Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser

3 posters

Go down

Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser Empty Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 11:43 am

The last couple of Years I've been using Ozi Explorer & Garmin Software, I was getting the sh#ts with the Laptop on the spare seat so I started researching Lap top mounts.. Now there's shite loads of different products out there but I was after something solid, Universal Ram Mount looked alright but it was expensive so I said stuff it.. Checked out my metal offcuts in the shed & took some measurements in the Cab of the Cruiser.. What I wanted was something solid to mount the laptop off & I did not want to drill holes into my Car so here's what I came up with.. I got 25x25x3mm angle the same length as the 2 mounting points of the passenger seat drilled in 2 holes same diameter as the seat bolts, Then I found length of 75x25 box section sat it vertical on the angle up to the Grab rail & welded 25x25 angle on top so it hooks over the grab rail.. There was a bit of angle grinding & welding involved but had it done in couple of hours.. Gave it a lick of Killrust & Enamel on top to give it sparkle & Now it's bolted in it's solid, Plenty room for passenger as well.
What I stuffed up on was bolting the RAM-B-101U mount horizontally instead of vertical which I will do by bolting angle to the 75x25 then the mount will take the weight downward & make it more stable over the rough roads. I'm waiting on a RAM-201U-D from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Any way I hope this helps someone out..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser Empty Re: Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

and u still have enough room for the mrs--bugger--
lol!
great little set up by the way--also looks very solid !

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser Empty Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser

Post by albo Fri 12 Apr 2013, 4:37 pm

great setup & i was intending to do it myself till a so called expert said the hard drives dont stand up to the bumps and corregations when you are on the move ,any others done it & had problems ? could be bs & i may try it again.
cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser Empty Re: Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2013, 6:14 pm

Hello Albo, I've broken a couple of hard drives in the past & each time I knew they would of shite them selves, Once the Laptop fell of the Bed Too much bouncing Laptop Mount for Toyota Landcruiser 452991977 & it slammed the floor Embarassed The other time was from a fist Shocked Still worked but very slow Kept making a knocking noise..
I think the Hard drive will be fine on the Roads here in WA. If it was heavily Corrugated I will put it away but as for driving steady exploring it will be fine I reckon. Will make sure I have all my Data Backed up on a external Hard drive just to be safe. Most of the new smaller HD have USB 3 for faster transfer rate & shock proof protection.. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 12 Apr 2013, 6:22 pm

haahaaha , gold in ya bed buddy ... stick with that one lol!
thats right keep it down on the bim bams if the stubbies take over , all good .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM Sun 14 Apr 2013, 6:07 pm

We have experienced the same with the laptop so I have purchased an I-Pad and downloaded HEMA maps, which they advise will do the same as the laptop. Only problem I can see is that tengraph doesn't work on an I-Pad so will use the laptop for that purpose.
Anybody else have an I-Pad and have used it in the bush successfully.
Joan (Little Gem)

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 19 Apr 2013, 8:10 pm

Snazzy setup gringo. was taking a good look at the board mounting. Maybe there's a flexible mount you can get, it looks to rigid for the laptop. There must be something available that can be fixed between the mount and the backboard that will take some shock out of it.
Ipads, I know nothing about them. Can they take an independent USB broadband wireless stick ?

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 19 Apr 2013, 8:29 pm

Maybe check this mob out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down