Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rooly and Trooly touch sensitive Coils

2 posters

Go down

Rooly and Trooly touch sensitive Coils Empty Rooly and Trooly touch sensitive Coils

Post by Bignuggs Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:27 pm

Just finished replacing a skid plate on a 8x6 NF Sadie.  Took it all apart to clean it out and what do I find ? the internals were not even glued in place.  That explained the knocking sound when I gave it a little shake.  All fixed now.
so I checked some of my other touch sensitive coils, guess what, nothing is glued in place.  No wonder they went off when they hit a small rock, it's loose and moving inside the casing.  WTF  affraid 
I know these things are mass produced but a dab of silicone to hold the shite in place wouldn't hurt, especially when you look at the price we pay for them.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Rooly and Trooly touch sensitive Coils Empty Re: Rooly and Trooly touch sensitive Coils

Post by Biggest Kev Sat 23 Nov 2013, 8:13 pm

Hey Cliff I've got a Coiltek Goldstalker 14" its a tad noisy, took the skid plate off found grass seeds n dirt cleaned it up put it back together but still noisy so I stopped using it.
Now I'm thinking it might be the same problem you had with your coil, I'll pull it apart tomora and check it out, thanks for your post.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Rooly and Trooly touch sensitive Coils Empty Re: Rooly and Trooly touch sensitive Coils

Post by Bignuggs Sun 24 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm

Ya learn by your mistakes and here's on I've just learnt. Never use silicone to seal your skid plates.
It was a bloody headache getting one off a coil. Looked like there is a reaction and it actually melts itself to the plastic skid plate.
Think I'll be trying a thing called "no more gaps" next and see how that goes.
Yeah I know, I should just use the tesa tape but I want to keep the dust and crap right out.
All suggestions are welcome.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Nov 2013, 3:14 am

Bignuggs wrote:Ya learn by your mistakes and here's on I've just learnt.  Never use silicone to seal your skid plates.
It was a bloody headache getting one off a coil.  Looked like there is a reaction and it actually melts itself to the plastic skid plate.
Think I'll be trying a thing called "no more gaps" next and see how that goes.
Yeah I know, I should just use the tesa tape but I want to keep the dust and crap right out.
All suggestions are welcome.

Hi Cliff

Had the same issues with my nf spoked mono's and tried a few things as well, although you tape the outer edge in the dust just goes in through the inside of the spokes anyway, what I experimented with was using some thin self adhesive soft foam tape around the bottom edge of the coil body and then fitting the plate back on that worked ok but the tape does not last very long and you then have to get it back off at some point, not hard but time consuming.

Tried it attached to the skid plate and also another time to the coil, either way will work to a point but you have to get some very thin soft foam tape or its difficult to get the skid plate back on evenly.

In the end I just found it easier to remove the tape, clean out the dust and re tape the coil, back to square one.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 26 Nov 2013, 8:05 pm

Yep, agree. Next time just a dab of something here and there and tape all round. Inside and out of the spoked coils.
First time I've done it and ya live and learn.

Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 10 Dec 2013, 8:18 pm

What a bloody nightmare.  I've tried Kero, Petrol, sharp blade and the good old rub with the thumb method.
Once the silicone gets a hold of the plastic, it won't let go.
Now I gotta get hold of some selley's silicon remover and see how it works and hope it doesn't melt the skid plate    lol! 
Life is interesting   Very Happy 

cheers 
Cliff

PS. message to myself, never use silicone sealant on skid plates    Razz

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down