayers Rock way with computer going haywire. $2k+ for tow, possible $6K to put everything right.
Back to your subject;
Your headlights being dull could be an earth problem? Have you removed your earth straps and cleaned them up, or run extra new ones. Engine to chassis, battery to chassis.
Remember the old VW's were notorious for this.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:16 am

Ray if you go the H4 Halogen 90/130W route you'll need something like a NARVA driving light harness or you'll fry up your original wiring loom.

I'd keep the LED light bar for the close spred if it's a combo style unit (has floods on its outer edges.

Then there is the is the HID option to start bushfires at night. Check out this guys setup...

NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Mon 27 Oct 2014, 8:42 pm

You really do have to be careful you don't go too overboard with HID like old mate in the vid otherwise all you will do is make night driving a headache from road signs reflecting the light back at you.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 31 Oct 2014, 9:01 pm

Banjo wrote:I think any halogen light is going to look piss poor when you have the LED bar fired up, the answer may be to throw some H4 inserts in, relays, something bigger than 60/55's, be ok for cruising the main street of Karratha at night on low beam :)
Ray I think Banjo has the right idea. You can get the 100W H4 conversion kit (two lamps with globes) that will simply replace your original lights. They are hassle free to install and give sufficient light for any speed you're likely to be travelling in the Troopy. If you get too much light on high beam as soon as you have to dip when meeting another vehicle you feel like you're left in the dark. The H4's have a good low beam as well. You should already have headlamp relays as standard but as Peter suggested it might be worth checking out the earth wires or just add another earth to the headlight circuit.
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down