Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Broke A Fret

+3
Gwalia23
snapper
Biggest Kev
7 posters

Go down

I Broke A Fret Empty I Broke A Fret

Post by Biggest Kev Fri 05 Apr 2013, 3:42 pm

How many of you guys have broken a handle on your detectors,I've heard lots of stories and always thought they must be swinging too bloody hard. Well it happened to me on our last trip out bush using standard 11inch coil and I'm no wild swinger just minding my own business walking along swinging at a slow speed when the handle started to feel abit strange it started to get a wobble up then I realised the bloody handle was about to come adrift SHITE. I made some quick repairs to get me through the day and bought a new handle in Kal from Finders Keepers who were only open to do a stocktake but were very kind to help me out,thanks guys.

I Broke A Fret Img_0710

Cheers Kev

Last edited by Bignuggs on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : attachments for documents not for photo's, it chews up storage space.)
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

I Broke A Fret Empty Re: I Broke A Fret

Post by snapper Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:41 pm

G,day Kev, i use a hip stic and bungy as well as a swing arm and all this takes the weight of the coil, so when swinging the detecter the strain is not on the handle, but with all this on the detecter it makes the whole lot heavier.
I picked the detecter up of the ground the other day and heard a crack so i think mines on the way out and will order one before it breaks completly, cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:47 pm

Hi Stu, Yeah the hip stick is on the list of things to get, the missus uses one and wont use the detector without it now, we're getn old.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwalia23 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:58 pm

Same thing happened to me last year. Couldn't get a replacement at Cue (wasn't really expecting to though) so used the same repair material as you with the help of a couple of hose clamps until i could get a new one. I do use a bungy but when i looked at the way i was picking up & putting down the detector i made a few changes . Also looked at packing out the shaft a bit so didn't overtighten the handle on the shaft

Gwalia23

Back to top Go down

Post by carms Sat 06 Apr 2013, 1:58 am

Just happened to a person at the van park yesterday.....must be that time of the month....he actually ordered a wooden handle? someone makes these with the button and everything just instead of plastic he uses various woods....might look strange but if you make it from mulga the thing would never break
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Apr 2013, 10:36 am

Kev,

You fret about these things to much,,,,,,,,, I Broke A Fret 3179412840

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:59 pm

Have a look at things you buy these days. Plastics in one form or another. Nothing is made to last, it keeps companies in business.
But it has given me an idea Very Happy

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:38 pm

just make sure the handle is tightly secured around the shaft--it shouldn't move..or slide..
i have about 6 in stock--just in case..

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday monday on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 4:06 pm

oneday monday wrote:just make sure the handle is tightly secured around the shaft--it should move..or slide..
i have about 6 in stock--just in case..

regards
oneday

In that case, mine is too tight as it doesn't move at all! I'll get that slackened immediately before I break it,,,,,,,,, Razz

Cat

Back to top Go down

I Broke A Fret Empty i broke afret

Post by exkiwi123 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 8:18 am

back in the 1980/2 had a vlf detec got to the beach rdo/// found that i had left the bottom shaft at home after washing the parts down Had a look around the beach and there was a piece of bamboo shaped it to size and drilled a small hole with my knife for the bolt to go through and back to ute in the back of the seats with all the rubbish was my great companion the DUCT tape i never go anywhere without it ex kiwi fixed in 5 minutes :afro: :afro: :afro:

exkiwi123

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Tue 09 Apr 2013, 9:38 am

sweet as eh Bro!!! :afro: :afro: lol!

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:04 pm

OMG!!!
Cliff's had an idea
affraid affraid affraid

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:01 pm

You're a cheeky bugger Robert Razz and yes it has given me an idea for the hand grips.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down