Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MELTING YOUR GOLD..

+5
rocklobster
Dozer
Stingray
Tributer
snapper
9 posters

Go down

MELTING YOUR GOLD.. Empty MELTING YOUR GOLD..

Post by Guest Wed 06 Aug 2014, 4:26 pm

HERES A VID THAT MIGHT TAKE YAH FANCY...

cheap and easy to use,,

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

MELTING YOUR GOLD.. Empty Re: MELTING YOUR GOLD..

Post by snapper Wed 06 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm

Haha Ray, think I posted that clip under prospecting tips a few weeks back.
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Aug 2014, 5:45 pm

sorry mate I didn't check--

I was just surfing and got a link

looks good all the same.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Tributer Wed 06 Aug 2014, 6:08 pm

I looked into it a bit and me thinks that rather then spend $200 on a unit you are probably better off buying some heat bricks and shaping them to make your own oven and drilling holes for the gas inlets. You can buy the crucibles and ingot moulds and fluxes from china or USA sellers on fleecebay fairly cheaply.  You can even buy 1 and 5 kilo ingot moulds on fleabay if you have a few kilos of element 79 to refine.
cheers Tributer
Tributer
Tributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Thu 07 Aug 2014, 9:44 pm

Turns out I made one last weekend for fun using an old fire brick from an old pottery kiln. That was real easy to make. I didn't have a crucible though so I ground out an old plug that fits in the bottom of those big gold crucibles to make a small 'clay' crucible. Only had one old primus torch but even with that crude set-up and with a bit of flux I could get the gold fines to melt and bead up but not flow together. I am sure two torches will do the job easily, especially with a proper crucible.

I was going to pour the gold into a sinker mould if it melted. But then again maybe I should make up a few pure gold jigheads and flog them to some crazy rich fisho? They would actually work really really well….

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Dozer Fri 08 Aug 2014, 5:53 am

Perhaps these might be considered as well.

Dozer

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Flying kiwi Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:55 pm

my old man told me a story of his mate mining up in the Yukon back in the 70s poured 50oz of gold into a galvanised pipe fitting, the gold reacted with the zink and the bar went pink  Embarassed  was only good for a door stop after that as no one would buy his pink gold bar as ya cant reverse the process.....

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Fri 08 Aug 2014, 5:34 pm

i read somewhere thick bone will work for a while don't know about the porosity but, hate for it to all leach away.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri 08 Aug 2014, 8:07 pm

Hey Kiwi,
If you still have that door stop I'll show you how to extract the gold.  Wink 
As you all know gold is indestructible...
Gold can be recovered in a separate operation, concentrated acid is added in a digester reactor to dissolve the zinc or aluminium, leaving behind pure gold.
***Hazard***
Hydrogen cyanide is produced during this process when the acid is introduced to dissolve the aluminium or zinc.

Last edited by Nightjar on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info)

MELTING YOUR GOLD.. Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanFox Mon 11 Aug 2014, 8:44 am

oneday wrote:HERES A VID THAT MIGHT TAKE YAH FANCY...regards
oneday

G'Day oneday, here is a bit of info for anyone looking at melting a bit of gold to chew over.... I don't know how you blokes would go getting delivery to WA, but anything is possible if you have enough money :-)

Field Furnace Refractories P/L
8 Arnott Place
Wetherill Park, (Sydney) NSW 2164
Ph 02 9729 1799
http://www.fieldfurnace.com.au ---->>>>(EDIT: I left the AU off this link)<<<<----

If you speak to Lee you will find him extremely helpful.

Insulation Bricks - size 230mm x 115mm x 75mm - this brick is a little like Hebel Block, except it is more resistant to abrasion and wear. It can be cut to size using an old hand saw and shaped using a die grinder and masonry stones. $9/brick.

Ceramic Wool - this is a high temp insulation wool that you use to line the inside of a container to insulate the container. Offcuts are available from Field Furnace Refractories P/L.

Furnace Coat - This is a product you mix with water and trowel on over the ceramic wool to stop the wool being eroded away by flame turbulence and temperature. The Furnace Coat is good for 1910 degree celsius. Supplied in 1Kg pail for $50

You can make molds by lining Ceramic Wool with Furnace Coat. If, as an example, you are artistic and capable, you can make a mold to any design you want and pour custom jewellery.

Field Furnace Refractories use a small family company called Paul's Express for deliveries on the NSW coast up into SE Qld and to parts of the NSW New England area. 0417 483 943. I don't know how that helps you blokes in WA though. I think there are some courier companies in NSW who know where WA is though!  Razz
UrbanFox
UrbanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down