Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metal detectors: Insurance cover

+2
goldpan
Pebbles
6 posters

Go down

Metal detectors: Insurance cover Empty Metal detectors: Insurance cover

Post by Pebbles Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:01 pm

I would be interested in hearing how many people worry about insuring their detectors when they’re away on a trip. Cover against theft is probably my main concern. Personally, I have never worried about it much, but my Home and Contents policy is up for renewal and I thought I would make some enquiries.

I am with the RAC and was advised that while the detectors are at home they are covered by my home contents policy. However, when they are out of the home they are not covered. I could ensure them under a Personal Valuables policy that would cover them for “loss, damage or destruction”, but NOT against theft.

Usually, I am pretty careful with the detectors. When buying fuel, supplies etc. I have the detectors covered and the vehicle (80 serials) locked. Out in the bush, the detectors(and coils) are never left back in camp and stay with the vehicle.

Hopefully I will never need it, but I am starting to think that insurance (if I can get it) might be a good idea.

Thanks

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Metal detectors: Insurance cover Empty Re: Metal detectors: Insurance cover

Post by goldpan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:51 pm

take it from me and get the best cover for your detectors,i unfortunately did not and had 2 detectors ++ gear stolen...they are high demand items and bloody expensive.

goldpan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:33 pm

It might pay you to ring some brokers and let them do the hard work of finding an insurance package for you.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:24 pm

Try APIA (Australian Pensioners Insurance), we have ours with them, seperate from the "home and contents" insurance. Also you may need to specify on your home and contents insurance that the detectors at $6k a pop are "high value" items just like expensive jewellery. Otherwise they may not pay out if they do get stolen.

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:58 pm

Pebbles,
I also have my detectors/laptop/sat phone etc insured with RAC but under a "Your Personal Valuables Cover" (This is in addition to our Home and Contents insurance) and your comment that they are not covered for theft worried me. I have just spoken to the RAC and they confirm that items listed in that policy are covered Australia wide for a range of events including Theft.
Also remember that just because you have home contents insurance most policies only provide cover whilst the items are secured in your home and have limits on how much will be paid out in the event of a claim. If your 5000 is stolen from home you may only get a fraction of that amount back unless the detector was listed as a specified item. If you want to cover your detector when its away from home you may need to take out an additional policy
Check with your insurer if you have any concerns and document any conversations to avoid any arguements later on
Regards
Woteva

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Metal detectors: Insurance cover Empty Metal detectot insurance

Post by Pebbles Sun 07 Apr 2013, 8:17 am

Woteva
Following your post I spoke with the RAC again and what you say is quite correct. I have now taken out some Personal Valuables cover that will cover me for theft (amongst other things) outside my home anywhere in Australia. The person I spoke with also assured me that detectors are covered for their full value under my existing Home Contents policy (when at home).
The first time I rang the RAC I did have a bit of a feeling that the person I spoke with wasn’t quite sure of her facts as she seemed to be cross checking with someone during our conversation.
Anyway, it’s sorted out now.
Thanks.
Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

That comment near the end,",,,,I did have a bit of a feeling that the person I spoke with wasn’t quite sure of her facts,,,," really annoys me with people that you contact about anything. Insurance companies are close to the worst as well. They seem to be able to answer questions that cover about 80% of any general situation, that anybody with three brain cells could work out for themselves. But ask 'em something a teensy bit out of the norm and they have "panic attack"! Then they either start wafflling or start making it all up! Then I get really annoyed!!

I've lost count of the number of times I've called,"Whoooa, dere Trigger" and stopped the conversation right there and said (in polite terms)," Now you know that's not right, don't you?". It's fascinating the number of times they agree!!

The WA Mines Dept is briiliant at "not knowing" the Mining Act. I usually have a good time with them,,,,,,,,,,

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by philip.j.thompson Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:12 pm

Hi all I'm with the NRMA in NSW and we have up to 10,000 insurance when travelling with items in car ie detector plus coils.
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:21 pm

Had to check my contents insurance policy this arvo. Things like detectors & detecting gear & guitars are not covered. it's not classed as household gear.
I would have to pay extra for cover. My fault for not asking to begin with, but why don't they tell you that. Coz it's in the fine print.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:23 pm

just like flood insurance--is separate from your normal insurance

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:29 pm

I'm not sure if it is written but it's called the "Act of God" clause. Yeah right Evil or Very Mad
Like a flood or cyclone is an act of god Evil or Very Mad
I apologize to the people on this forum who are believers but I'm not one of them.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Metal detectors: Insurance cover Empty insurance

Post by exkiwi123 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:23 am

Bought a Ally craft 4.35 boat new $16.000 2001 rang nrma nsw what would happen if the towing vehicle broke down and would they pick up the boat as well ??? no was the answer unless it was included in the insurance so check with the insurance company /// NO 2 when i bought this boat it was delivered to my home As you do/ got to take it for a run and discoverd that they do not give you a spare tyre @ rim this is a brand new boat @trailer Off to the wreakers found a tyre @rim same hole pattern but the rim was wider than the existing ones so back to boat dealer to get the right one @189.00 so do some checking before you buy I did ask the boat dealer dont trailers get flat tyres ?????? ex kiwi :afro: :afro: :afro:

exkiwi123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down